Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bench design with woodworking and engineer's vices (vises)

OK, so I've been using an old kitchen unit (from our first house), with
a sheet of hardboard screwed to the top, for a bench for 30 years: it's
about time I permitted myself a "proper" one. I'm looking forward to
making it: laminated top, proper woodworking vice (vise) on the front,
flush to the top, holes for dogs, cabinet underneath with drawers
instead of the wretched plastic drawers this kitchen unit has ...

Wait, though: although I do a lot of woodworking I am the house
maintenance man. My current bench thing has a 4" engineer's vice (like
this http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/09/p1123109_m.jpg ) and I use it
a lot, for holding metal things while I file, cut or hit them, for
holding pipes while I make capillary joints, for squashing metal things
flat, and a million other things.

So the question. If I make myself a proper bench, with woodworker's
vices (vises) at the front and at one end (with dogs), and maybe a tool
tray at the back ... where's the best place to put my engineer's vice so
I can still use it, but so it doesn't get in the way of the woodworking
space?

Best plan I can think of is about 2/3 of the way back at the left-hand
end of the bench, or maybe ditto at the right hand end. That way it
won't be in the way too much but still has enough space round it for
filing and cutting or whatever. Has anyone else solved this problem?

--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sir:

May I suggest the option I have?

I mounted my engineer's vice (machinist's vise here in the Colonies) on a
short piece of 2x6, with another piece glued and bolted vertically beneath
it. It makes a T when looked at sideways.

When I need the machinist vise, I clamp the bottom of the T in the
woodworker's vice, and have at it. When I'm done, I remove it and hang it
on a bracket on the side of my bench.

Two advantages: It's out of the way when not in use, and I like the vista
of an empty bench, AND I get a short aerobic workout each time I lift it
into operating position.

And, as a bonus, I accidentally mounted it so that when the jaws are turned,
I can clamp a pipe vertically in the jaws and it clears vise jaws and base
and can extend to the floor.

Can't do that on a bench mount.

Old Guy

"Henry Law" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not the OP, but thanks for this solution. I've been puzzling over the
same thing for the bench I hope I'll have one of these days.

To the OP, my "bench" sounds pretty much like yours. I got it free from a
friend, and hesitated a long time before putting it into my garage, for fear
that once it got there I'd end up using it for the rest of my life. That
might still happen, the way things go, but if I ever get a real bench in
there I'll use this suggestion.

Best regards,
Tom Dacon

newsep%h.99167$_c5.16055@attbi_s22...

"Henry Law" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

So the question. If I make myself a proper bench, with woodworker's
vices (vises) at the front and at one end (with dogs), and maybe a tool
tray at the back ... where's the best place to put my engineer's vice so
I can still use it, but so it doesn't get in the way of the woodworking
space?

I like the previous post about making a vise base to clamp in your
other vise. One solution I had rigged for a while was to drill 4
holes in my existing benchtop (could be dog holes), where I could run
bolts with fender washers through the vise and benchtop, where they
could screw into T-nuts (though the t-nuts wouldn't work with dog
holes).
In general, I'd highly recommend getting a workbench book (I've read
and enjoyed both Landis's and Schleining's versions). Lots of photos
and ideas I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.
Good luck and have fun with your new bench,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy wrote:
I like the previous post about making a vise base to clamp in your
other vise. One solution I had rigged for a while was to drill 4
holes in my existing benchtop (could be dog holes), where I could run
bolts with fender washers through the vise and benchtop, where they
could screw into T-nuts (though the t-nuts wouldn't work with dog
holes).

Andy, thanks for this suggestion. I too like the idea from "Old Guy"
(wonder if he's older than me, though :-) about the T piece. In fact,
like all the best ideas, I can take bits from both of these to fit my
circumstances more closely. The vice/vise I have is mounted on a base
which allows it to rotate, to which it's secured by bolts with handles
you can undo easily to loosen and tighten it. I'm thinking (need to
work it out on paper) that I could recess this base flush to the surface
of the bench and leave it there, and then drop the vice itself onto the
base and screw it in when I need it.

Anyway, whatever the outcome, thanks for the replies. I'm not a regular
here but I could be from now on - looks like a good community.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Henry Law wrote:
So the question. If I make myself a proper bench, with woodworker's
vices (vises) at the front and at one end (with dogs), and maybe a tool
tray at the back ... where's the best place to put my engineer's vice so
I can still use it, but so it doesn't get in the way of the woodworking
space?

Put the engineer's vise on a block of wood that you can clamp in the
woodworking vise.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Depending on the amount of room you have in the shop, consider mounting
the vise on a heavy duty base, separate from the bench. The "T"
clamping idea sounds good, but I wouldn't want to pound on it since I'd
be transferring energy to the woodworking vise. Us blacksmiths use post
vises which lend themselves to such separate supporting although they
are often clamped to the front of a bench. They all have a "leg that
extends all the way to the floor and are designed for hammering on big
time. The jaws, however, are not quite paralled, since the movable jaw
pivots from several inche below the top of the jaws. If you are
interested at all in this approach, you can email me off-list and I can
give you more detail.
Actually, I have just moved into my new woodshop and am looking for
a bench. The style you are getting rid of is just what I am looking for,
I think. (But I live in western Wisconsin)

