Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to make a cooler?

I am a college student at a school with a dry campus. However, next
semester i will be living in my fraternity house and those arent dry
ever. I was just wondering what yall would recommend using if I am
trying to build a coffee table taht will also be able to double as an
ice chest?? thank you very much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 12, 8:57 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

I am a college student at a school with a dry campus. However, next
semester i will be living in my fraternity house and those arent dry
ever. I was just wondering what yall would recommend using if I am
trying to build a coffee table taht will also be able to double as an
ice chest??

A couple of big Igloo coolers, 50 lbs of ice, 3-4 cases, and you are
in business.

Biggest problem:

Finding someone to make a beer/ice runG

Been there, done that.

Lew

luckily my roommate is 22 so that wont be a problem. haha.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Couple years back an acquaintance of mine made a couple out of reclaimed RV refrigerators. Removed
cooling equipment and rolled it on its back and hooked up a drain. Built a wood case for it. Each
held something like 6 cases of barley pop plus ice. The pair was enough for one weekend at
rendezvous.

Regards,
Roy

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:11:23 -0700, wrote:

I am a college student at a school with a dry campus. However, next
semester i will be living in my fraternity house and those arent dry
ever. I was just wondering what yall would recommend using if I am
trying to build a coffee table taht will also be able to double as an
ice chest?? thank you very much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
A couple of big Igloo coolers, 50 lbs of ice, 3-4 cases, and you are
in business.

Biggest problem:

Finding someone to make a beer/ice runG

Been there, done that.

Me, too. I was the oldest in my particular suite, so I got elected to make the
liquor runs. I can remember making one on a moped. I had loaded down the back
of the thing so much it was all I could do to steer it.... the front end was
barely touching the ground. However, being the skilled and natural athlete that
I was, I managed it without breaking a single bottle.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Jun 12, 6:11 pm, wrote:
I am a college student at a school with a dry campus. However, next
semester i will be living in my fraternity house and those arent dry
ever. I was just wondering what yall would recommend using if I am
trying to build a coffee table taht will also be able to double as an
ice chest?? thank you very much.

The coolers available today will far and away exceed the capabilities
of the "olden" wooden stuff. Enjoy in moderation! DAMHIKT. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

As usual I can't wait to post, and haven't read anything else yet. You need
to know this.
I bought a mini fridge. A std. white one. The type with a freezer up top
inside (with a flap down door) , a full height swinging front door, which
had a bottle holder shelves on the inside of the front door. I got it new
on sale. I measured every dimension and took a picture with stickies inside
showing them all.

I was into home brewing beer at the time. I would brew my own batch, and
used to have my own brown plastic bottles. At the home brew place you could
clean out your bottles, and fill up using their equipment. Can't remember
about the caps, whether to keep em or not. Doesn't matter. I found out
they would just as easily fill your entire home brew batch into keg(s),
rahter than bottles. The whole thing only took an hour, hmm. Make a new
batch, and fill up yer keg(s). There was about seven and a half cases
(24x341mL) for $80 or something

Then I went to the Brewers Retail, the only place to buy beer in Ontario,
and bought their taps. You may have cheaper options. The chrome plated one,
the same one at all the bars. Just used the black plastic handle it came
with, but could add your own. The kit came with all the hoses and fittings
to connect to a CO2 bottle, which come in std. sizes. I think I got the 5
litre size? You get the CO2 bottle from a safety supply place, where they
sell fire extinguishers. They refill them for $10 or something. Its just
compressed gas, same as all taps. Bottle to keg. Keg to tap. Std,
threads, all included, with hoses, no loop back. Bottle pressurizer keg,
don't drink it.

Kegs themselves can be bought form the Beer Store (Breweres Retail store),
or directly at the brewery, where you can measure the kegs. The kegs are
proprietarty and are a multitude of varying sizes in all the capacities.
You leave a deposit ($50) and keep the keg, no questions asked. Its yours.
Or bring it back for $50, or a new keg.

Then I cut off the white plastic off the inside of the front door leaving
cardboard and foam, hole saw a (~3/4"?) hole in the front of the door for
the tap, attaching flush and tight with a threaded shaft and nut
(included), the CO2 bottle sits on the back ledge of the fridge, behind the
lower crisper area, the keg sits on that floor bottom. I had to take the
frezeer door off, then the neck and hoses fit perfectly, and the temp was
perfect. To the degree.

There a clamping valve that goes to the CO2 tank (had a pressure guage
somewhere in there I think), clear plastic hoses, fittings, a front tap, the
keg, a fridge, and any beer. Nothing else. The beer is cold, and its not
wasting energy. One keg in, one keg out.

