Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default How to Remove a Big Heavy Machine from a Basement

On 11 Mar 2007 10:19:23 -0700, "Robatoy" wrote:

On Mar 11, 3:10 am, David R Brooks wrote:

That, in reverse, happens here all the time with swimming pools. Made of
glassfibre, they come on a large truck, & are craned into a pit dug in
the backyard.

In Newfoundland, they not only deliver the pool that way, but also the
hole to put it in.

It's very common in New England, as well. I see massive, molded pools
traveling up I-91 all construction season.

Maybe this type of pool is very resistant to frost movement?
Posted to rec.woodworking

A few strong men and beer.

And a woman to direct the operation? G
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ned Simmons wrote:

I think that was a Newfie joke. Newfie jokes (and Newfies) were pretty common
when I was growing up in the Boston States.

I just got the part about the hole delivery... G
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Mar 10, 3:42 pm, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
I, like all of you, have read of a number of accounts over the years
of how some of our fellow lovers of heavy machines have moved their
prized machines into the bowels of a basement shop.

What I would like to hear are stories of how you have removed a
machine from a difficult location such as a basement.

Anyone?

In pieces. You're going to have to loosen and realign everything
once
you get the machine in its new location, anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In article ,
J. Clarke wrote:
JR North wrote:
That approach doesn't work unless you warm up the anti-gravity machine
first.
JR
Dweller in thje cellar

Stoutman wrote:
Think about how you got it down there. Then, do it in reverse.

It is important to remember that there are few woodworking machines
likely to be found in a basement shop that a Jeep in low-range 4 wheel
drive won't move.

There are few woodworking machines to be found *anywhere* that a jeep CJ-10a
won't move.

That particular model has a rated towing capacity of _40,000_ pounds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Robert Bonomi wrote:

Stoutman wrote:

Think about how you got it down there. Then, do it in reverse.

It is important to remember that there are few woodworking machines
likely to be found in a basement shop that a Jeep in low-range 4 wheel
drive won't move.

There are few woodworking machines to be found *anywhere* that a jeep CJ-10a
won't move.

That particular model has a rated towing capacity of _40,000_ pounds.

A 10,000 hp wood pulp refiner being one of them.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:04:24 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Han wrote:

But now my back isn't anymore what it was then. How do I go back in

time
to fix that?

You would be amazed what some 18 year old guys will do for am few bucks
and some good BEER.

Lew

The legal drinking age in most places in the US is 21. Be careful
about that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 14 Mar 2007 10:44:06 -0700, "Father Haskell"
wrote:

On Mar 10, 3:42 pm, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
I, like all of you, have read of a number of accounts over the years
of how some of our fellow lovers of heavy machines have moved their
prized machines into the bowels of a basement shop.

What I would like to hear are stories of how you have removed a
machine from a difficult location such as a basement.

Anyone?

In pieces. You're going to have to loosen and realign everything
once
you get the machine in its new location, anyway.

That's a good idea for most equipment, but not all stuff lends itself
to disassembly into small parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Mar 10, 3:42 pm, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
I, like all of you, have read of a number of accounts over the years
of how some of our fellow lovers of heavy machines have moved their
prized machines into the bowels of a basement shop.

What I would like to hear are stories of how you have removed a
machine from a difficult location such as a basement.

Anyone?

In pieces. You're going to have to loosen and realign everything
once
you get the machine in its new location, anyway.

That's a good idea for most equipment, but not all stuff lends itself
to disassembly into small parts.

Didn't soldiers used to mail entire jeeps back home, piece by piece?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:

wrote:
I, like all of you, have read of a number of accounts over the
years of how some of our fellow lovers of heavy machines have
moved their prized machines into the bowels of a basement shop.

What I would like to hear are stories of how you have removed a
machine from a difficult location such as a basement.

Anyone?

In pieces. You're going to have to loosen and realign everything
once
you get the machine in its new location, anyway.

That's a good idea for most equipment, but not all stuff lends itself
to disassembly into small parts.

Didn't soldiers used to mail entire jeeps back home, piece by piece?

The students at various engineering schools have been known to
disassemble the cars of various faculty members and reassemble them on
top of buildings, steeples, domes, etc. But that's cars, not machine
tools, which often have a single casting weighing as much as an entire
SUV.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Brings to mind the fellow and a neighbors' wife but we don't want to
go there...

On 17 Mar 2007 19:33:31 -0700, "Father Haskell"

Didn't soldiers used to mail entire jeeps back home, piece by piece?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:00:01 -0400, wrote:

Brings to mind the fellow and a neighbors' wife but we don't want to
go there...

If there's a story there, you can email it to me...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

--

Cool. But engines, or at least the short block still are a
considerable weight.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

The students at various engineering schools have been known to
disassemble the cars of various faculty members and reassemble them on
top of buildings, steeples, domes, etc.

Right after WWII, a small car called a Crosley was sold.

Probably weighed no more than 1,500 lbs.

(SFWIW, you could sell anything that had wheels and a running engine.
Not being able to buy a car during and right after WWII created quite
a demand.)

