Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Festool comes through for me.

One of my guys was sanding a Meganite top, getting ready for delivery
that afternoon when he called me on my cell to tell me that THE SANDER
had quit suddenly. He had already done all the basic checks to see if
he had power everywhere.
I was on a site, I had the Fein with me, so that wasn't going to do
him any good. But the top he was working on, was the final delivery of
a 'whole house' order, so it was important to me to get this resolved.
Did I tell you this was on a Friday?... but you already knew that,
right? G
I quickly return to the shop in order to finish with the Fein, then to
I quickly opened the tail of the RO 150 Festool, to see that the
spring had popped on one the brushes stopping the thing dead in its
tracks.
Friday, noon...I'm not completely dead in the water..but I decided
then and there to immediatly order a new set of brushes. I knew there
was a plastic envelope inside the Festool (Systainer) box, which I
thought would have the service department numbers etc.
And there, inside the envelope, taped neatly in a corner, a little
plastic pouch with 2 new brushes.
Got everything done on time, made it to the bank and made the bi-
weekly pay-roll.
Pretty cool, eh?

What are those brushes worth? In this case, a whole lot more than what
they normally sell them for.
Anyway, I thought I'd share something positive.

r---who gives his customers a neatly finished trivet, made from the
same material as their countertop, with Magic Sponge attached to it.
Somehow that makes the customer happier than with a $ 3000.00
countertop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 25, 1:18 pm, "Robatoy" wrote:
[...]

This still falls under the classification of a Festool gloat, so you
still suck.

r---who gives his customers a neatly finished trivet, made from the
same material as their countertop, with Magic Sponge attached to it.
Somehow that makes the customer happier than with a $ 3000.00
countertop.

Lagniappe. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lagniappe

Those little freebies are received like you are handing them gold.
Knock together _anything_ from the scraps and hand it to them and
they'll be telling their friends about it.

Bagel stores routinely give a bakers dozen - thirteen bagels. Since
it's routine, you hear people say, "Hey! You forgot my free bagel!"
though they never _thank_ the guy for the free bagel every other time
it's given.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...

What are those brushes worth? In this case, a whole lot more than what
they normally sell them for.
Anyway, I thought I'd share something positive.

r---who gives his customers a neatly finished trivet, made from the
same material as their countertop, with Magic Sponge attached to it.
Somehow that makes the customer happier than with a $ 3000.00
countertop.

Cool. I wonder if all the Festools come with that extra set of brushes.
BTY I got to do the touchy feely thing with the Domino on Friday. No
testing but I got to see a sample of the joint, pretty impressive.
Still, it's going to cost a small fortune to get one with a decent
assortment of tennons. IIRC $920+ tax. And then I was informed that a dust
collector will not be able to be keep up with the Domino. I wonder if that
is true or not. Seems a shop vacuum is the tool of choice for this
situation but again, I wonder. I know choking down the 4" hose limits its
flow but not so much if the choke is at the tool rather than away from the
tool. I still get pretty good flow at the router table, disk sander, and
spindle sander. I think I'll experiment with my PC plate jointer and see if
that holds water. The dust port is almost the same size as on the Domino.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 25, 2:42 pm, "Leon" wrote:
IIRC $920+ tax.

Also called A THOUSAND BUCKS. To paraphrase Larry The Cable Guy "I
don't care who you are, but that is a lot of money right there."...but
dammit, I know they've got a winner there. I hate those sunsabitches,
because they have my number and they keep dialing it.

And then I was informed that a dust
collector will not be able to be keep up with the Domino. I wonder if that
is true or not. Seems a shop vacuum is the tool of choice for this
situation but again, I wonder.

A good shop vac has a lot more 'pull' than a DC. Guys use the Fein
Turbos as hold-down for smaller CNC routers... a job one would never
trust to a DC. DC is for large volume, like a clean-up after a pillow-
fight. The ShopVac will lift up a bowling ball.
Even though the wattage may read the same, the ratio of current vs
voltage does not. My Fein does a fabulous job on both the Kreg jig and
the biscuit jointer..way better than the 2 HP DC. The Fein, however,
is useless on my planer. It's the fan vs airhose argument in reverse.

I know choking down the 4" hose limits its
flow but not so much if the choke is at the tool rather than away from the
tool.

The displacement of air in a Vac is far more positive than a DC.. the
DC will just cavitate and slap around air. This is going under the
assumption that we're talking a real shop-vac, not one of those 6.5
peak HP (5 amp motor, ohhh yea) from Harbour Fright.

