Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best WoodDorking Music

I'm in design phase now for a pretty much classical piece on the order
of a Townsend double chest.

As I'm sketching and scratching it is a great help to me to have Bach
the elder playing the Concerto #3 in G major: allegro in the
background.

It is exactly the right piece of music for this exercise and I am
playing it on a loop.

Most tunes would get boring used in this way - but not this piece by
brother Bach.

I wonder how many other guys put music to the task like this.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"tom watson" wrote in message
I'm in design phase now for a pretty much classical piece on the order
of a Townsend double chest.

As I'm sketching and scratching it is a great help to me to have Bach
the elder playing the Concerto #3 in G major: allegro in the
background.

It is exactly the right piece of music for this exercise and I am
playing it on a loop.

Most tunes would get boring used in this way - but not this piece by
brother Bach.

I wonder how many other guys put music to the task like this.

Beethoven's Eroica!!!

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

While we have different tastes, I do have a few CD's that do the same thing
for me. I am designing a corner cabinet/curio/jewelry box/tackle box/tool
chest/car wash for the b&c that she saw at the antique store. (If she
changes one more thing it wouldn't be as painful to part with the $800 they
wanted) I find that a little Pantera gets me going in the right direction
and I can concentrate on measurements, design, and appeal.

Allen
"tom watson" wrote in message
I'm in design phase now for a pretty much classical piece on the order
of a Townsend double chest.

As I'm sketching and scratching it is a great help to me to have Bach
the elder playing the Concerto #3 in G major: allegro in the
background.

It is exactly the right piece of music for this exercise and I am
playing it on a loop.

Most tunes would get boring used in this way - but not this piece by
brother Bach.

I wonder how many other guys put music to the task like this.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 1, 7:56 pm, tom watson wrote:
I'm in design phase now for a pretty much classical piece on the order
of a Townsend double chest.

As I'm sketching and scratching it is a great help to me to have Bach
the elder playing the Concerto #3 in G major: allegro in the
background.

snip
I wonder how many other guys put music to the task like this.

The most fun you can have is playing 'Woolly Bully' by Sam the Sham
and the Pharoahs at 110 dB while using your framing nailer. Neighbors
be damned...

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

What with first 2 weeks of -20 then 20" snow now ice storm and more snow
only music that is tolerated now is Jimmy Buffet.
"tom watson" wrote in message
I'm in design phase now for a pretty much classical piece on the order
of a Townsend double chest.

As I'm sketching and scratching it is a great help to me to have Bach
the elder playing the Concerto #3 in G major: allegro in the
background.

It is exactly the right piece of music for this exercise and I am
playing it on a loop.

Most tunes would get boring used in this way - but not this piece by
brother Bach.

I wonder how many other guys put music to the task like this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Doors

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom watson wrote:

It is exactly the right piece of music for this exercise and I am
playing it on a loop.

I've got some nice, 90 minute long Techno mixes for such occasions, or
XM's "The System". G

My wife and I subscribe to the local symphony. While I love going, the
subscription is my idea, I can't get into classical in the shop. Maybe
that'll change someday...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom watson" wrote in message

I wonder how many other guys put music to the task like this.

Lately, and once again for the millionth time .... Fleetwood Mac.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:
"tom watson" wrote in message
I'm in design phase now for a pretty much classical piece on the order
of a Townsend double chest.

As I'm sketching and scratching it is a great help to me to have Bach
the elder playing the Concerto #3 in G major: allegro in the
background.

It is exactly the right piece of music for this exercise and I am
playing it on a loop.

Most tunes would get boring used in this way - but not this piece by
brother Bach.

I wonder how many other guys put music to the task like this.

Beethoven's Eroica!!!

Max

Bluegrass instrumentals.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Show me a good loser and I'll show you
a loser.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The band TOOL.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"tom watson" wrote in message

I wonder how many other guys put music to the task like this.

Lately, and once again for the millionth time .... Fleetwood Mac.

Or *anything* by Joe Walsh...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 8:56 pm, tom watson wrote:
I'm in design phase now for a pretty much classical piece on the order
of a Townsend double chest.

As I'm sketching and scratching it is a great help to me to have Bach
the elder playing the Concerto #3 in G major: allegro in the
background.

It is exactly the right piece of music for this exercise and I am
playing it on a loop.

Most tunes would get boring used in this way - but not this piece by
brother Bach.

I wonder how many other guys put music to the task like this.

When working on a Townsend double chest, it is mandatory to listen to
The Who.

Okay, that was bad....

