Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Acronyms & Slang ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

The following list was posted several years ago, so it's probably
worth repeating it for those who came later. It's not an exhaustive
list, probably the tip of the iceberg, but you get what you pay for.
No claims are made for its accuracy or political correctness.

AFAIK As Far As I Know
Big Box Store Home Depot, Lowe's (others in different localities)
BS Band Saw or Bull Sh_t
BT3000 Table Saw made by Riobi
BTW By The Way
Chop Saw A metal cutting tool, functions like a miter saw
CMS Compound Miter Saw
Crapsman Derogatory name for Sears products
Deja News searchable archive of NG postings
http://www.dejanews.com/
DAMHIKT Don't ask me how I know this
(Read as: I once screwed up the same way)
DIY Do it yourself
DW DeWalt
FAQ Frequently asked questions
FF Face Frame
FS For Sale
FWIW For whatever its worth
FW or FWW Fine Woodworking Magazine
GW Garrett Wade
HF Harbor Freight
HD Home Depot (U.S. largest building supply chain)
IIRC If I recall correctly
IOW In other words
IMHO In my humble opinion
KD Kiln dried
Lowe's Second largest building supply chain in U.S.
MDF Medium Density Fiberboard
Neander WW who abstain from the use of power tools
(Also Neanderthal)
Newbie Someone who shows they have not read the NG that much
Norm Norm Abram of the NYW (syndicated WW show on PBS)
Normites follower of Norm and user of dedicated power tools
NYW New Yankee Workshop, seen on PBS, and in abridged versions
On the DIY network
NG News Group or no good
Orange Tools router bits made by CMP and painted orange
OTOH On the other hand
PC Porter Cable

Persuader large deadblow hammer
POS Piece of sh-t
RAS Radial Arm Saw
ROS Random Orbit Sander
SCMS Sliding compound miter saw
S4S sanded on four sides
SS Scroll saw or stainless steel
SWMBO She who must be obeyed (aka a wife)
SWAG Silly wild ass guess
TANSTAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch
TIA Thanks in advance
TS Table Saw
VSR Variable speed reversible
WW wood working
Yellow tools Tools made by DeWalt
YMMV disclaimer (Your milage may vary)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24 May 2007 08:15:00 -0700, GROVER
wrote:

ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

The following list was posted several years ago, so it's probably
worth repeating it for those who came later. It's not an exhaustive
list, probably the tip of the iceberg, but you get what you pay for.
No claims are made for its accuracy or political correctness.

SNIP
Yellow tools Tools made by DeWalt
YMMV disclaimer (Your milage may vary)

I always thought that "yellow tools" were those that belonged to JOAT
and had not been "borrowed" by his kids.

Dave Hall
Posted to rec.woodworking

GROVER wrote:
| ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

snip

It might be time to add:

ABPW news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
BORG Big Orange Retail Giant
BS Bandsaw
DAGS Do/did a Google Search
DP Drill Press
LV Lee Valley Tool Co
WTB Want to buy
WTF I don't understand

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, GROVER wrote:
ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

[snip]
S4S sanded on four sides

Actually means *surfaced* on four sides, typically planed on the faces and
straight-line rip sawed on the edges. Sometimes sanded too, but usually not.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 24, 11:53 am, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
GROVER wrote:

| ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

snip

It might be time to add:

ABPW news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
BORG Big Orange Retail Giant
BS Bandsaw
DAGS Do/did a Google Search
DP Drill Press
LV Lee Valley Tool Co
WTB Want to buy

WTF I don't understand

LMAO

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24 May 2007 08:15:00 -0700, GROVER
wrote:

You may want to update it a bit.

ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

The following list was posted several years ago, so it's probably
worth repeating it for those who came later. It's not an exhaustive
list, probably the tip of the iceberg, but you get what you pay for.
No claims are made for its accuracy or political correctness.

Big Box Store Home Depot, Lowe's (others in different localities)

Also known as the borg (reference to Star Trek or some such and the
alien borg that threatened to assimilate us all), which is probably
even more widely used (and less understood) than Big Box Store.

