Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Speedbloc paper clamp broke (ping Leon)

Two years of very light use on this guy and one of the clamps that
hold the paper, that I have never even used, just broke, or at least
slipped out of whack. I use the PSA rolls so I don't need the clamps,
but it's sticking out at an angle and rubbing against the housing so
it's unusable atm. I didn't really notice any particular sound of
something breaking, just started to vibrate and make a lot more noise.

I can't really see inside of it too well, especially on the non-broken
side to see what it's supposed to look like in there. The exploded
view on the parts diagram on the website doesn't help a whole lot
either. It looks like I need to take the housing off to get any
access to that area? I didn't see any way of getting the bottom off
when I took off the pad via the 4 screws on the underside.

This was the best shot I could get showing the inside:

http://www.krtwood.com/speedbloc.jpg

The spring looks like it's still on the post like it's supposed to be,
so I don't understand what happened. It doesn't look like there's
supposed to be any connection at the corners.

I can see in a google search something similar happened to Leon, so
any words of wisdom before I start taking it apart?

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:43:09 -0500, Leuf
wrote:

Two years of very light use on this guy and one of the clamps that
hold the paper, that I have never even used, just broke, or at least
slipped out of whack.

Went ahead and took off the housing. Yep, it broke. The rod that
runs through the spring snapped in half. Guess they don't make em
like they used to.

Now the question is, do I take the other side off or replace the
broken rod - $1.86 plus $8 shipping. Ridiculous

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well it is unfortunate that the clamp bloke so soon. Mine lasted 12 years
before it broke.
My spring broke. You have to replace the pad assembly. If you take the
clamps off, the sander will not run properly. Why? I do no know but mine
would hardly run after taking the clamps off and it was a real PIA putting
them back on.

If your pins came loose they can be put back in place if nothing is actually
broken or worn out. The clamp pivot pins have notches near the ends that
engage with the clamp. You have to hold you mouth just right and slip the
pin back in.

"Leuf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Two years of very light use on this guy and one of the clamps that
hold the paper, that I have never even used, just broke, or at least
slipped out of whack.

Went ahead and took off the housing. Yep, it broke. The rod that
runs through the spring snapped in half. Guess they don't make em
like they used to.

Now the question is, do I take the other side off or replace the
broken rod - $1.86 plus $8 shipping. Ridiculous

-Leuf

I would buy the pin and a new pad assembly to perhaps save on the shipping.
I fortunately live in Houston and was able to go to the PC repair shop for
parts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Any way to make this a PSA or Velcro only sander, without the clamps?
I love the action, but I'd rather have the ability to flush sand on
all 4 sides, and clamping and unclamping paper is just plain
*wasteful*.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 01:28:58 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Well it is unfortunate that the clamp bloke so soon. Mine lasted 12 years
before it broke.
My spring broke. You have to replace the pad assembly. If you take the
clamps off, the sander will not run properly. Why? I do no know but mine
would hardly run after taking the clamps off and it was a real PIA putting
them back on.

I ended up putting it back together to see if I could finish up what I
was doing. It seemed to run just ducky without one clamp, I thought
it would be unbalanced and unhappy about that, but it seemed fine.

If your pins came loose they can be put back in place if nothing is actually
broken or worn out. The clamp pivot pins have notches near the ends that
engage with the clamp. You have to hold you mouth just right and slip the
pin back in.

I briefly tried to get off the one that wasn't broken, for balance,
but gave up after a couple minutes. I figured it would take less work
to reassemble it and test it than to try to get it back on (if I ever
managed to get it off) if it turned out I needed them.

I like the sander, but I tend to use it on small parts which I find
easier to hold the sander up and bring the part to it rather than try
to find some way of keeping the part on the bench. And it's a wee bit
heavy to be holding up like that, which is why it's only seen light
use.

I've actually thought about bench mounting a sheet sander for this
type of work. The tapered round housing on the speedbloc doesn't
really lend itself, else I'd probably use it for that.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9 Mar 2007 18:47:31 -0800, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

Any way to make this a PSA or Velcro only sander, without the clamps?
I love the action, but I'd rather have the ability to flush sand on
all 4 sides, and clamping and unclamping paper is just plain
*wasteful*.

The clamps don't extend past the pad so they don't get in the way.
Well, until they break anyway

-Leuf

Ping: Leon. Robatoy Woodworking 4 May 26th 06 12:26 PM
Ping Leon. stoutman Woodworking 16 March 2nd 06 05:13 AM
PING - Leon J T Woodworking 3 January 2nd 06 04:29 AM
Ping: Leon David Woodworking 1 June 23rd 05 12:35 AM
Ping Leon JGS Woodworking 3 June 21st 05 02:59 PM