4-6 guys could pick it up and walk down the street with it.

The were very vulnerable at Halloween.

Quite common to find a Crosley setting sideways on someones front
porch(They had front porches back then)or with it's front bumper
resting on top of a fire plug.

Ranked right up there with tipping 50 or so out houses on 10/31 using
a pick up truck and 200 ft of 1/2" rope.

Ah yes those were the days.

Lew
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:57:45 -0500, George Max
wrote:

When we moved, I had to repeat that process, but was tempted to take a
chainsaw to it and buy a new couch. Funny how it's almost always the
couch that's the problem.

Our last house before we moved into our current one had an awful
configuration. Both the front door and the back door opened into
t-hallways and it was virtually impossible to get anything large in or
out of the house. Somehow, we managed to get the couch in but for the
life of me, I can't imagine how, I just could not get it out again
when we moved. The people we sold the house to got an extra bonus and
we got a new couch.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Brian Henderson" wrote in message
Somehow, we managed to get the couch in but for the
life of me, I can't imagine how, I just could not get it out again
when we moved. The people we sold the house to got an extra bonus and
we got a new couch.

Maybe it's just me, but every couch I've moved required unscrewing the legs
(or floor pads) from the bottom, AND taking the doors off the hinges, AND
turning the couch 90-degrees so the back was down on the floor, and the leg
sockets pointing horizontally, (and once even pulling off the jamb stops to
get the full-width opening of the door. It seems like every couch I've
owned was around 36" tall, not counting the legs, and about 42"
front-to-back. I've never had any 3-6 doors in my places.

We made good use of some moving blankets on each move, trying to keep the
backs of the couches from getting torn or dirty sliding it over the floor.
(yes, we lifted them over thresholds, steps, etc.)

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Han wrote:

But now my back isn't anymore what it was then. How do I go back in

time
to fix that?

You would be amazed what some 18 year old guys will do for am few bucks
and some good BEER.

Lew

The legal drinking age in most places in the US is 21. Be careful
about that.

There have been no noticeable changes in the laws of nature, physics, or
human behavior since I became eligible, simutaniously, for the draft,
the franchise, and 3.2% bear in Kansas in 1982. You would be amazed at
what 18 year old guys will do for some _bad_ bear. On move in day at
the girls dorms at KU, the wise fathers would pack all sorts of heavy
stuff without fear, because they would also pack a cold six of Bud.
They never had to lift a finger.

--
Dana Miller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I'll assume you meant beer. I doubt to many people would care for some bear.
The drinking age is, by federal law, 21 so giving some beer to some 18 year
olds in exchange for some help may prove expensive.

"Dana Miller" wrote in message

There have been no noticeable changes in the laws of nature, physics, or
human behavior since I became eligible, simutaniously, for the draft,
the franchise, and 3.2% bear in Kansas in 1982. You would be amazed at
what 18 year old guys will do for some _bad_ bear. On move in day at
the girls dorms at KU, the wise fathers would pack all sorts of heavy
stuff without fear, because they would also pack a cold six of Bud.
They never had to lift a finger.

--
Dana Miller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"CW" wrote in
ink.net:

The drinking age is, by federal law, 21 so giving some beer to some 18
year olds in exchange for some help may prove expensive.

"is" the drinking age, correct. However, in the past it was often 18, or
even 16.

Born 1944, Netherlands

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In article . net, "CW" wrote:
I'll assume you meant beer. I doubt to many people would care for some bear.
The drinking age is, by federal law, 21 so giving some beer to some 18 year
olds in exchange for some help may prove expensive.

You sure that's federal law? My understanding was that it's state law in all
50, under coercion from the national government (threat of loss of highway
funding, IIRC).

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Actually, you are right.
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article . net, "CW"

wrote:
I'll assume you meant beer. I doubt to many people would care for some

bear.
The drinking age is, by federal law, 21 so giving some beer to some 18

year
olds in exchange for some help may prove expensive.

You sure that's federal law? My understanding was that it's state law in

all
50, under coercion from the national government (threat of loss of highway
funding, IIRC).

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Dana Miller wrote:

wrote:

Han wrote:

But now my back isn't anymore what it was then. How do I go back
in time to fix that?

You would be amazed what some 18 year old guys will do for am few
bucks and some good BEER.

Lew

The legal drinking age in most places in the US is 21. Be careful
about that.

There have been no noticeable changes in the laws of nature, physics,
or human behavior since I became eligible, simutaniously, for the
draft, the franchise, and 3.2% bear in Kansas in 1982. You would be
amazed at what 18 year old guys will do for some _bad_ bear. On move
in day at the girls dorms at KU, the wise fathers would pack all
sorts of heavy stuff without fear, because they would also pack a
cold six of Bud. They never had to lift a finger.

The trouble is that if they let slip that you gave them beer and their
mommies go ballistic you can end up in jail these days.

The politicians have gone totally nuts on drinking under 21. Personally
I'm of the opinion that anybody who is old enough to die for his country
is old enough to drink and smoke, but the politicians don't see it that
way.