BT3000 Table Saw made by Riobi

Also commonly known as BT3K.

Chop Saw A metal cutting tool, functions like a miter saw

Technically true, except that almost everyone in woodworking refers to
a miter saw (the wood kind, and non-compound, and non-slider) as a
chop saw.

Crapsman Derogatory name for Sears products

But well deserved in many cases.

Deja News searchable archive of NG postings

I believe they no longer exist, being taken over by Google.

FS For Sale

You should probably add other prefixes, such as FA (for auction), WTB
(wanted to buy), OT (off topic), etc.

Neander WW who abstain from the use of power tools

I believe it's generally considered poor form to use acronyms to
define acronyms, particularly when they themselves have yet to be
defined in the list (see also NG).

Norm Norm Abram of the NYW (syndicated WW show on PBS)
Normites follower of Norm and user of dedicated power tools
NYW New Yankee Workshop, seen on PBS, and in abridged versions
On the DIY network

You might mention that some readers are incapable of seeing a
reference to Norm or TNYW without flying into paroxysms of anti-brad
nailer epithets.

It would not upset me to see certain fan sites mentioned in
conjunction with Norm and TNYW.

Orange Tools router bits made by CMP and painted orange

I believe you mean CMT.

Persuader large deadblow hammer

Doesn't have to be a dead blow. Doesn't even have to be a hammer. I
refer you to the phrase "brogan maintenance" which, although brogan is
probably no longer a well recognized name for shoe, means to kick it.

If you're going to mention "persuader" you might also include
"Tennessee smoke wrench" or its variants, as synonymous with applied
(perhaps injudiciously) heat (propane, MAPP, or acetylene).

S4S sanded on four sides

I believe that's actually "surfaced four sides." Usually planed, less
frequently sanded. Also, there are S2S and S3S variants.

TANSTAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

Not enough "As"; count 'em. TANSTAAFL. Every rule of abbreviation,
capitalization, or acronyming requires that if you count one of those
you must count the other, or count neither, which renderes the acronym
unpronouncable (in my view a principle tenet of acronyms)

WW wood working

Popularly known (at least by a couple of us) as "wood-dorking." Ask
your kids or your wife or Tom.

What about "the wreck?" Although if one is here, one probably already
knows that.

Maybe it's not the same as the old days, and the chief practitioner
has wandered away, but at one time it was quite common to supplement
any word which has an alternative Canuckistani spelling with a
parenthetical rendering of that spelling including an aside to David
(as in David Eisan, now, unfortunately, an infrequent visitor, but at
one time perhaps the most successful fisherman on the wreck). e.g.
"that's a nice color (colour, David)."

You can check (cheque, David) with other regulars on that.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 24, 11:55 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .com, GROVER wrote:

ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

[snip]
S4S sanded on four sides

Actually means *surfaced* on four sides, typically planed on the faces and
straight-line rip sawed on the edges. Sometimes sanded too, but usually not.

--
Regards,

Doug,
You are correct, I'll fix it for the next iteration.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:

Maybe it's not the same as the old days, and the chief practitioner
has wandered away, but at one time it was quite common to supplement
any word which has an alternative Canuckistani spelling with a
parenthetical rendering of that spelling including an aside to David
(as in David Eisan, now, unfortunately, an infrequent visitor, but at
one time perhaps the most successful fisherman on the wreck). e.g.
"that's a nice color (colour, David)."

You can check (cheque, David) with other regulars on that.

SOB! I miss that guy. :-(

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

GROVER wrote:

| ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

snip

It might be time to add:

ABPW news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
BORG Big Orange Retail Giant
BS Bandsaw
DAGS Do/did a Google Search
DP Drill Press
LV Lee Valley Tool Co
WTB Want to buy
WTF I don't understand

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Morris,
Thanks for the suggestions, I will include yjem next time.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 May 2007 10:53:49 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

GROVER wrote:
| ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

snip

It might be time to add:

BORG Big Orange Retail Giant

Although some folks have created that definition to fit the acronym, I
believe most will agree it's a reference to the Star Trek (or
something) beast in space called the borg which will assimilate us
all.

