Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lie Neilsen #7

I've been lusting after a LN #7 for quite some time and finally have
got the nod from my wife, bless her heart.

My indecision starts when I look at the low angle joiner for $100
less. I have a low angle smoother and a low angle jack that I just
love using.

My question is why I would want the bench plane over the low angle
one. What will the regular #7 do that the low angle can't and vice
versa?

My credit card is starting to smoke in my wallet with anticipation!

Thanks for any input

Scott in KC
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Scott" wrote in message
I've been lusting after a LN #7 for quite some time and finally have
got the nod from my wife, bless her heart.

My indecision starts when I look at the low angle joiner for $100
less. I have a low angle smoother and a low angle jack that I just
love using.

My question is why I would want the bench plane over the low angle
one. What will the regular #7 do that the low angle can't and vice
versa?

My credit card is starting to smoke in my wallet with anticipation!

Thanks for any input

Scott in KC

I have the LN low angle jack and while it absolutely shines when planing
straight clear grain, the low angle is more prone to tearout when the grain
starts getting tricky or reverses. You may want to keep that in mind,
especially if you'll be using your #7 to flatten panels, not just joint
edges.

Whichever you decide, congrats on the purchase.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in
. net:

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

One of the 'advantages' of the low angle plane is that, with the
purchase of additional blades, one can have 'higher angle' planes
available by swapping in reground blades. Works pretty easily with
bevel up planes. Not quite so simple with bevel-down, traditional
setups.

Higher angle setups deal with changing grain patterns somewhat more
easily.

Enjoy your new tools.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 136...
"Joe" wrote in
. net:

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Very true. I've often considered going exclusively to low angle planes for
this reason. One of the things that has kept me from doing so is that on
the low-angle, bevel up plane, the chip breaker function is lost close to
the cutting edge. It's been my experience that the chipbreakers function
becomes more and more important the steeper the cutting angle. So while you
can get many different angles with bevel up using different blades, there
are diminishing returns the steeper you go.

Either way, I wish I had the OP's problem.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

I was leaning towards the low angle version as it seems more versitile
based on my experience with my other two low angle planes. I have yet
to experiment with using higher angle grinds on the blade, but am
looking forward to giving it a go.

Thanks again for the input

Scott in KC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Scott" wrote in message
I've been lusting after a LN #7 for quite some time and finally have
got the nod from my wife, bless her heart.

My indecision starts when I look at the low angle joiner for $100
less. I have a low angle smoother and a low angle jack that I just
love using.

My question is why I would want the bench plane over the low angle
one. What will the regular #7 do that the low angle can't and vice
versa?

It seems to me that the No 7 worked better for me with shooting boards than
the low angle jointer... found the same thing with the No 5 vs. the low
angle jack when I tried my No 5 against my friend's low angle jack. It was
a combination of the feel of the plane in my hand and my greater tendency to
rock the low angle planes... the greater mass helps too when shooting long
or wide stock.

For bench planes I've got L-N 4, 5 and 7 and an L-N scrub. The 5 and scrub
are recent purchases and the more I use them the more I like them. I ordered
the 5 for my boys to use as a jointer as the 7 is too big for them... but
now that I've got it I find that it's great for me too! ;~) I'm tinkering
with the sharpening of the No 5 at the moment... moving towards a more
convex grind a bit at a time until I find the sweet spot for me.

Next on my list is the, finally released, large router that Tom told me
about over two years ago. One always has to have the next purchase in mind
upon completion of an acquisition. ;~)

John