Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cabinet Doors

In planning for our kitchen remodel, my wife and i have decided to
replace our kitchen cabinet doors and refinish the existing cabinetry.

Rockler's custom order doors are $$$$$$$, as are many others.

For about $500 I can outfit myself with the tools I need to complete
this job - rail/stile bits, raised panel bit, etc etc.

I'm a newbie at this sort of woodwork, but i have experience in trim
carpentry and feel confident that i can take my time and do a good job
with it.

I do have a few questions though. Go easy on me!

-I'm assuming I need some sort of mechanical fastener for the frame of
the cabinet door. What should I look at for this, or will a good glue
like Titebond or Gorilla work?

-This one really sounds lame... What thickness wood should I look at
for the frame and the panel? It seems, from my research, that 7/8 is
the most common frame thickness, but I can't figure out what thickness
panel to use.

Thanks for any help. I'd much rather do this myself (and accumulate
some new tools!) than outsource it.

Adam
Atlanta, GA