I still get pretty good flow at the router table, disk sander, and
spindle sander. I think I'll experiment with my PC plate jointer and see if
that holds water. The dust port is almost the same size as on the Domino.

A THOUSAND BUCKS, Leon....A THOUSAND BUCKS!!!

LOL

r--- who is looking to find a 'disposable' THOUSAND BUCKS. I also
wonder who the first one is, in here, that's going to drop the g-note.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 25, 1:42 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

oups.com...

What are those brushes worth? In this case, a whole lot more than what
they normally sell them for.
Anyway, I thought I'd share something positive.

r---who gives his customers a neatly finished trivet, made from the
same material as their countertop, with Magic Sponge attached to it.
Somehow that makes the customer happier than with a $ 3000.00
countertop.

Cool. I wonder if all the Festools come with that extra set of brushes.
BTY I got to do the touchy feely thing with the Domino on Friday. No
testing but I got to see a sample of the joint, pretty impressive.
Still, it's going to cost a small fortune to get one with a decent
assortment of tennons. IIRC $920+ tax.

Yep. And shipping because no Festool tools are stock items. All are
ordered especially for that customer. To make that person feel
special. Festool doesn't want any bum with a grand of disposable
income in his pocket walking into the store and taking one of those
special green tools home without proper vetting and going through the
iniation procedure.

And then I was informed that a dust
collector will not be able to be keep up with the Domino. I wonder if that
is true or not. Seems a shop vacuum is the tool of choice for this
situation but again, I wonder.

The official Festool shop vacs work fine with the Domino. And other
Festool tools. I suspect any shop vac would work just fine. Domino
takes the official Festool hose so it would be easiest, if not
cheapest, to get a Festool hose and hook it to whatever shop vac you
choose to use. In one of the various reviews, it was stressed that
some kind of dust collection, via shop vac, is required for the Domino
to work properly. $25 Sears vac would work fine once you got the
right size hose onto it.

I know choking down the 4" hose limits its
flow but not so much if the choke is at the tool rather than away from the
tool. I still get pretty good flow at the router table, disk sander, and
spindle sander. I think I'll experiment with my PC plate jointer and see if
that holds water. The dust port is almost the same size as on the Domino.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Yep. And shipping because no Festool tools are stock items. All are
ordered especially for that customer. To make that person feel
special.

That is not correct. My dealer is a stocking dealer. He has several
sanders in stock and will have the Domino.

Actually I could have bought just about any of the equipment back in
December when he had an open house and the Festool rep brought a supply of
all the tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 25, 9:05 pm, "Leon" wrote:

Actually I could have bought just about any of the equipment back in
December when he had an open house and the Festool rep brought a supply of
all the tools.

Leon - I think Woodcraft has them on sale for $660 + $200 for bits.

Scary.

Is anyone here having joint failures or specializing in installations
that would warrant the SPECIFIC use of a Domino? For a G I would have
to join about a lumberyard's worth of lumber to make me happy.

With tools for dowels, loose dowels, full mortising machines, tenon
jigs, 4 - 5 sized of bisquits, router jigs, pocket screws, hammer and
chisels, table saw joints, specialized router table router bits for
joining, and on and on... where does this thing really fit in?

I have not doubt it is a fine tool, but wonder what group of tools it
would have to replace to fit the price tag. I watched the video on
their site, and it looks like the connectors they use are the
highlight. Small, solid, striated to hold the glue, and look like
good quality.

I had a jig plan for a small router that would cut that very same
rounded slot for loose dowels, and then there was that other set of
connectorst that looked like 4 dowels sitting next to each other that
the router would cut the slot for. It certainly wasn't as quick or
elegant as the Domino, but I never used that kind of joint except for
a few projects.

I think of how often that tool would be the only solution, or when I
would be in such a hurry that I needed the extra time, and I'm not
seeing a grand for a dedicted, one use tool. Then I saw the bits cost
$50 or so a piece! Then, no generic bisquits! OUCH!

No doubt if I was site building cabinets like we did in the old days I
would have to have one of those when I could afford it. But for field
or shop work... I dunno. What did I miss?

Has anyone seen any joint tests to back up their claims of strength?

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Has anyone seen any joint tests to back up their claims of strength?

Domino is simply "loose/floating tenon" joinery which testing has shown to
be roughly equivalent in strength to traditional M & T ... perhaps a shade
less so, but not enough to be a factor for most applications.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Leon - I think Woodcraft has them on sale for $660 + $200 for bits.