Particularly so since the borg is also Lowe's (blue), Menards (unknown
color), Farm & Fleet (ditto), and others, rendering the "orange" part
a non-sequitir.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

L Rod,
Thanks for your input, I will include your suggestions in the near
future. I guess I'll have to start giving this list a revision number
and date
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 24, 12:07 pm, LRod wrote:

You can check (cheque, David) with other regulars on that.

Not to pick nits, but when a Canuckistani writes a cheque, he checks
to see if he wrote it correctly. A 'cheque' is a separate word.

Posted to rec.woodworking

GROVER wrote:

ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

KD Kiln dried

Or knock-down, depending on context.

FIL, MIL, BIL, SIL the in laws

SWMBO She who must be obeyed (aka a wife)

Also LOML (love of my life)
Posted to rec.woodworking

ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

A few more I've seen:
Griz Grizzly tools
HD Usually Home Depot, but I've seen it used as 'Heavy Duty' also
LN Lie-Nielsen tools
LABP Low Angle Block Plane
LOML Love Of My Life, a slightly more respectful (IMHO) term for
wife. (Also not gender-specific.)
M&T Mortise and Tenon
QSWO QuarterSawn White Oak
SFWIW Frequently used where I think FWIW would be more appropriate -
apparently adds a "So" to the beginning.

Thanks for compiling these,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24 May 2007 09:46:41 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

On May 24, 12:07 pm, LRod wrote:

You can check (cheque, David) with other regulars on that.

Not to pick nits, but when a Canuckistani writes a cheque, he checks
to see if he wrote it correctly. A 'cheque' is a separate word.

As the long suffering spouse of a genuine Canuckistani (from Ontario,
too, no less), I should have known that. It may have gotten missed in
the purge, though (she's been "below the border" for nearly 40 years
now). I rarely hear her say "colour," "theatre," or "neighbour"
anymore. And she hasn't said "chesterfield" in years.

I should have used a better example.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

WTF I don't understand

Well done! Think "WTF!?" but say "I'm afraid I don't quite
understand
the point you were trying to make. Could you repeat it - please -
sir?"

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 24, 12:07 pm, LRod wrote:

Norm Norm Abram of the NYW (syndicated WW show on PBS)
Normites follower of Norm and user of dedicated power tools
NYW New Yankee Workshop, seen on PBS, and in abridged
versions on the DIY network

You might mention that some readers are incapable of seeing a
reference to Norm or TNYW without flying into paroxysms of anti-brad
nailer epithets.

I have printed out your post and glued it to the wall with a few brads
to hold it until the glue dries. ( I of course took the time to read,
understand and follow all of the safety rules that came with my nailer
and didn't forget the most important safety rule of all, safety
glasses)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

LRod wrote:

Maybe it's not the same as the old days, and the chief practitioner
has wandered away, but at one time it was quite common to supplement
any word which has an alternative Canuckistani spelling with a
parenthetical rendering of that spelling including an aside to David
(as in David Eisan, now, unfortunately, an infrequent visitor, but at
one time perhaps the most successful fisherman on the wreck). e.g.
"that's a nice color (colour, David)."

You can check (cheque, David) with other regulars on that.

SOB! I miss that guy. :-(

That list keeps getting longer.

Duke of URL

Larry Jaques (NO C!)

Danny Priloux

O'Deen / Paddy / Paddy Lac (the coiner of Scary Sharp?)

Conan the Librarian

Paul S.

Dave Fleming (the boat builder)

:
:
:

Fewer mentors - and less humor.

Thankfully, The Two Toms (Watson and Plamann) stop by
once in a while.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 24, 1:38 pm, Andy wrote:
ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

A few more I've seen:
Griz Grizzly tools
HD Usually Home Depot, but I've seen it used as 'Heavy Duty' also
LN Lie-Nielsen tools
LABP Low Angle Block Plane
LOML Love Of My Life, a slightly more respectful (IMHO) term for
wife. (Also not gender-specific.)
M&T Mortise and Tenon
QSWO QuarterSawn White Oak
SFWIW Frequently used where I think FWIW would be more appropriate -
apparently adds a "So" to the beginning.

