Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta 14" Bandsaw Dust Collection and Carter Guides

Just installed a set of Carter guides on my Delta 14" bandsaw and found
that the Delta dust-collection duct (after-market add-on, not the vacuum
cleaner hose connector) no longer fits. It looks like the bracket that
holds the duct to the table is where the interference occurs. I have an
idea of how to fix it, but was wondering if anybody else has encountered
this issue and what you did?

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Mark or Juanita,
I upgraded Bandsaw Number 1 to a dedicated resaw machine with Carter
guides. I was able to retain an older version of a dust collector duct
that slips in front of the guides and is held on by a knob through a
tthreaded hole drilled in the base. Additionally I had my welder
friend plasma cut a 4 inch hole in the lower wheel cover that I
attached an alumnum blast gate to and with both ducts in operation the
dust that "get's away" is minimal.
Somebody who markets the Carter Guides- and I beleive it to be Louis
ituurra (second plug in as amny days) warns about the incompatibility
of the guides with the Delta DC adapter. Were you forewarned at all?
Marc
On Mar 2, 10:47 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Just installed a set of Carter guides on my Delta 14" bandsaw and found
that the Delta dust-collection duct (after-market add-on, not the vacuum
cleaner hose connector) no longer fits. It looks like the bracket that
holds the duct to the table is where the interference occurs. I have an
idea of how to fix it, but was wondering if anybody else has encountered
this issue and what you did?

TIA

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------*------+

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------*------+

Posted to rec.woodworking

Big hole saw in the bottom cover with a 4 inch duct. Resaws fine with
not much dust. I read that someone else had done it. Scary part was
drilling that 4 inch hole with a hand drill. I did not want to jig
something up with the drill press. Second thought was a hand drill wil
stop a lot faster than a drill press. I posted a picture over at the
woodworking binaries group.

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 20:47:56 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Just installed a set of Carter guides on my Delta 14" bandsaw and found
that the Delta dust-collection duct (after-market add-on, not the vacuum
cleaner hose connector) no longer fits. It looks like the bracket that
holds the duct to the table is where the interference occurs. I have an
idea of how to fix it, but was wondering if anybody else has encountered
this issue and what you did?

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim Behning wrote:
Big hole saw in the bottom cover with a 4 inch duct. Resaws fine with
not much dust. I read that someone else had done it. Scary part was
drilling that 4 inch hole with a hand drill. I did not want to jig
something up with the drill press. Second thought was a hand drill wil
stop a lot faster than a drill press. I posted a picture over at the
woodworking binaries group.

Jim, can you please repost? Looks like the photo got stripped over in
a.p.b.w.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:EUgGh.4$yW.1
@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net:

Jim Behning wrote:
Big hole saw in the bottom cover with a 4 inch duct. Resaws fine with
not much dust. I read that someone else had done it. Scary part was
drilling that 4 inch hole with a hand drill. I did not want to jig
something up with the drill press. Second thought was a hand drill wil
stop a lot faster than a drill press. I posted a picture over at the
woodworking binaries group.

Jim, can you please repost? Looks like the photo got stripped over in
a.p.b.w.

Thanks!

I saw a picture, but the size was very big, and the only thing I really saw
was something of plywood that didn't seem to have a port

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

I posted again. I guess I need to let my wife set me up another page
on her domain so I can plunk links. My post looks like some other
binary posts though.

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 15:56:20 GMT, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

Jim Behning wrote:
Big hole saw in the bottom cover with a 4 inch duct. Resaws fine with
not much dust. I read that someone else had done it. Scary part was
drilling that 4 inch hole with a hand drill. I did not want to jig
something up with the drill press. Second thought was a hand drill wil
stop a lot faster than a drill press. I posted a picture over at the
woodworking binaries group.

Jim, can you please repost? Looks like the photo got stripped over in
a.p.b.w.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3 Mar 2007 03:26:56 -0800, "marc rosen" wrote:

Hello Mark or Juanita,
I upgraded Bandsaw Number 1 to a dedicated resaw machine with Carter
guides. I was able to retain an older version of a dust collector duct
that slips in front of the guides and is held on by a knob through a
tthreaded hole drilled in the base.

That's where this one goes as well

Additionally I had my welder
friend plasma cut a 4 inch hole in the lower wheel cover that I
attached an alumnum blast gate to and with both ducts in operation the
dust that "get's away" is minimal.
Somebody who markets the Carter Guides- and I beleive it to be Louis
ituurra (second plug in as amny days) warns about the incompatibility
of the guides with the Delta DC adapter. Were you forewarned at all?

Didn't see any warning regarding this. I can see some ways to make it
work such as bending the alignment bracket and cutting some metal from
around the places there is interference. Just wanted to see if others had
found a more elegant solution.

Marc
On Mar 2, 10:47 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Just installed a set of Carter guides on my Delta 14" bandsaw and found
that the Delta dust-collection duct (after-market add-on, not the vacuum
cleaner hose connector) no longer fits. It looks like the bracket that
holds the duct to the table is where the interference occurs. I have an
idea of how to fix it, but was wondering if anybody else has encountered
this issue and what you did?

TIA

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------*------+

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------*------+

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 16:36:33 GMT, Jim Behning
wrote:

I posted again. I guess I need to let my wife set me up another page
on her domain so I can plunk links. My post looks like some other
binary posts though.

I saw both posts. Some news servers strip anything over 1 meg,
regardless of whether it is in a binary group or not.

wrote:

Jim Behning wrote:
Big hole saw in the bottom cover with a 4 inch duct. Resaws fine with
not much dust. I read that someone else had done it. Scary part was
drilling that 4 inch hole with a hand drill. I did not want to jig
something up with the drill press. Second thought was a hand drill wil
stop a lot faster than a drill press. I posted a picture over at the
woodworking binaries group.

Jim, can you please repost? Looks like the photo got stripped over in
a.p.b.w.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Behning" wrote in message
I posted again. I guess I need to let my wife set me up another page
on her domain so I can plunk links. My post looks like some other
binary posts though.

I cropped and compressed the photo. Reposted and now 24.5 k instead of
1100 k.

Gary

wrote:

Jim Behning wrote:
Big hole saw in the bottom cover with a 4 inch duct. Resaws fine with
not much dust. I read that someone else had done it. Scary part was
drilling that 4 inch hole with a hand drill. I did not want to jig
something up with the drill press. Second thought was a hand drill wil
stop a lot faster than a drill press. I posted a picture over at the
woodworking binaries group.

Jim, can you please repost? Looks like the photo got stripped over in
a.p.b.w.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Mark,
I will try to take some pictures today and post them on APBW or
whatever that forum is. If this is not feasable for me, can I send
them directly to you?
You can reply to my address if you like.
Marc