James Owens

Default Need help w/ clamping

I have a table with mitered aprons with splines in the aprons and legs.
However, the legs protrude past the corner or intersection of the aprons and
legs, along with an inset of about 1/4 in. I have tried to clamp with
corner clams and bar clamps, but without success. I have posted a photo at:
http://home.insightbb.com/~joskydive/DSC03238.htm. Any recommendations on
how to clamp this table is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

no(SPAM)vasys

James Owens wrote:
I have a table with mitered aprons with splines in the aprons and legs.
However, the legs protrude past the corner or intersection of the aprons and
legs, along with an inset of about 1/4 in. I have tried to clamp with
corner clams and bar clamps, but without success. I have posted a photo at:
http://home.insightbb.com/~joskydive/DSC03238.htm. Any recommendations on
how to clamp this table is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Clamp a QuickClamp to each of the apron on either side of the leg and
use the QuickClamps as blocking to hook bar clamp across the joint.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Joe Gorman

James Owens wrote:
I have a table with mitered aprons with splines in the aprons and legs.
However, the legs protrude past the corner or intersection of the aprons and
legs, along with an inset of about 1/4 in. I have tried to clamp with
corner clams and bar clamps, but without success. I have posted a photo at:
http://home.insightbb.com/~joskydive/DSC03238.htm. Any recommendations on
how to clamp this table is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Make a set of corner clamping blocks with a hole drilled in the inside
corner, similar to those used for picture frames. The hole prevents the
points of the miters from getting damaged. For your set the hole needs
to be large enough to clear the legs. See picture at
http://people.musc.edu/~gormanj/crnrclmp.bmp
Don't laugh at the home page, it's an old attempt and I can't find my
notes on it right now.
Joe
SonomaProducts.com

These guys are getting close.

Create blocks that you can clamp to each apron. One face of the block
is parallel to the apron, the other face of the block is parallel to
the face of the leg. Then clamp across the blocks. If you place the
blocks far enough back along the apron you can get the clamping force
directly lined up over the spline. Place a clamp above the whole mess
and is you have a clamp with a deep enough throat, place one outsode
the leg too.

The blocks will be sorta shaped like this \__ with the inside
angle of 135.