TAP

Default Cabinet Saw Opinions???

I have had both the Unisaw, and just recieved my new Jet Xacta saw. Have
only used it for a few weeks but love it. In fact I would recommend it over
the Delta. Just look at the 2 side by side and you will see the fit and
finish of the Jet is better. The unisaw I had had the metal motor cover, now
it is all plastic, the hand wheels are not as finished as they should be.
And if you need service on that Delta, Good luck. I have sold all my Delta
products, and will never own them again. And Delta owes it to themselves,
for not owning up to a problem they had with the table on their 14" closed
stand bandsaw, that was a major saftey hazard. had a Delta bench grinder
lasted litterally 30 minutes, capacitor gave up.
Now for a Jet story, purchased a 17" drill press, chuck was out about .0013,
called them they sent a new one out the same day. The funny thing was she
did not ask for any proof that I even purchased it. and when I asked where I
needed to send the old one, they responded keep it or throw it. That is
service. In fact at my local Woodcraft today one of the sales ppl. told me
about Jet replacing a large Lathe and did not request the old one back. I
guess the best thing I can say is just look at the 2 side by side and see
for your self. Delta built a reputation years ago when I think they
actually cared, now it is just about the bottom line.

Todd Pierce
"William & Lisa" wrote in message
All,

Has anyone owned or used any of the following table saws. If so, I would

be
interested on any feed back (the good, bad, and the ugly) you may have
regarding them. Thanks, Bill

Cabinet Saws
Grizzly G1023SL or G1023Z
General 50-260M-1
Shop Fox W1677
Jet Xacta Saw 708663PK
Hybrids
Dewalt Woodworker's table saw DW746XB or variant
Jet Supersaw 708777K or variant

Bob G

William & Lisa wrote:

All,

Has anyone owned or used any of the following table saws. If so, I would be
interested on any feed back (the good, bad, and the ugly) you may have
regarding them. Thanks, Bill

Cabinet Saws
Grizzly G1023SL or G1023Z
General 50-260M-1
Shop Fox W1677
Jet Xacta Saw 708663PK
Hybrids
Dewalt Woodworker's table saw DW746XB or variant
Jet Supersaw 708777K or variant

I have owned a Jet since the late 80's and absolutely love the thing...
It has been a workhorse in my shop and has never once given me any
problems and Honestly I can not tell you if I ever had to go back and
tinker with the setup after all these years... If I ever did I really
do not remember...

I ordered my saw directly from Jet with the a Biesmeyer Fence..(at the
time Biesmeyer was an independant company not owned by Delta) BUT I can
tell you right now That if I were looking today I would be more focused
on the Fence then on which brand saw I would be buying because I
personally do not think the differences in quality of the saws
themselves is all that much... (they are all pretty darn good)

Which saw on your list would I buy today is a question I can not answer
because I just stopped looking the day after I ordered my Jet so I have
no clue as to prices features etc on the newer saws..

I will tell you I Physically looked at 4-5 different brands before I
opened my wallet and truthfully there was not a lot of difference
between saws.... My choice was the Jet ONLY because the top was
machined much better (it shined more..lol) then the Unisaw...Heck of a
reason ...

As for the Hybrids ...? Personally I do not know what they really
offer...seems to me that the space savings issue is one of inches.. but
again I do not know...

Bob Griffiths

Ramsey

Todd, that is an interesting statement. Delta and Porter Cable are
owned by same folks as is Devilbiss. Porter-Cable is starting to
really catch some flack for sorry products (Bammer, 7529,etc,) so I
wonder if there really IS a trend here. Looks sorta like it.

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:52:30 -0500, "TAP" wrote:

[...]

Bay Area Dave

YOu say "funny thing" that you weren't asked for proof of purchase.
I've had numerous items replaced via phone tech support from Delta and
other suppliers, without them asking for POP. You are making a big
deal out of SOP.

The fit and finish on my Unisaw is fine. Yes, I've had issues with a
Delta BS, but my DP works like a champ and so does my Unisaw. I can't
comment on the Jet, since it isn't one of units that made my short list
when I was looking for a new TS. I looked mostly at the Powermatic and
Unisaw. I briefly looked at the General too, which looked ok. Any of
the 3 would be fine for most woodworkers, as I'm sure your Jet is also.

What is the safety issue with the table on the Delta BS, BTW?

dave

TAP wrote:
[...]

Swingman

I did ... and chose the Delta. Go figure ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/11/03

TAP wrote:

guess the best thing I can say is just look at the 2 side by side and

see
for your self.

