Posted to rec.woodworking
news.east.cox.net

Default Delta 14" Band Saw - Poor Dust Collection

Hi,

Is there anything that's needed to improve the dust collection on the Delta
14" Bandsaw (28-206)? I noticed that there is a 1/2" gap between the bottom
swing-away door and the frame casting. I have been told that for effective
dust collection, the unit needs to be sealed, in as much as possible, while
still allowing for a proper intake volume. If that's true, I can see that
at far as my Delta is concerned, the dust collection may be ineffective and
is, in fact, seems poor. I am currently using a Portable Jet 1 HP DC unit
with a short hose.

It collects about 1/2 of the dust the bandsaw produces - and that is from
ripping a 3/4 piece of plywood. I'd hate to see what happens on a resaw.

I have thought about using some form of weather stripping to seal the lower
door, but I figured it may be better to ask the group first.

Thanks in advance.

SBL

Posted to rec.woodworking
leonard

even the delta aftermarket front collector sucks!! the best I have seen is a
home made one that's a round hole cut in the lower door with a fitting(PVC)
that connects to the dust collector.

len

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"leonard" wrote in message
even the delta aftermarket front collector sucks!! the best I have seen is
a home made one that's a round hole cut in the lower door with a
fitting(PVC) that connects to the dust collector.

Try some 1 1/4 PVC with a slit in the end for the blade to run through,
clamped under the table so that it pulls the sawdust from the area
immediately below the thrust bearing. Keeps a lot of the stuff from running
down to the bottom.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:26:51 -0500, "news.east.cox.net"
wrote:

I have the 14" Ridgid, which is pretty much the same saw...
I took out the "under the blade" port.. it held the damn lower door open 1/4"!

I drilled a 4" hole in the bottom of the lower door and put a DC port on it..
I honestly don't know how well it would work WITHH the DC on it, I've been lazy
and used the shop vac with a 2 1/2" drop down.. not good, but MUCH better than
the little port it came with...

Note: the door is NOT cheap sheet metal, bring the big boys toys.. *g*

[...]

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
tdup2

Cut a 4" hole in the lower door and add a 4" toilet flange. Your dust
collector hose will hook to that easily. Collects most of the dust.

Tim

"news.east.cox.net" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom H

I solved a similar problem on my Jet 14" BS.
All it takes is a couple of PVC attachments.
I've posted pictures on ABPW.

1. large pipe is connected to a dust collector.

2. Top of wheel is a piece of PVC pipe, cut in half (long ways) with both
ends capped. This focuses the dust to the large pipe.

3. Bottom of wheel is a piece of PVC pipe, heated and pushed into saw
opening. After it cooled I removed it and cut an opening to collect the
dust.

I us a head gun and large coffee can to heat up the PVC to soften it enough
to reshape it.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:26:07 GMT, "Tom H" wrote:

I us a head gun and large coffee can to heat up the PVC to soften it enough
to reshape it.

I'm gonna guess that you meant "heat" gun and not touch that line, Tom... *g*
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
news.east.cox.net

Thanks for responding.

This particular unit is "supposed" to have a built in collection outlet, but
it seems insufficient. I believe that the issue is the fact that there is a
loss of vacume because of the gap that exists between the door and the frame
casing. I calculate a total of 9" square of area around the door for the
free flow of air. That seems like it would seriously degrade the peformance
of the dust collection.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 21:26:16 -0500, "news.east.cox.net"
wrote:

[...]

I have the same saw, but I don't have any dust collection yet. On my
saw the fit of the bottom door to the casting is actually pretty good,
maybe an 1/8th at most. I'm not sure how you could have such a big
gap and get it to close. I put up a picture of what it looks like
he

http://www.krtwood.com/bs2.jpg

It's fairly evident in my case without any dust collection most of the
sawdust is already outside the saw before getting down to the DC
hookup. There's hardly any dust building up inside the wheel covers.
There's that plastic flap that's supposed to block most of the space,
but there's all kinds of open space under the table. I think you are
much better off getting your own connection higher up and closer to
the blade, and at an angle so you aren't trying to pull it 90 degrees
from where it was travelling.

On my old ryobi they had the port at the back of the bottom wheel.
They also had sort of vanes inside the port, I'm not exactly sure what
that accomplishes, but again without anything hooked up to it most of
the dust came out the port on its own.

http://www.krtwood.com/bs1.jpg

So if it were me I would first try to get as much as possible below
the table and then get the rest from the back of the lower wheel. The
stock port is just in a lousy location, but it's not going to cost you
much to try to weatherstrip the door to see if that works well enough
for you.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve knight

I put a hole in the door for a 4" hose. but reall I thionk the best
place to catch the dust is right under the table.
my new shopfox has a good 4" connection right befroe the bottom wheel
but it also has two flat pcies of metal that cover up the openeng
around the blade. I think it would be better to not have them so the
dust was not blocked at all if it all did not follow the blade down.