Scary.

Yeah but then you really want the one that sells for $720. That one is a
kit that addes 2 jigs for helping you cut mortises on the ends of very
narrow stock and a 2 piece jig for cutting mortises accurately spaced along
the edge of a long board or panel. The $660 model does not have those two
jig/adapters.

Is anyone here having joint failures or specializing in installations
that would warrant the SPECIFIC use of a Domino? For a G I would have
to join about a lumberyard's worth of lumber to make me happy.

That completely valid and level headed view of the usefulness of this tool
probably fits for 99 % of the wood workers. I think I may be different
though. LOL Its like buying a Mercedes of BMW when a Chevy will do
perfectly well.

With tools for dowels, loose dowels, full mortising machines, tenon
jigs, 4 - 5 sized of bisquits, router jigs, pocket screws, hammer and
chisels, table saw joints, specialized router table router bits for
joining, and on and on... where does this thing really fit in?

It probably replaces all of them except fot the dowel jigs. I know I wold
probably never use my mortiser and or plate jointer if I had a Domino. If I
knew that it would cut a mortise in a compound angled surface I think I
would take a much closer look. So far no one has been able to show me how
this would be accomplished.

I have not doubt it is a fine tool, but wonder what group of tools it
would have to replace to fit the price tag. I watched the video on
their site, and it looks like the connectors they use are the
highlight. Small, solid, striated to hold the glue, and look like
good quality.

I think if you were consider ing a "Multico" mortiser and a "Lamelo" plate
jointer that the Domino would be a very good alternative.

I had a jig plan for a small router that would cut that very same
rounded slot for loose dowels, and then there was that other set of
connectorst that looked like 4 dowels sitting next to each other that
the router would cut the slot for. It certainly wasn't as quick or
elegant as the Domino, but I never used that kind of joint except for
a few projects.

I think of how often that tool would be the only solution, or when I
would be in such a hurry that I needed the extra time, and I'm not
seeing a grand for a dedicted, one use tool. Then I saw the bits cost
$50 or so a piece! Then, no generic bisquits! OUCH!

No, the bits are not quite "that" expensive. They fall in the $27-$30 each
depending on the size. The $200 you mentioned earlier if for 4, 1 of each
sized bits, 1100 assorteded tennons and a Systainer container. The
individual sized packages of tennons are pretty reasonable IMHO.

No doubt if I was site building cabinets like we did in the old days I
would have to have one of those when I could afford it. But for field
or shop work... I dunno. What did I miss?

Have you seen one in person, touched one, felt its curves, seen the details
of all the levers and buttons? Have you picked it up, noticed how the green
and black compliment the silver trim? And don't get me started on the
carrying case. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 25, 10:05 pm, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Yep. And shipping because no Festool tools are stock items. All are
ordered especially for that customer. To make that person feel
special.

That is not correct. My dealer is a stocking dealer. He has several
sanders in stock and will have the Domino.

I'd have to see it to believe it. A Festool dealer carrying the whole
line of tools you can walk in and buy off the rack? All of them. Not
just one or two of the tools such as a sander like the Rotex or 5" or
6" ROS. Does your dealer carry all three routers in stock and on the
shelf? Rotex and 5" and 6" ROS? All 3 or 4 or 5 shop vacs? Mini,
22, 33, etc.? Both saws, 55 and 75? Both jigsaws, barrel and top
handle? All sizes of guide rails for the saws and routers? Both MFT,
880 and 1080?

Does your Festool dealer stock them like PC or Bosch or DeWalt or
Milwaukee or Makita tools?

Actually I could have bought just about any of the equipment back in
December when he had an open house and the Festool rep brought a supply of
all the tools.

Couple years ago a local big store had a grand opening and two Festool
reps were there with almost all of the tools. But it was still test
them and place an order. Not buy them and take them home right there
and then. The local store has most/many of the tools on site for
testing all the time.

The new Festool Domino Leon Woodworking 13 December 23rd 06 04:03 PM
Festool Abrasives Jay Pique Woodworking 6 March 27th 06 03:09 AM
Festool Abrasives Jay Pique Woodworking 0 March 24th 06 08:21 PM
Festool Oldun Woodworking 1 July 27th 05 02:32 PM
festool jigsaw Bob Heveri Woodworking 5 August 12th 03 09:47 AM