Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Clamping beveled joints

I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along their
length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. I have some corner
miter clamps that I can put on the top & bottom but what do you recommend to
apply pressure to the center area? Web clamps will actually pull the joint
apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Vic

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along
their
length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. I have some corner
miter clamps that I can put on the top & bottom but what do you recommend to
apply pressure to the center area? Web clamps will actually pull the joint
apart.

Any suggestions?

How about some of these:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6525

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Vic Baron wrote:
I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along their
length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. I have some corner
miter clamps that I can put on the top & bottom but what do you recommend to
apply pressure to the center area? Web clamps will actually pull the joint
apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Vic

Lay the pieces bevel down on the workbench and butt the points together.
Run masking/painter's tape along the seam of the joint. "Fold" the
pieces to close the miter. Put some rubber bands around the pieces to
hold the joint closed.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 12:54 pm, "Vic Baron" wrote:
I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along their
length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. I have some corner
miter clamps that I can put on the top & bottom but what do you recommend to
apply pressure to the center area? Web clamps will actually pull the joint
apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Vic

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

I guess you don't want something like this:
http://www.msu.edu/~larson25/pics/kegerator/joint.jpg

If the pieces are nice and straight you should be able to tape across
the outside of the miter and close up the miter.

or see if you can clamp one piece to a 4x4 or similar with the miter
overhanging the edge then clamp the other board in place. You may
need to rip the corner off of the 4x4 to get the miter to sit tight.

perfect reason to buy
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...py6181ff4f034f

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Have one - helps with the alignment but the clamping is still difficult.
However the tape method seems like the way to go!

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Vic Baron wrote:
I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along their
length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. I have some corner
miter clamps that I can put on the top & bottom but what do you recommend to
apply pressure to the center area?

How about a variation on this theme?

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/works...r_clamping.jpg

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
Vic Baron wrote:
I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along
their length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. I have some
corner miter clamps that I can put on the top & bottom but what do you
recommend to apply pressure to the center area?

How about a variation on this theme?

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/works...r_clamping.jpg

Chris

I looked at that - should be easy to make if the tape method isn't
satisfactory.

Thanx!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 12:54 pm, "Vic Baron" wrote:
I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along their
length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. I have some corner
miter clamps that I can put on the top & bottom but what do you recommend to
apply pressure to the center area? Web clamps will actually pull the joint
apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Vic

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

Garden variety bar clamps can do the job. You can reinforce the
alignment with biscuits. You don,t need anything too exotic for this
application. Look for horses not zebras.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

Vic Baron wrote:

I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees

along their
length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg.

snip

A piece of aluminum angle extrusion and some C-Clamps.

Cover the angle with packing tape then use the angle as a form and
clamp the parts to it until the glue dries.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
Vic Baron wrote:

I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees

along their
length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg.

snip

A piece of aluminum angle extrusion and some C-Clamps.

Cover the angle with packing tape then use the angle as a form and clamp
the parts to it until the glue dries.

Lew

I'll have to take a look at that. I have some angle iron around somewhere.
By using the corner miter clamp on the top and bottom, I can keep the
alignment. I mainly want to apply some clamping pressure along the length of
the piece.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg.

snip

A piece of aluminum angle extrusion and some C-Clamps.

And, if he's got some money to spend.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...64&cat=1,41659
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...65&cat=1,43838
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...01&cat=1,43838
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...73&cat=1,43838

Posted to rec.woodworking

Vic Baron wrote:
I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along their
length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. I have some corner
miter clamps that I can put on the top & bottom but what do you recommend to
apply pressure to the center area? Web clamps will actually pull the joint
apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Vic

Cut 4 pieces, form them into a box. Only glue the edge you need. Use
rubber bands to clamp
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 9, 7:43 am, shawn wrote:
Vic Baron wrote:
I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along their
length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. I have some corner
miter clamps that I can put on the top & bottom but what do you recommend to
apply pressure to the center area? Web clamps will actually pull the joint
apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Vic

Cut 4 pieces, form them into a box. Only glue the edge you need. Use
rubber bands to clamp

Nice & simple, I like it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 9, 7:43 am, shawn wrote:
Vic Baron wrote:
I have two pieces of oak - 17" x 3" that are beveled 45 degrees along
their
length. I need to glue them to form a 90 degree leg. I have some corner
miter clamps that I can put on the top & bottom but what do you
recommend to
apply pressure to the center area? Web clamps will actually pull the
joint
apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Vic

Cut 4 pieces, form them into a box. Only glue the edge you need. Use
rubber bands to clamp

Nice & simple, I like it.

Me too!

Beveled edge laminate countertop Jesse Home Repair 0 October 6th 06 05:37 AM
Traditional M&T joints or floating Tennon joints? mcgyver Woodworking 12 August 13th 06 02:40 PM
Clamping a T Bill Schwab Metalworking 1 April 21st 06 11:11 PM
Need help w/ clamping James Owens Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 05:33 PM
questions on switching from 1/2x8 to 1/2 x 6 beveled cedar siding? Doug Woodworking 2 June 28th 03 03:00 PM