Best beer I ever had. It was heavenly. I had to sell it, I drank too much.
Now I'm down to 6 a day, thank god. Sold the whole thing away for less than
$300, including the (one?) keg. You could put a lock on it. And you don't
need to homebrew. Theres guys who run hoses to their living room.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am a college student at a school with a dry campus. However, next
semester i will be living in my fraternity house and those arent dry
ever. I was just wondering what yall would recommend using if I am
trying to build a coffee table taht will also be able to double as an
ice chest?? thank you very much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mortimer Schnerd, RN mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
A couple of big Igloo coolers, 50 lbs of ice, 3-4 cases, and
you are in business.

Biggest problem:

Finding someone to make a beer/ice runG

Been there, done that.

Me, too. I was the oldest in my particular suite, so I got
elected to make the liquor runs. I can remember making one on a
moped. I had loaded down the back of the thing so much it was
all I could do to steer it.... the front end was barely touching
the ground. However, being the skilled and natural athlete that
I was, I managed it without breaking a single bottle.

My roommate was arrested for driving drunk on a moped. My moped -- I
was too poor to afford a car at the time. I carried many a case of
beer on that thing, the beer balanced between my legs. A mighty 50cc
two-stroke engine, one speed, top speed of almost 30mi/hr on flat
ground. But it still beat the hell out of walking. I must have put
10,000 to 20,000 miles on that little thing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am a college student at a school with a dry campus. However, next
semester i will be living in my fraternity house and those arent dry
ever. I was just wondering what yall would recommend using if I am
trying to build a coffee table taht will also be able to double as an
ice chest?? thank you very much.

I have some thoughts here. First if you are going to be drinking often, keg
beer is cheaper than bottles or cans, and if you rely on refrigeration then
you never have to worry about running out of ice or draining the cooler.

I think I would search for a refrigerator that can be converted into a keg
storage/dispenser, and then pass the hat for the necessary plumbing for the
tubes, the taps and the CO2. This will also reduce the amount of clean up
required and reduce the amount of trips to the liquor store.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 12, 9:11 pm, wrote:
I am a college student at a school with a dry campus. However, next
semester i will be living in my fraternity house and those arent dry
ever. I was just wondering what yall would recommend using if I am
trying to build a coffee table taht will also be able to double as an
ice chest?? thank you very much.

2 bottles of port
1 bottle of orange juice
1 40-pounder of vodka
1 bag of ice
slice up an orange to make the chicks think you're 'gourmet'.

THAT is how you make a cooler.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
2 bottles of port
1 bottle of orange juice
1 40-pounder of vodka
1 bag of ice
slice up an orange to make the chicks think you're 'gourmet'.

THAT is how you make a cooler.

Not to expose my lack of education and couth, but what the hell is a
"40-pounder" of vodka?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:21:44 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Robatoy wrote:
2 bottles of port
1 bottle of orange juice
1 40-pounder of vodka
1 bag of ice
slice up an orange to make the chicks think you're 'gourmet'.

THAT is how you make a cooler.

Not to expose my lack of education and couth, but what the hell is a
"40-pounder" of vodka?

Best guess 5 gallons, with water equal to 8 lbs a gallon it is a
reasoned guess though.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

actually the hoses were shiny black, not clear

Posted to rec.woodworking

and maybe the bottle was on the floor. It was tight.

"bent" wrote in message
actually the hoses were shiny black, not clear

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you've got enough brains to study, you've got enough brains to drink
eight beers while you're doin' it; that's what I always say.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can fit bottles in all kinds of places, and the door should open just
fine.

You may also want to look into sheet insulation with foil on the sides.

Or a full sized fridge and keg(s).

"bent" wrote in message
If you've got enough brains to study, you've got enough brains to drink
eight beers while you're doin' it; that's what I always say.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
2 bottles of port
1 bottle of orange juice
1 40-pounder of vodka
1 bag of ice
slice up an orange to make the chicks think you're 'gourmet'.

THAT is how you make a cooler.

Not to expose my lack of education and couth, but what the hell is a
"40-pounder" of vodka?

Best guess 5 gallons, with water equal to 8 lbs a gallon it is a
reasoned guess though.

Mark

40 ounces... it's a tough-guy-spit-on-the-floor kinda expression. A
quart, in these necks of the woods, is 40 ounces....'cuz our gallons
are 160 ounces. Imperial and all that rot.
A case of beer is a two-bah-four... or toofer.

You guys will have to work a little harder to become a Canuck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
| On Jun 12, 9:11 pm, wrote:
|| I am a college student at a school with a dry campus. However, next
|| semester i will be living in my fraternity house and those arent
|| dry ever. I was just wondering what yall would recommend using if
|| I am trying to build a coffee table taht will also be able to
|| double as an ice chest?? thank you very much.
|
| 2 bottles of port
| 1 bottle of orange juice
| 1 40-pounder of vodka
| 1 bag of ice
| slice up an orange to make the chicks think you're 'gourmet'.
|
| THAT is how you make a cooler.

Eh?

1 part grenadine
1 part frozen lemonade concentrate
2 parts vodka

(a "part" can be a metric or imperial "anything" - quarts work well,
but I've never tried liters or hogsheads.)