I listen to everything. I live by Glen Miller's credo: "If it sounds
good, it probably is."
But I do notice a difference in selection when I'm drawing vs
dimensioning boards on the planer. Grieg, Paganinni, Mozart, nothing
like a good fix of baroque to stimulate the creative juices.
But, in the shop, XM 40 (Deep Tracks) is almost always on. They play
the most eclectic old rock: Joe Walsh, Kinks, Who, Zep, Buffalo
Springfield, Neil, 10cc (10cc RULES!!) a lot of 'singable' stuff....

But.. I'll give BARRY's XM 80 a try today... I'll get back to you on
that...*G*

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2 Mar 2007 05:59:38 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

On Mar 1, 8:56 pm, tom watson wrote:
I'm in design phase now for a pretty much classical piece on the order
of a Townsend double chest.

Most tunes would get boring used in this way - but not this piece by
brother Bach.

I wonder how many other guys put music to the task like this.

When working on a Townsend double chest, it is mandatory to listen to
The Who.

Quadrophenia?

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 8:56 pm, tom watson wrote:
I'm in design phase now for a pretty much classical piece on the order
of a Townsend double chest.

As I'm sketching and scratching it is a great help to me to have Bach
the elder playing the Concerto #3 in G major: allegro in the
background.

It is exactly the right piece of music for this exercise and I am
playing it on a loop.

Most tunes would get boring used in this way - but not this piece by
brother Bach.

I wonder how many other guys put music to the task like this.

Tom,
I also enjoy classical music in the shop. I'm not sure a lengthy list
is in order here but I find Mozart's concertos for clarinet, oboe and
bassoon very satisfying. By the way, the clarinet concerto was used
in the film " Out of Africa". They allow repetition without getting
stale.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

Right here, right now... on XM 40...

wait for it
..
..
..
..
Eric Clapton--- Crosscut Saw... how's that for a dorking tune, eh?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

Or *anything* by Joe Walsh...

SOLO!! No Eagles need join in! G

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

But.. I'll give BARRY's XM 80 a try today... I'll get back to you on
that...*G*

As a life-long music fanatic, I find trance to completely draw me into a
focus when I'm in the right mood. Other times, it totally destroys my
concentration.

DO NOT listen to XM 80 while driving on wide open roads! DAMHIKT. G

After thinking about why I don't like classical in the shop, I realized
that I don't passively listen to it. Listening to classical music
becomes a activity in itself, I can actually get tired doing it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

DO NOT listen to XM 80 while driving on wide open roads! DAMHIKT. G

Correction, XM 82, The System.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I listen to everything. I live by Glen Miller's credo: "If it sounds
good, it probably is."

I only listen to Glen Miller when I'm In The Mood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 12:39 pm, Just Wondering wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

I listen to everything. I live by Glen Miller's credo: "If it sounds
good, it probably is."

I only listen to Glen Miller when I'm In The Mood.

After a line like that you best be taking The A Train, buddy....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 10:26 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

But.. I'll give BARRY's XM 80 a try today... I'll get back to you on
that...*G*

Indeed, correction XM 82

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 10:26 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

But.. I'll give BARRY's XM 80 a try today... I'll get back to you on
that...*G*

Indeed, correction XM 82

101 The Joint is kinda cool sometimes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 9:07 pm, "Max" it
wrote:
Beethoven's Eroica!!!

I learned to appreciate that one when I was in college and it is still
my favorite.

I usually have NPR on in the shop. I do until Sunday afternoon, that
is, when all the local station has on is jazz. I don't appreciate
jazz. I think, "Keep playing man. You'll find the melody in there
somewhere."

Dick "tin ear" Durbin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Lee" wrote in message
t...
What with first 2 weeks of -20 then 20" snow now ice storm and more snow
only music that is tolerated now is Jimmy Buffet.
"

And I'll bet the Buffet being played is "Boat Drinks"

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..
Talk radio.

That's a good way to get mad, lose focus, blow a cut and get even madder.

ymmv, fwiw, my$1/50, etc.....

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Olebiker" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 1, 9:07 pm, "Max" it
wrote:
Beethoven's Eroica!!!

I learned to appreciate that one when I was in college and it is still
my favorite.

I usually have NPR on in the shop. I do until Sunday afternoon, that
is, when all the local station has on is jazz. I don't appreciate
jazz. I think, "Keep playing man. You'll find the melody in there
somewhere."

Dick "tin ear" Durbin

Aw.... try the CD, "Take Five"...Brubeck. Have you heard any Jazz by Four
Play? Try them out at Amazon or cduniverse.com. Or maybe
barnesandnoble.com.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 1:50 pm, "Max" it
wrote:

Aw.... try the CD, "Take Five"...Brubeck. Have you heard any Jazz by Four
Play? Try them out at Amazon or cduniverse.com. Or maybe
barnesandnoble.com.