Thanks for compiling these,
Andy

Thanks for input, Andy. I gotten enough additions to be working on the
next revision.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24 May 2007 08:15:00 -0700, GROVER
TANSTAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

Already been mentioned that it's actually TANSTAAFL. Might be nice to
credit Robert A. Heinlein for coining the term in his novel, "The Moon
is a Harsh Mistress".

Posted to rec.woodworking

GROVER wrote:
[...]

All this and no "skunk ****"???

Wayne

P.S. That would be penetrating oil
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, May 24, 2007, 8:15am (EDT-3) (GROVER) doth
posteth:
****************ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC
WOODWORKING
The following list was posted several years ago, so it's probably worth
repeating snip

I sue don't recal it. Or, I immediately drove it from my mine.
Yeah, that's probably it. Needs a LOT of editing, things need
correcting, added, modified, etc. Needs a LOT of input from outside the
U.S. too. So, in no alphabetical order.

You show Norm, but you left out Roy and Bob. Which is reason enough to
believe this list is totally phone. Remember Nor and Roy, good. Bob,
evil.

HD - Home Depot, Home Desperate, to be avoided.

ACE - American hardware store

WAG - Wild ass guess.

SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obedient

APBW - news:alt.binaries.pictures.weapons

Archives - also rec.woodworking archives - this is where you go to look
up questions that have been beaten to death dozens of times already.
Read here and you wan't need to ask so many dumb questions, just a few -
http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...g&lr =&num=30

ROTFLMAO - Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off

WTF - Another polite way of asking, What kind of a dumb ass
thing/question is that?

PC - Politically correct

I've got a better idea. Just post the link to the archives
everyonce in awhile, and let people look this thread up and read it.

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you need to list these common items for folks who do NOT know these
things, you should probably include some emoticons as well. After all, a
proper understanding (and use) of emoticons can prevent some flame wars.

Maybe we need some kinda nerd version of Smoky Bear. (Only you can prevent
flame wars)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , NoOne N
Particular wrote:

All this and no "skunk ****"???

Bug spit = shellac

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24 May, 17:20, LRod wrote:

Particularly so since the borg is also Lowe's (blue), Menards (unknown
color), Farm & Fleet (ditto), and others, rendering the "orange" part
a non-sequitir.

Orange is nice because it also translates the acronym to "B&Q" in the
UK.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 25, 9:12 am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 24 May, 17:20, LRod wrote:

Particularly so since the borg is also Lowe's (blue), Menards (unknown
color), Farm & Fleet (ditto), and others, rendering the "orange" part
a non-sequitir.

Orange is nice because it also translates the acronym to "B&Q" in the
UK.

Didn't I read in here that somebody died drinking shellac?
Supposedly, it was quite a finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...

WTF I don't understand

LMAO

Yeah, that's like

HEY! MF, Hey! My Friend. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25 May 2007 05:55:24 -0700, RayV wrote:

Coors Light

Isn't that redundant?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 25, 10:16 am, LRod wrote:
On 25 May 2007 05:55:24 -0700, RayV wrote:

Coors Light

Isn't that redundant?

--

LOL...but try to think of Coors Heavy. Nummienums...all that flavour!
*rubbing my tummy and drooling in anticipation!*

Is this Friday?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25 May 2007 08:25:53 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

On May 25, 10:16 am, LRod wrote:
On 25 May 2007 05:55:24 -0700, RayV wrote:

Coors Light

Isn't that redundant?

--

LOL...but try to think of Coors Heavy. Nummienums...all that flavour!
*rubbing my tummy and drooling in anticipation!*

Nummienums? Please. I recall the days when I was living in Illinois
(where we had to put up with Stroh's and Falstaff) and Coors was
legendary there. It was never sold east of the Mississippi in those
days, and I guess that must have made it seem mystical. However, when
I made my first trip to Denver and tried one out I thought, "what the
hell is the fuss about? This is like flavored water."

