Posted to rec.woodworking

Default rail & stile width

Any consensus / standards on rail & stile widths for cabinet doors?
Should they be the same, I've always made my rails wider than the stiles,
but now I'm rethinking that.
Fire away!
TIA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:23:28 GMT, lucky4fingers
wrote:

Any consensus / standards on rail & stile widths for cabinet doors?
Should they be the same, I've always made my rails wider than the stiles,
but now I'm rethinking that.
Fire away!
TIA

I read a piece a while ago where the guy writing said that 2" flats
(2 3/8" per rail & stile uncut) was about the correct dimension for a
balanced look. Unless your cutting curved top or bottom rails. This
is what I've been going with. An exception would be door size per
unit. A real small piece would have a narrower flat surface and an
over size panel would be wider.

Just my 2 cents. Basically, it's what looks good to you and your end
user.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

"lucky4fingers" wrote in message
84...
Any consensus / standards on rail & stile widths for cabinet doors?
Should they be the same, I've always made my rails wider than the stiles,
but now I'm rethinking that.
Fire away!
TIA

The size should be appropriate to the use. I have done 1" and 4".
But they have always been the same.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rails and stiles are usually cut 2" plus the depth of the panel groove wide.
This usually makes them either 2-1/4 or 2-3/8" wide - depending on whose
router bits you use. The reason for making them that width is that it makes
all of the calculations for door size easier - including the panel. If you
need an inset door for a 16 x 24" opening and your cutter makes a 3/8 inch
deep groove, the panel will be 16 - 4 = 12 wide by 24 - 4 = 20 long. And
all of the sticks will be cut 2-3/8" wide. For offset doors, just add twice
the offset dimension to the panel width and length.
Jim Seelye

"lucky4fingers" wrote in message
84...
Any consensus / standards on rail & stile widths for cabinet doors?
Should they be the same, I've always made my rails wider than the stiles,
but now I'm rethinking that.
Fire away!
TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"seelyjv" wrote:

Rails and stiles are usually cut 2" plus the depth of the panel groove wide.
This usually makes them either 2-1/4 or 2-3/8" wide - depending on whose
router bits you use. The reason for making them that width is that it makes
all of the calculations for door size easier

Seems like a bizarre thing to let drive a design decision. If 2" looks
right on a 12x18 door, so you really think it would look right on an
18x48" door?

Posted to rec.woodworking

lucky4fingers wrote:

Any consensus / standards on rail & stile widths for cabinet doors?
Should they be the same, I've always made my rails wider than the stiles,
but now I'm rethinking that.

Most of the examples I have seen have the same width rails and stiles,
or possibly slightly larger bottom rails.
Posted to rec.woodworking

2 1/2" stiles and rails. Just an old convention around here, but there is
no law.

"lucky4fingers" wrote in message
84...
| Any consensus / standards on rail & stile widths for cabinet doors?
| Should they be the same, I've always made my rails wider than the stiles,
| but now I'm rethinking that.
| Fire away!
| TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, as a matter of fact it does. I much prefer all of my rails and stiles
to be in the ballpark of 2" wide. I will very seldom make them much wider
and I almost never go any narrower. If the size of the door requires
something different, I will usually change the door design. The only place
that I don't make the overall width about 2" is for cathedral style doors -
and even there, I'll make the narrowest portion 2" wide.
Jim Seelye

--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked
infrequently.