Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV RayV is offline

Default Cabinet Doors

On Mar 7, 1:06 pm, wrote:
In planning for our kitchen remodel, my wife and i have decided to
replace our kitchen cabinet doors and refinish the existing cabinetry.

Rockler's custom order doors are $$$$$$$, as are many others.

For about $500 I can outfit myself with the tools I need to complete
this job - rail/stile bits, raised panel bit, etc etc.

I'm a newbie at this sort of woodwork, but i have experience in trim
carpentry and feel confident that i can take my time and do a good job
with it.

I do have a few questions though. Go easy on me!

-I'm assuming I need some sort of mechanical fastener for the frame of
the cabinet door. What should I look at for this, or will a good glue
like Titebond or Gorilla work?

-This one really sounds lame... What thickness wood should I look at
for the frame and the panel? It seems, from my research, that 7/8 is
the most common frame thickness, but I can't figure out what thickness
panel to use.

Thanks for any help. I'd much rather do this myself (and accumulate
some new tools!) than outsource it.

Adam
Atlanta, GA

I'm a newbie as well and have made raised panel doors.

I just glued the frame together and they have held up to two toddlers
fine for 6 months.

The frame is usually 7/8 to 1 inch and the panel 3/4 but they don't
have to be. The reason for the thicker frame is so the outermost part
of the panel will be flush or co-planar with the front of the frame.
You could make both out of 3/4 and have a fine door.

I would reconsider undertaking this project. Not only do you need a
router, table, and bits in addition to tools you already have. You
also have to buy the stock thicknessed or buy a planer. You will also
need a way to join boards for the panels including planing them
straight. Finding the stock could be a problem in itslef and very
expensive. Then you have to stain & finish the doors. While
certainly doable the cost to DIY could easily be higher than having
them shipped to your door.

I bought our cabinets from Lowes and while not 'fine furniture' they
are as well made as any I have seen in a house and I could not have
bought the wood with the $5K I paid them.

Here is the website of the company that either made or shipped the
cabinets to my house.
http://www.shenandoahcabinetry.com/
A real pleasure to deal with, quickly replaced they few pieces that
were damaged in shipping and lots of trim pieces available that you
would also have to make/stain.