They'll _know_ you're gourmet if you tell 'em you hand squeezed the
pomegranates. :-D

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
2 bottles of port
1 bottle of orange juice
1 40-pounder of vodka
1 bag of ice
slice up an orange to make the chicks think you're 'gourmet'.

THAT is how you make a cooler.

Not to expose my lack of education and couth, but what the hell is a
"40-pounder" of vodka?

Best guess 5 gallons, with water equal to 8 lbs a gallon it is a
reasoned guess though.

Mark

40 ounces... it's a tough-guy-spit-on-the-floor kinda expression. A
quart, in these necks of the woods, is 40 ounces....'cuz our gallons
are 160 ounces. Imperial and all that rot.
A case of beer is a two-bah-four... or toofer.

You guys will have to work a little harder to become a Canuck.

Sorry I have a hard enough time remembering how to be an "american".
But upon the beaches of North Carolina, the drink was 5 gallons Hi C,
2 gallons Ever Clear, and cut up fruits.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

2 bottles of port
1 bottle of orange juice
1 40-pounder of vodka
1 bag of ice
slice up an orange to make the chicks think you're 'gourmet'.
THAT is how you make a cooler.

Gawd, you sure know how to screw up good 100 proof vodka.

Best way to serve 100 proof vodka:

2 fingers, 38F, 100 proof vodka, served in a chilled martini glass
straight up while wearing insulated gloves.

From a distance of at least 10 ft, quietly whisper "vermouth" with
your back turned to glass.

This step is critical least you be labeled as: "LOUDMOUTH"

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:

Sorry I have a hard enough time remembering how to be an "american".
But upon the beaches of North Carolina, the drink was 5 gallons Hi C,
2 gallons Ever Clear, and cut up fruits.

Went to a CO-OP, school (work a quarter, school a quarter).

One quarter my roommate worked in the pharmacy at the Cleveland Clinic.

Pharmacies have 195 proof grain ethyl.

More than once a large cough syrup size bottle would show up in our
13th floor room containing 195.

This required a visit to the local grocery for some Hawaiian Punch.

Middle of winter, Cleveland, OH, 13 floors up, 10 minutes on the
window ledge, no ice necessary.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 13, 10:13 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Gawd, you sure know how to screw up good 100 proof vodka.

Hell, you kidding me? I wouldn't drink that cooler crap.

Best way to serve 100 proof vodka:

2 fingers, 38F, 100 proof vodka, served in a chilled martini glass
straight up while wearing insulated gloves.

From a distance of at least 10 ft, quietly whisper "vermouth" with
your back turned to glass.

I like a little more vermouth in mine. I take the cap off, blow some
air, mixed with vermouth fumes towards the martini glass....but just a
short whiff of air.. not too much...from about 20 feet.

Q: "Twist of lemon?"
A: "If I want lemonade, I'll ask for it."

Q: "Ice?"
A: " I'm here to drink, not to skate."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I like a little more vermouth in mine. I take the cap off, blow some
air, mixed with vermouth fumes towards the martini glass....but just a
short whiff of air.. not too much...from about 20 feet.
Q: "Twist of lemon?"
A: "If I want lemonade, I'll ask for it."

Q: "Ice?"
A: " I'm here to drink, not to skate."

Just remember, 1st liar doesn't have a chanceG.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
40 ounces... it's a tough-guy-spit-on-the-floor kinda expression. A
quart, in these necks of the woods, is 40 ounces....'cuz our gallons
are 160 ounces. Imperial and all that rot.
A case of beer is a two-bah-four... or toofer.

You guys will have to work a little harder to become a Canuck.

Don't you worry about stepping in the moose **** when you go out to get the
paper in the morning? Polar bears knocking over your trash cans? Killer whales
in your lakes eating fishermen?

Canada is a scary place. I'll stay where I am, thank you, where I can work on
my suntan in January.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Don't you worry about stepping in the moose **** when you go out to get

the
paper in the morning? Polar bears knocking over your trash cans? Killer

whales
in your lakes eating fishermen?

Canada is a scary place. I'll stay where I am, thank you, where I can

work on
my suntan in January.

Moose turds are no problem, just bring the hockey stick and whack it back at
em. Polar bears stay away from most parts of Canada, and the whale problem
is way overblown. Canada has a big problem with Ottawa and certain people
that dwell therein.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Don't you worry about stepping in the moose **** when you go out to get the
paper in the morning? Polar bears knocking over your trash cans? Killer
whales in your lakes eating fishermen?

Canada is a scary place. I'll stay where I am, thank you, where I can work
on my suntan in January.

Moose turds are no problem, just bring the hockey stick and whack it back at
em. Polar bears stay away from most parts of Canada, and the whale problem
is way overblown. Canada has a big problem with Ottawa and certain people
that dwell therein.

My mistake. Here I focused on the polar bears and moose mounds when I should
have spoken more about the frogs.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com