Ramsey

First Jet product I bought was a drill press. Took it home, assembled
it by myself (17" model) and dreamed of all the little holes I would
soon be boring with my new dream machine. Then I turned it on. And
turned it off and never used it. I have NEVER seen such bad runout on
a drill press in my life and I have seen some really mistreated
machines. I cleaned the chuck, carefully examined how I put it back
together and it still amazed me with the amount of runout. It was SO
bad, I didn't even bother to measure it. Eliptical holes were not
something I was into at the time. Have heard since they let a TON of
those drill presses loose on the public. Didn't care. Sold mine to a
friend who was a machinist and insisted he would take care of it.
Now I own a Jet shaper and bandsaw and love them so I can only figure
they had a really bad batch of chucks or something. I do like the huge
drill press Delta has ($850) so I will go after it when I get a job.
But I don't think I wil ever spring for a Jet drill press again. I
know friends who have ownded Delta products that were junk so I think
we are back to the Ford/Chevrolet/Chrysler argument again. Of course,
everyone knows Chev's are the best.

TAP wrote:
[...]

Bill Wallace

Just considering the less than $1,000 crowd (the DeWalt 746 and the
Jet Super) They are very similar but... Jet has put a REALLY crappy
fence on the Super saw. I think they are very similar otherwise but I
would surly go with the DeWalt just for the fence.

Also both of these saws will run fine on 20 amp circuts. You need to
make sure you have the juice for the other saws.

"William & Lisa" wrote in message ...
All,

Has anyone owned or used any of the following table saws. If so, I would be
interested on any feed back (the good, bad, and the ugly) you may have
regarding them. Thanks, Bill

Cabinet Saws
Grizzly G1023SL or G1023Z
General 50-260M-1
Shop Fox W1677
Jet Xacta Saw 708663PK
Hybrids
Dewalt Woodworker's table saw DW746XB or variant
Jet Supersaw 708777K or variant

Rob

I have several Delta machines and several Jet.

I don't think either company is a clear winner all the time.

I have two Jet bandsaws. Love them both although their mobile bases suck.

I really love my Unisaw. I did compare it side by side with the Jet and
preferred the Unisaw. I also have a Unifence. Not available on the Jet.

I have had great customer service from Delta. No complaints here.

I don't think you would go wrong with either the Unisaw or Xacta.

You have to find what you prefer.

Rob

"JackD" wrote in message ...
[...]

Steve

"William & Lisa" wrote in message
All,

Has anyone owned or used any of the following table saws. If so, I

would be
interested on any feed back (the good, bad, and the ugly) you may have
regarding them. Thanks, Bill

Cabinet Saws
Grizzly G1023SL or G1023Z
General 50-260M-1
Shop Fox W1677
Jet Xacta Saw 708663PK
Hybrids
Dewalt Woodworker's table saw DW746XB or variant
Jet Supersaw 708777K or variant

Pick up a new copy of Wood (I think). They review a number of cabinet
saws.

Leon

I own the Jet JTAS 10L cabinet saw. Have had it for 3 years and am very
pleased with it. When I was shopping it was a toss up between it and the
Delta Unisaw until I was able to compare them side by side. The Jet won.

Igor

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:34:52 -0400, "William & Lisa"
wrote:

All,

Has anyone owned or used any of the following table saws. If so, I would be
interested on any feed back (the good, bad, and the ugly) you may have
regarding them. Thanks, Bill

Cabinet Saws
Grizzly G1023SL or G1023Z
General 50-260M-1
Shop Fox W1677
Jet Xacta Saw 708663PK
Hybrids
Dewalt Woodworker's table saw DW746XB or variant
Jet Supersaw 708777K or variant

I'd be happy to ... but have you done a google search yet for this
newsgroup for opinions on these? I know there are many posts on these
models, such as the Supersaw, because I used them to help me decide to
recently get the DW 746. Even just skimming the subject lines over the
past 3-4 weeks of posts here would lead you to many assessments of table
saws.
Brett A. Thomas

In article ,
"William & Lisa" writes:
All,

Has anyone owned or used any of the following table saws. If so, I would be
interested on any feed back (the good, bad, and the ugly) you may have
regarding them. Thanks, Bill

Cabinet Saws
Grizzly G1023SL or G1023Z
General 50-260M-1
Shop Fox W1677
Jet Xacta Saw 708663PK
Hybrids
Dewalt Woodworker's table saw DW746XB or variant
Jet Supersaw 708777K or variant

I have a DW746 with every possible option (except the low-profile
fence). I love it; it's solid, it has plenty of power, and sets up
easily. The fence on it is good and easy to square. My only
complaint with the whole saw is that the design of the fence can make
it difficult to make jigs that slide along the fence.

If you're at all low on space and want cabinet saw performance with
something that's still relatively easy to move around the shop, it's
not a bad way to start. Excellent beginner's saw (and that's from
Kelly Mahler, not me).

-BAT