It's interesting that you mention "Take Five." I was thinking about
how much I love it, but the difference is that it is not an
improvisational piece. There's a very appealing melody going.

I'm not familiar with Four Play. I'll check them out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 1:56?am, tom watson wrote:
I'm in design phase now for a pretty much classical piece on the order
of a Townsend double chest.

As I'm sketching and scratching it is a great help to me to have Bach
the elder playing the Concerto #3 in G major: allegro in the
background.

You have a recording of Bach playing his own concerto? Wow!
Recording technology must be a lot older than anyone ever thought.

When I'm in the mood I have several CDs I've burned with compilations
of 50s & 60s R&R. (Starting in 1956 and nothing older than 1968.)
Sanding in time to "Summertime Blues" or "Devil With The Blue Dress
On" gives me a better surface.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

If things are dragging try "Firebird" (Strvinsky). If you want to
slow things down try Albioni's "Adagio" or Pachebel's "Canon" and if
you want real inspiration try most anything by Bach. Also,
traditional Bluegrass works for cleaning the shop or hand sanding. For
me, anyway.

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Joe Bleau" wrote
If things are dragging try "Firebird" (Strvinsky

Joe

Flight of the Valkyries (Wagner)
Flight of the Bumblebees (Rimsky-Korsakov)
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (Iron Butterfly)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in news:smWFh.775$8i6.118
@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

Talk radio.

OH, NO! Why?

All that does is distract and annoy me. Rather like reading the topics
Doug's filters used to clear out of the rec, before I had to reload the
system after a hard disk crash.

I'd rather listen to Utah Phillips.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:
"Olebiker" wrote in message
ps.com...

On Mar 1, 9:07 pm, "Max" it
wrote:

Beethoven's Eroica!!!

I learned to appreciate that one when I was in college and it is still
my favorite.

I usually have NPR on in the shop. I do until Sunday afternoon, that
is, when all the local station has on is jazz. I don't appreciate
jazz. I think, "Keep playing man. You'll find the melody in there
somewhere."

Dick "tin ear" Durbin

Aw.... try the CD, "Take Five"...Brubeck. Have you heard any Jazz by Four
Play? Try them out at Amazon or cduniverse.com. Or maybe
barnesandnoble.com.

Max

Try "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis and crew. And take a look at the
crew: Paul Chambers, James Cobb, Coltrane, Bill Evans, Wynton Kelly. It
doesn't get better. The Brubeck album runs a very close second.
sigh,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

tom watson wrote:

I'm in design phase now for a pretty much classical piece on the order
of a Townsend double chest.

As I'm sketching and scratching it is a great help to me to have Bach
the elder playing the Concerto #3 in G major: allegro in the
background.

It is exactly the right piece of music for this exercise and I am
playing it on a loop.

Most tunes would get boring used in this way - but not this piece by
brother Bach.

I wonder how many other guys put music to the task like this.

I like the music of the New College Choir, Oxford. I've been trying to
preach about choral stuff for a long time (having spent some time doing
it). Give a listen to composer Dmitri Bortnyanski (sp?) and to a lot of
stuff by Chanticleer (men's group). Just great.
mahalo,
jo4hn

p.s. In my last ad for "Kind of Blue", I left out Cannonball Adderly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

My wife and I subscribe to the local symphony. While I love going, the
subscription is my idea, I can't get into classical in the shop. Maybe
that'll change someday...

Da Missus and I just went to our second symphony recital in a month.
Looks like it will be a semi-regular for us. BTW, in a battle of the
bands bg the Great Lakes Symphony Orchestra would beat the Dearborn
Symphony Orchestra hands down. ;-)

Probably share a lot of members, but the final sound was better, more
'finished'.

Bill -- draws the line at rap but will listen to almost anything else.

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000721-0, 03/02/2007
Tested on: 3/2/2007 11:57:18 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:

I like the music of the New College Choir, Oxford. I've been trying to
preach about choral stuff for a long time (having spent some time doing
it). Give a listen to composer Dmitri Bortnyanski (sp?) and to a lot of
stuff by Chanticleer (men's group). Just great.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Look up "The Anonymous Four" ... amazing female voices, a' capella.

Bill

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000721-0, 03/02/2007
Tested on: 3/3/2007 12:01:41 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 10:56 pm, jo4hn wrote:

I like the music of the New College Choir, Oxford.

[snip]

Perhaps in a similar vein, I was exposed one April morning to The
King's College Choir practicing. The windows of the chapel at
Cambridge University were open and the voices floated across the lawn
on that unusually warm morning.
It was as eery as it was fantastic. I was spell-bound.