@sbc(nospam)global.net

Default A subject that probably has been beaten to death

I haven't seen the table saw shootout in Wood mag yet. Even though I'll
read it soon, I would like the opinions of people who have actually put
cabinet saws through their paces. I will be buying one by the end of
the year. Price is no concern, don't mean to brag. I won't cut
corners on the foundation of a good shop. And Made in the US will
figure heavily in the decision making process. I'm tired of supporting
China while our manufacturing base here is taking such a hit. No
political commentary meant by this, I have Chinese friends who mean a
lot to my family. Oops, getting off topic... Sorry I realize it will
most likely be a Jet vs Delta debate as usual. Unless there are worthy
competitors now? TIA

Swingman

North America close enough? I own a Unisaw. I've used a Jet. I've used a
Powermatic. I've played with and looked under the hood of the General 350
cabinet saw. If I was doing it again, I would look _real_ hard at the
General ... that is one mighty fine table saw.

That said, there is very little difference between the field when it comes
to cutting wood and you would be happy with any one of them, so don't fixate
too much ... the idea is to start making sawdust.

Also, keep in mind that some of the components of just about any tool you
buy these days is likely to be from the far East.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/24/03

" wrote in message
I haven't seen the table saw shootout in Wood mag yet. Even though I'll
read it soon, I would like the opinions of people who have actually put
cabinet saws through their paces. I will be buying one by the end of
the year. Price is no concern, don't mean to brag. I won't cut
corners on the foundation of a good shop. And Made in the US will
figure heavily in the decision making process. I'm tired of supporting
China while our manufacturing base here is taking such a hit. No
political commentary meant by this, I have Chinese friends who mean a
lot to my family. Oops, getting off topic... Sorry I realize it will
most likely be a Jet vs Delta debate as usual. Unless there are worthy
competitors now? TIA

DJ Delorie

If price is no object, why get one generic saw when you can buy
specific saws for each type of cut?

panel: http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0501
crosscut: http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0502
rip: http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0524

(on a more serious side, check out the Grizzly cabinet saws too)
@sbc(nospam)global.net

Do you happen to know the web site of the woodworking show that travels
around. I used to be on the mailing list, but haven't seen anything for
a while. I am kind of leaning towards the Unisaw. But I'm redoing the
basement now, so it's not a rush...

Swingman wrote:

North America close enough? I own a Unisaw. I've used a Jet. I've used a
Powermatic. I've played with and looked under the hood of the General 350
cabinet saw. If I was doing it again, I would look _real_ hard at the
General ... that is one mighty fine table saw.

That said, there is very little difference between the field when it comes
to cutting wood and you would be happy with any one of them, so don't fixate
too much ... the idea is to start making sawdust.

Also, keep in mind that some of the components of just about any tool you
buy these days is likely to be from the far East.

Leon

" " wrote
in message y.com...
I haven't seen the table saw shootout in Wood mag yet. Even though I'll
read it soon, I would like the opinions of people who have actually put
cabinet saws through their paces. I will be buying one by the end of
the year. Price is no concern, don't mean to brag. I won't cut
corners on the foundation of a good shop. And Made in the US will
figure heavily in the decision making process.

Then you want to look at Northfield...
Delta, Jet, Grizzly pale in comparison.

That said, if money does matter a bit, The brands you spoke of will probably
be plenty for you. If you rule out a tool because of country of origin It
sounds like you are more interested in USA built vs. the best possible
machine.

Bay Area Dave

how come you didn't mention Altendorf, Leon?

dave

Leon wrote:

" " wrote
in message y.com...

I haven't seen the table saw shootout in Wood mag yet. Even though I'll
read it soon, I would like the opinions of people who have actually put
cabinet saws through their paces. I will be buying one by the end of
the year. Price is no concern, don't mean to brag. I won't cut
corners on the foundation of a good shop. And Made in the US will
figure heavily in the decision making process.

Then you want to look at Northfield...
Delta, Jet, Grizzly pale in comparison.

That said, if money does matter a bit, The brands you spoke of will probably
be plenty for you. If you rule out a tool because of country of origin It
sounds like you are more interested in USA built vs. the best possible
machine.

Steve Turner

nospam wrote:
snip
.... And Made in the US will
figure heavily in the decision making process.

snip
... I realize it will
most likely be a Jet vs Delta debate as usual. snip

Delta it is then, unless I'm incorrect in thinking the Jet is made outside the
USA. Isn't Powermatic still made here? That's certainly a fine machine.

