Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Design Advice Sought

I've been given my own room (about 12x13) to design as I wish. An amazingly difficult task as
my requirements appear to be a bit vague yet.

I am interested in any pointers (that may be in various directions) that may help me figure out
in more detail what it is I want.

So. This is to be somewhat eclectic. Multiple use.

Ideas of sorts that are elements of what I am looking for:
Art Deco flavors.
A relatively simple writing desk coming from out from the wall, oh about 2/3 way down the wall.
There is a window right beyond that. At the other end of that desk, in the middle of the room I
am thinking of a round or octagonal table of the same height as the desk. But this table should
allow seating for approximately six as I would like to be able to play cards or such. I am
thinking that it would be nice to have interchangable tops on this table. One top might be a
glass top that serves as a display case. Another top be a basic top as a general office work
surface. Another top something more useful for non-office work (model building, what have you,
something that can be nicked or what not). And a poker table top.

Along the wall next to the desk and then behind the desk (I'm imagining space of about 4-6 feet
to work with on the wall that the desk abuts) I'm thinking more along the lines of a built in
cabinetry. Lower part would be typical doors for storing office stuff or whatever. There might
be surface area at around the middle level. But then lots and lots of drawers/cubbies and what
not. Some behind doors perhaps and some not. Secret drawers. Etc. Farther up shelves and
such with possibly glass doors for display purposes.

This might possibly extend around the corner (and utilize the corner somehow) for another four
feet. Thus, in this area is the main work area (this would double as an office). Entertainment
would be around the main middle table but 'outside' the work area so to speak.

Opposite wall might have some sort of sideboard/sidetable with room for storage. Another wall
would have a decent amount of bookshelf room. Perhaps an art-deco style mirror or something
above the sideboard. Room for artwork along some walls of course.

I'm sure that is clear as mud, perhaps even a bit clearer than that.

The problem I have is where to start. I've already been poring through both woodworking books,
home office books and such. With little luck on ideas that appeal to me. I've done various
searches on the internet over the last few weeks ending up simply with sore eyes, sore back, and
frustration :-).

I would not be averse to building this myself - it would likely be a year or two to do so. But
designing it is currently a stumbling block.

What I would appreciate from this group is where one would start? Where to get good ideas? Is
this the sort of thing that I should try to find some form of craftsman/designer that I could
hire to help design it? Or are there actually books that might be more relevant to these sorts
of ideas? This is obviously custom work and I know I'm not going to simply find a 'plan' on the
web. But perhaps bits and pieces that could be cobbled together, etc. I'm at a loss.

Heck, I'd even be willing to buy a good informant a beer and a someone with really really good
information or such a dinner (Denver area). (The dinner thing would be home-cooked - not to
worry, my wife considers me a chef/gourmet cook.)

Cheers,
Joel

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 2
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 2, 12:42 pm, Joel ) wrote:
[...]

Web @http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

You do realize this is rec.woodworking right? Though I'm sure most of
us have dealt with decore at one time or another, I'm thinking this
might just be the wrong tree... ;-)

Good luck!

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, May 2, 2007, 11:42am (EDT-1) Joel ) doth
boast.
I've been given my own room (about 12x13) to design as I wish. snip
Heck, I'd even be willing to buy a good informant a beer and a someone
with really really good information or such a dinner (Denver area). (The
dinner thing would be home-cooked - not to worry, my wife considers me a
chef/gourmet cook.)

Good to hear you're old enough to have your own room now.

I don't care what your wife says, sounds like you're looking for a
date.

Your room, right? That means you're a big boy now, so you're gonna
have to make up your own mind on what you want in it, or don't want.

Or are you just yanking our chain?

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sigh. I thought that my question was actually fairly simple.

Where would one start looking for design ideas on aspects of this that are related to
woodworking? Or elsewhere.

I have a not-small pile of woodworking books and magazines.

I go into the detail I mention to get a flavor across that this is not a simple problem and that
some design aspects of this (wood-wise) may be subtle, may be important, or what not.

Where would you go for help in figuring this sort of design problem?

Perhaps y'all would prefer to just talk about table saw blades and router bits.
(somewhat sarcastic grin).

Cheers,
Joel

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 2
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joel ) wrote:

Sigh. I thought that my question was actually fairly simple.

Where would one start looking for design ideas on aspects of this that
are related to woodworking? Or elsewhere.

I have a not-small pile of woodworking books and magazines.

I go into the detail I mention to get a flavor across that this is not
a simple problem and that some design aspects of this (wood-wise) may
be subtle, may be important, or what not.