Once it eventually became available east of the river, I tried it
again with the same result. There is no Coors heavy. There's Coors
(translate to "Coors Lite") and then there's Coors Lite, which as I
say, is redundant. They could have perfectly described their
tasteless, body-less "light" offering just by saying Coors.

Is this Friday?

Yes.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"LRod" wrote in message

Once it eventually became available east of the river, I tried it
again with the same result. There is no Coors heavy. There's Coors
(translate to "Coors Lite") and then there's Coors Lite, which as I
say, is redundant. They could have perfectly described their
tasteless, body-less "light" offering just by saying Coors.

Yabbut, you just never had to drink Pearl, or else!

Brings to mind an old post:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...67c08298805988
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 25, 10:16 am, LRod wrote:
On 25 May 2007 05:55:24 -0700, RayV wrote:

Coors Light

Isn't that redundant?

--

LOL...but try to think of Coors Heavy. Nummienums...all that flavour!
*rubbing my tummy and drooling in anticipation!*

Nummienums?

Is there an emoticon for tongue-in-cheek?

There is no Coors heavy.

Imagine if there was. Then you'd have a concentrated version of
flavoured water. Extra boredom.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

There is no Coors heavy.

Imagine if there was. Then you'd have a concentrated version of
flavoured water. Extra boredom.

Coors, the product of a malcontented horse.

Ranks right up there with Falstaff, Pearl, Milwaukee's Best, and
probably at least a 100 others.

Lew

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , duckecho@gmail-dot-com wrote:
Nummienums? Please. I recall the days when I was living in Illinois
(where we had to put up with Stroh's and Falstaff)

Don't forget Rhinelander -- worst beer _by_far_ that I have ever tasted.

and Coors was
legendary there. It was never sold east of the Mississippi in those
days, and I guess that must have made it seem mystical. However, when
I made my first trip to Denver and tried one out I thought, "what the
hell is the fuss about? This is like flavored water."

I had the identical experience. IMO Coors beer is just another example of an
inferior product made popular by skillful marketing.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 25, 1:36 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

There is no Coors heavy.

Imagine if there was. Then you'd have a concentrated version of
flavoured water. Extra boredom.

Coors, the product of a malcontented horse.

What is amazing, is how much your average consumer forgets when they
taste something 'without' a label.
Case in point was that my mentor at the National Research Council was
an avid scotch drinker. As this was well known amongst his followers,
he ended up with a collection of scotches second to none. A cellar
full. I don't think he was ever stumped when asked if he had a certain
brand.
One night, as guests at his house, my crew and I were challenged to a
double blind taste test. His wife, who would serve us, had no clue
what we were trying either. She served up 8 glasses with coded numbers
taped onto them, and all of us went from glass to glass, making notes
as we went along.
They were clearly very different, from pale to almost cognac-like.
We all agreed on the worst (IIRC, it was Vat 69) and almost all of us
preferred the same one...I distinctly remember it was Bells. Chivas,
Livit, and a few other high-end ones rated average. Granted, none of
my guys, or me, were experts.

ABC news recently did a similar test with vodka.
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Story?id=3201973&page=1

When you don't know what it is... many pre-conceived ideas go right
out the window.
BUT... there is no way in hell that Coors would get past me. Or Bud.

I have been told, that if you drink enough Coors, you end up goos-
stepping as you walk. (Must be the Adolph ingredient?)

r---- who is off to the pub for an Erdinger.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 May 2007 17:43:17 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , duckecho@gmail-dot-com wrote:
Nummienums? Please. I recall the days when I was living in Illinois
(where we had to put up with Stroh's and Falstaff)

Don't forget Rhinelander -- worst beer _by_far_ that I have ever tasted.

Hamms did it for me.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

r---- who is off to the pub for an Erdinger.

Give me a pinot noir over a beer any day ... any vintage that you can dunk a
Bluebell sugar free popsicle in will do just fine, right Leon?.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 25, 3:13 pm, "Swingman" wrote:

... any vintage that you can dunk a
Bluebell sugar free popsicle in will do just fine, right Leon?.

Okay. Spill!