Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Are Lie-Nielsen planes...

as uncomfortable in the hand as they appear? Veritas doesn't make every
type of plane I'd like to purchase, and when I look at the images of
the LN planes, they look like they have sharp, unfriendly bodies. I'm
only interested in the rabbet and specialty planes of theirs. I have
all the block, jointer, and jack planes I need.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Glen

David wrote:
as uncomfortable in the hand as they appear? Veritas doesn't make every
type of plane I'd like to purchase, and when I look at the images of
the LN planes, they look like they have sharp, unfriendly bodies. I'm
only interested in the rabbet and specialty planes of theirs. I have
all the block, jointer, and jack planes I need.

Dave

I only have 2 LN, the low angle jack and the large scraper. I have a
few LV as well. Uncomfortable is not a word I would use to describe LN.
Beautiful, excellent, slick, all seem to fit, but uncomfortable? No.

Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"David" wrote in message
as uncomfortable in the hand as they appear? Veritas doesn't make every
type of plane I'd like to purchase, and when I look at the images of the
LN planes, they look like they have sharp, unfriendly bodies. I'm only
interested in the rabbet and specialty planes of theirs. I have all the
block, jointer, and jack planes I need.

Their edges are nicely finished, as with the rest of the plane. If you are
ham-handed, you will find the clearances similar to the heritage planes they
imitate. Advantage LV. As to a rabbeting plane, you do have a fence and
the LV shoulder, if you care.

Posted to rec.woodworking
eganders

I just got the LN 60 1/2R rabbet plane for Christmas. I agree that
some of the LN planes don't look as comfortable as the Lee Valley
planes, but this one seems to be an exception. The top heel section is
rounded and fits in the palm of your hand very nicely. If you opt to
go with this plane, I think you will be happy with it. I was waiting
around to see if Lee Valley was going to come up with one with an
adjustable mouth, but decided not to wait.