Unless you want to move up to a 12" or 14" as someone else suggested (and move
WAY up in price, as well) about the only other serious choice is the General
350 (provided "Made in Canada" is something you can accept). I have to admit,
with a saw of that caliber, the issue of where it's made starts to lose its
importance with me. But I hear you; damned cheap foreign labor! And we
woodworkers have to compete with it too.

A.I.

Powermatic 66, end of story! I had my eye on the 5HP version of this saw
for many years, now as a new and very happy owner I can so no regrets
whatsoever. I own a Delta DJ-20 jointer as well, but as for the table saws,
that PM just looked and felt better.

hda
" " wrote
in message y.com...
I haven't seen the table saw shootout in Wood mag yet. Even though I'll
read it soon, I would like the opinions of people who have actually put
cabinet saws through their paces. I will be buying one by the end of
the year. Price is no concern, don't mean to brag. I won't cut
corners on the foundation of a good shop. And Made in the US will
figure heavily in the decision making process. I'm tired of supporting
China while our manufacturing base here is taking such a hit. No
political commentary meant by this, I have Chinese friends who mean a
lot to my family. Oops, getting off topic... Sorry I realize it will
most likely be a Jet vs Delta debate as usual. Unless there are worthy
competitors now? TIA

Eric Lund

" " wrote
in message y.com...
I haven't seen the table saw shootout in Wood mag yet. Even though I'll
read it soon, I would like the opinions of people who have actually put
cabinet saws through their paces. I will be buying one by the end of
the year. Price is no concern, don't mean to brag. I won't cut
corners on the foundation of a good shop. And Made in the US will
figure heavily in the decision making process. I'm tired of supporting
China while our manufacturing base here is taking such a hit. No
political commentary meant by this, I have Chinese friends who mean a
lot to my family. Oops, getting off topic... Sorry I realize it will
most likely be a Jet vs Delta debate as usual. Unless there are worthy
competitors now? TIA

If price is not a concern, then you should definitely consider the Laguna
TSS (http://www.lagunatools.com/tss.asp). 3.5 horse motor driving a 12"
blade, another motor drives a scoring blade. Sliding table with capacity
for full size sheet goods. Bies type fence. True European riving knife.
Easy access to blade for changing. More. $3995. Someday...

BTW: If not made in USA, then made in Europe. Laguna gets most of their
stuff from Europe.

Seriously cool saw.

Cheers,
Eric

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 00:49:23 GMT, "Swingman" wrote:

North America close enough? I own a Unisaw. I've used a Jet. I've used a
Powermatic. I've played with and looked under the hood of the General 350
cabinet saw. If I was doing it again, I would look _real_ hard at the
General ... that is one mighty fine table saw.

Wood really liked the General.

I've also noticed that in several pictures in the FW "Tools and Shops"
issue, General cabinet saws appear.

Barry
Jack Kerouac

Heres a cabinet saw test via the tauton press:

www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00042.asp

good luck.

--
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get
out of my way.
I haven't seen the table saw shootout in Wood mag yet. Even though I'll
read it soon, I would like the opinions of people who have actually put
cabinet saws through their paces. I will be buying one by the end of
the year. Price is no concern, don't mean to brag. I won't cut
corners on the foundation of a good shop. And Made in the US will
figure heavily in the decision making process. I'm tired of supporting
China while our manufacturing base here is taking such a hit. No
political commentary meant by this, I have Chinese friends who mean a
lot to my family. Oops, getting off topic... Sorry I realize it will
most likely be a Jet vs Delta debate as usual. Unless there are worthy
competitors now? TIA

BUB 209

If you have access to 3 phase current
its a definite advantage. Makes it
almost impossible to overload a
tablesaw.
Doug Miller

www.thewoodworkingshows.com

--
Regards,
BiggMutt53

After reading the replys, I can only add that for me the Jet/Unisaw choice I
made several years ago was a tossup; Delta used to have a slightly better motor
but Jet has taken care of that aspect. I was going to buy the Jet but got a
deal on a "Great White" leftover and they threw in a dust collector hood (which
Jet came with) and another blade and matched Jet's slightly lower price. Price
with me was also not an option (i.e., buy good quality and cry only once) as
$200 plus or minus would not change my life (I quit cigs and justified it that
way).

But one thing others overlooked was the Delta Unifence. I hemmed and hawed
over it (I could have had the Bies) but I'm glad I chose the unifence. Rock
solid, very versitile, different, but in a good way. It's a matter of taste,
to be sure, but go and play around with both and then make your choice. It
takes a little bit more work to make jigs that fit over the extruded aluminium,
as it is not a boxy square like the bies, but the sliding fence makes up for
it. Whatever you buy I think you will be happy as you are looking at quality
saws.