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------------

Henry Law wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I made a bench from a desk. Drilled 3/4" holes spaced about 6" apart both
front to back and side to side (just a paddle bit). With 3/4" dowel, 2x4",
3/4" plywood, 1/4-20 threaded rod, nuts, washers, pipe clamps, "furniture
nuts?"(the cylinders with a tapped hole through it). I made hold downs,
wonder dogs, stop dogs, and edge (clamping) guides. I made the entire front
face a plywood jaw woodworking vice. I cut 4 pieces of 3/4" plywood 6" wide
( 3", 6", 6", 7" - totally guessing), and with door hinges, machined slots,
and permanently screwed to my swivel mechanics vice to them. So I can put
the mechanics vice along the front edge, clamping to the top with a
bolt/nut/washer, and clamping also with the ww vice, or anywhere on the top
with through the 3/4" holes and bolt/nut/washers only. So the mechanics
vice will sit flat on the bench, or at any angle, and anywhere on the bench,
but most importantly, it can be removed from the bench when I want it all to
myself.

_ _ _ _ to _ /\_ with the vice screwed to the second bar. Pieces 2 and 3
equal lengths - scissor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The weight is (mechanics vice mounting plate) on the bench. The ww vice is
used just for maintaning position. I have an adjustable angle plywood
mount so I can scissor the mechanics vice mounting plate at any angle,
including flat.

"spaco" wrote

..... but I wouldn't want to pound on it since I'd
be transferring energy to the woodworking vise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I insist on the tool tray

Posted to rec.woodworking

for the wonder dogs, I have the threaded rods cut at about 6" long, and just
have 2 nuts tightened to one another at the driving end, and I used a flat
bottomed 1/4" drill in some 1/2" x1/2" x 1/2" for clamping pads. These can
be [ or { or ( or or anything, everything in clamping, shape.

a 1-1/2" wide plywood with a 1/4" slot dowmn the center for a bolt threaded
co-axially into the dowel can be mounted (also in pairs) straight, normal,
or diagonally. The
_| 2x4" and dowel holddowns are pounded into the holes of the bench down
and are very tough

dogs will be dogs

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bent" wrote

I insist on the tool tray

I like the tool tray on a bench top. Is perfect for holding small tools,
including bench dogs. It does get dirty quickly though. Depending on what
you are doing on the bench, it can quckly fill up with sawdust, shavings or
whatever. Even an odd tool or piece of hardware shows up in the tool tray.

On my bench, I have a tool shelf about 8" high just below the bench top. It
is the full length and width of the bench. This is incredibly handy. I can
just reah under the bench and grab a drill, plane, etc.

I also have a cheapy RTA tool stand close by. It is about 14" square. I use
this for tools, drawings, etc. It is small and light enough to move around.
The more stuff you can get off of that bench top, the more space you have to
work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

__i_i_______
|__________|
| |
| |
---

pound down on i with hammer.

Bit of angle, and chamfer clamp area to match

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 06 May 2007 19:01:56 +0100, Henry Law
wrote:

[...]

You can bolt the vice to a piece of 3/4 inch ply and clamp it to your
woodworker's bench when needed. Or, you can build a separate
mechanics bench. I don't recommend a tool tray--it gathers junk like
an open sewer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 2:36 pm, "Old guy" wrote:
Sir:

May I suggest the option I have?

I mounted my engineer's vice (machinist's vise here in the Colonies) on a
short piece of 2x6, with another piece glued and bolted vertically beneath
it. It makes a T when looked at sideways.

"Old Guy" and others replied as above and I agree that this is a good
thing to set up. One additional wrinkle is, that if you construct the
T piece with some fore-thought, you can also use it in a "Work-Mate".
Work-mates are really handy. I have one and I always keep my eye out
when driving by yard sales to try to get another one cheaply.

Bill Leonhardt

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 2:36 pm, "Old guy" wrote:
Sir:

May I suggest the option I have?

I mounted my engineer's vice (machinist's vise here in the Colonies) on a
short piece of 2x6, with another piece glued and bolted vertically beneath
it. It makes a T when looked at sideways.

Old Guy and others suggested the use of a "t block" like set-up to
clamp the machinists vise in your woodworking vise. This may sound
obvious, but this is a good feature to clamp that vise in a Work-Mate
as well. I find my old series 200 Work-Mate very handy and I'm on the
lookout at yard sales for a second one.

Bill Leonhardt

Posted to rec.woodworking

Henry Law wrote:

So the question. If I make myself a proper bench, with woodworker's
vices (vises) at the front and at one end (with dogs), and maybe a tool
tray at the back ... where's the best place to put my engineer's vice so
I can still use it, but so it doesn't get in the way of the woodworking
space?

Best plan I can think of is about 2/3 of the way back at the left-hand
end of the bench, or maybe ditto at the right hand end. That way it
won't be in the way too much but still has enough space round it for
filing and cutting or whatever. Has anyone else solved this problem?

My solution was at one end, near the back corner. But this end of my
bench is away from the wall, so readily accessible. Used wing nuts on
the underside of the bench so that metalworking vise is readily
removable when I need all of the flat surface.

Another solution I have seen is to mount the metalworking vise to a
piece of plywood, with a cleat that can be held in your front vise of
the bench.