Where would you go for help in figuring this sort of design problem?

Perhaps y'all would prefer to just talk about table saw blades and
router bits. (somewhat sarcastic grin).

I missed the OP, but I think I get the drift. Go to Amazon.com and look
for books by Sarah Susanka. 'Inside the Not So Big House: Discovering the
Details that Bring a Home to Life ' is a good starter. Don't buy these
books; get them from the library.

While you are looking at her books, pay attention to the following
sections on the listing: 'Customers who bought this item also bought',
'What do customers ultimately buy after viewing this item?', 'So You'd
Like to...', and 'Listmania!'. Following the leads in these sections may
ultimately get you t exactly what you need.

Almost forgot, read the Reviews by customers. Sometimes you get good
pointers there.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, May 2, 2007, 4:45pm (EDT-1) Joel ) doth
wonderingly sayeth:
Sigh. I thought that my question was actually fairly simple.snip
I go into the detail I mention to get a flavor across that this is not a
simple problem and that some design aspects of this (wood-wise) may be
subtle, may be important, or what not.
Where would you go for help in figuring this sort of design problem?
snip

You sure you're not yanking our chain? First you say you thought
it was a simple question, then you say it's not a simple problem.

First I'll tell you where I'd go to figure out what I wanted if it
was me. I'd go sit down somewhere and ask myself what it was I wanted.
Once I decided that, the rest would just be doing it. The impression I
get is that you don't know what you want and want someone to tell you
what you want, or should get. Figure it out.

You want a simple answer to a not simple problem. OK, here's you
simple answer. Floor to ceiling bookshelves around the room, including
over the window and door. Leave a space along one wall for a long
bench/desk, where you can write, make models, or whatever. Folding
chairs, folding card table, for games, card playing. Good floor lamp.
Comfortable chair. Trash can, under the bench. Radio and/or CD player,
on the bench - you don't need a bunch of speaker, etc. Simple, and you
can look at all your stuff on the shelves. You want to get fancy, you
can make a poker top for the folding card table. And if you'd bothered
to think about it before you'd asked, you could have come up with about
the same.

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default woodworking/craftsman designers (was Design Advice Sought)

Thanks for the suggestion. Not quite what I'm looking for (I do have a few books along those
lines - especially related to home office and home library).

But after further perusing on the rec.woodworking list I ran across the
'myfurnituredesigner.com' link.

I'm thinking that's more of what I'm needing or looking for. Someone I could hire to help flesh
out ideas that I already have. And can help produce actual woodworking plans.

If anyone has pointers toward these sorts of services I would appreciate it.
Or pointers to a better list to ask this sort of question.

(And no reply needed from JT.)

Cheers,
Joel

I missed the OP, but I think I get the drift. Go to Amazon.com and look
for books by Sarah Susanka. 'Inside the Not So Big House: Discovering the
Details that Bring a Home to Life ' is a good starter. Don't buy these
books; get them from the library.

While you are looking at her books, pay attention to the following
sections on the listing: 'Customers who bought this item also bought',
'What do customers ultimately buy after viewing this item?', 'So You'd
Like to...', and 'Listmania!'. Following the leads in these sections may
ultimately get you t exactly what you need.

Almost forgot, read the Reviews by customers. Sometimes you get good
pointers there.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 2
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, May 3, 2007, 2:16pm (EDT-1) Joel ) doth
wave bye-bye with:
snip (And no reply needed from JT.)

Believe me, after looking at that myfurnituredesigner.com link,
that is not a problem. That whatchamacallit on the home page is Oogly
with a capital oo.

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joel ) wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Not quite what I'm looking for (I do have
a few books along those lines - especially related to home office and
home library).

But after further perusing on the rec.woodworking list I ran across
the 'myfurnituredesigner.com' link.

I'm thinking that's more of what I'm needing or looking for. Someone
I could hire to help flesh out ideas that I already have. And can
help produce actual woodworking plans.

If anyone has pointers toward these sorts of services I would
appreciate it. Or pointers to a better list to ask this sort of
question.

I looked at the site. The gallery looks to me like some of the standard
bits of furniture that come with CAD software. Before you sink money into
this service, think about what he's doing for the costs listed. YOU are
doing the Design and he seems to be doing nothing more than producing a
clean drawing and, if you pay more, a plan. What you initially said you
wanted was design advice. If you are going to do the design, you can do
the plan. Particularly if you expect to do the work. If you are not going
to do the work, hire a custom cabinet maker to do the whole thing.