DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Delta 14" Bandsaw Dust Collection and Carter Guides (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/193852-delta-14-bandsaw-dust-collection-carter-guides.html)

Mark & Juanita March 3rd 07 03:47 AM

Delta 14" Bandsaw Dust Collection and Carter Guides

Just installed a set of Carter guides on my Delta 14" bandsaw and found
that the Delta dust-collection duct (after-market add-on, not the vacuum
cleaner hose connector) no longer fits. It looks like the bracket that
holds the duct to the table is where the interference occurs. I have an
idea of how to fix it, but was wondering if anybody else has encountered
this issue and what you did?

TIA

marc rosen March 3rd 07 11:26 AM

Delta 14" Bandsaw Dust Collection and Carter Guides

Hello Mark or Juanita,
I upgraded Bandsaw Number 1 to a dedicated resaw machine with Carter
guides. I was able to retain an older version of a dust collector duct
that slips in front of the guides and is held on by a knob through a
tthreaded hole drilled in the base. Additionally I had my welder
friend plasma cut a 4 inch hole in the lower wheel cover that I
attached an alumnum blast gate to and with both ducts in operation the
dust that "get's away" is minimal.
Somebody who markets the Carter Guides- and I beleive it to be Louis
ituurra (second plug in as amny days) warns about the incompatibility
of the guides with the Delta DC adapter. Were you forewarned at all?
Marc

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------*------+

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------*------+

Jim Behning March 3rd 07 02:41 PM

Delta 14" Bandsaw Dust Collection and Carter Guides

Big hole saw in the bottom cover with a 4 inch duct. Resaws fine with
not much dust. I read that someone else had done it. Scary part was
drilling that 4 inch hole with a hand drill. I did not want to jig
something up with the drill press. Second thought was a hand drill wil
stop a lot faster than a drill press. I posted a picture over at the
woodworking binaries group.

Unquestionably Confused March 3rd 07 03:56 PM

Jim Behning wrote:
Big hole saw in the bottom cover with a 4 inch duct. Resaws fine with
not much dust. I read that someone else had done it. Scary part was
drilling that 4 inch hole with a hand drill. I did not want to jig
something up with the drill press. Second thought was a hand drill wil
stop a lot faster than a drill press. I posted a picture over at the
woodworking binaries group.

Jim, can you please repost? Looks like the photo got stripped over in
a.p.b.w.

Thanks!

Han March 3rd 07 04:06 PM

Delta 14" Bandsaw Dust Collection and Carter Guides

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:EUgGh.4$yW.1
@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net:

Jim Behning wrote:
Big hole saw in the bottom cover with a 4 inch duct. Resaws fine with
not much dust. I read that someone else had done it. Scary part was
drilling that 4 inch hole with a hand drill. I did not want to jig
something up with the drill press. Second thought was a hand drill wil
stop a lot faster than a drill press. I posted a picture over at the
woodworking binaries group.

Jim, can you please repost? Looks like the photo got stripped over in
a.p.b.w.

Thanks!

I saw a picture, but the size was very big, and the only thing I really saw
was something of plywood that didn't seem to have a port

--
Best regards
Han

Jim Behning March 3rd 07 04:36 PM

Delta 14" Bandsaw Dust Collection and Carter Guides

I posted again. I guess I need to let my wife set me up another page
on her domain so I can plunk links. My post looks like some other
binary posts though.

Mark & Juanita March 3rd 07 04:57 PM

On 3 Mar 2007 03:26:56 -0800, "marc rosen" wrote:

Hello Mark or Juanita,
I upgraded Bandsaw Number 1 to a dedicated resaw machine with Carter
guides. I was able to retain an older version of a dust collector duct
that slips in front of the guides and is held on by a knob through a
tthreaded hole drilled in the base.

That's where this one goes as well

Additionally I had my welder
friend plasma cut a 4 inch hole in the lower wheel cover that I
attached an alumnum blast gate to and with both ducts in operation the
dust that "get's away" is minimal.
Somebody who markets the Carter Guides- and I beleive it to be Louis
ituurra (second plug in as amny days) warns about the incompatibility
of the guides with the Delta DC adapter. Were you forewarned at all?

Didn't see any warning regarding this. I can see some ways to make it
work such as bending the alignment bracket and cutting some metal from
around the places there is interference. Just wanted to see if others had
found a more elegant solution.

Mark & Juanita March 3rd 07 04:58 PM

Delta 14" Bandsaw Dust Collection and Carter Guides

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 16:36:33 GMT, Jim Behning
wrote:

I posted again. I guess I need to let my wife set me up another page
on her domain so I can plunk links. My post looks like some other
binary posts though.

I saw both posts. Some news servers strip anything over 1 meg,
regardless of whether it is in a binary group or not.

GeeDubb March 3rd 07 05:28 PM

"Jim Behning" wrote in message
I posted again. I guess I need to let my wife set me up another page
on her domain so I can plunk links. My post looks like some other
binary posts though.

I cropped and compressed the photo. Reposted and now 24.5 k instead of
1100 k.

Gary

marc rosen March 3rd 07 08:25 PM

Delta 14" Bandsaw Dust Collection and Carter Guides

Hey Mark,
I will try to take some pictures today and post them on APBW or
whatever that forum is. If this is not feasable for me, can I send
them directly to you?
You can reply to my address if you like.
Marc