Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Design Advice Sought

Wed, May 2, 2007, 4:45pm (EDT-1) Joel ) doth
wonderingly sayeth:
Sigh. I thought that my question was actually fairly simple.snip
I go into the detail I mention to get a flavor across that this is not a
simple problem and that some design aspects of this (wood-wise) may be
subtle, may be important, or what not.
Where would you go for help in figuring this sort of design problem?
snip

You sure you're not yanking our chain? First you say you thought
it was a simple question, then you say it's not a simple problem.

First I'll tell you where I'd go to figure out what I wanted if it
was me. I'd go sit down somewhere and ask myself what it was I wanted.
Once I decided that, the rest would just be doing it. The impression I
get is that you don't know what you want and want someone to tell you
what you want, or should get. Figure it out.

You want a simple answer to a not simple problem. OK, here's you
simple answer. Floor to ceiling bookshelves around the room, including
over the window and door. Leave a space along one wall for a long
bench/desk, where you can write, make models, or whatever. Folding
chairs, folding card table, for games, card playing. Good floor lamp.
Comfortable chair. Trash can, under the bench. Radio and/or CD player,
on the bench - you don't need a bunch of speaker, etc. Simple, and you
can look at all your stuff on the shelves. You want to get fancy, you
can make a poker top for the folding card table. And if you'd bothered
to think about it before you'd asked, you could have come up with about
the same.

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan