Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Depot Update

I know this NG has flogged this topic before but here's a little HD
update. Todays Wall Street Journal has a (section D) front page
article, describing some of their shortcomings and what they plan to
do to improve.

They are blaming their departed CEO, Nardelli. Success has a hundred
fathers, failure is an orphan.

I believe it will take a great deal of resolve and effort to alter
their past mistakes. The analogy is trying to turn the loaded super
tanker. There's a great deal of inertia. They sell $90 billion of
merchandise per year and are the second largest retailer after
WalMart.

Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GROVER" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know this NG has flogged this topic before but here's a little HD
update. Todays Wall Street Journal has a (section D) front page
article, describing some of their shortcomings and what they plan to
do to improve.

They are blaming their departed CEO, Nardelli. Success has a hundred
fathers, failure is an orphan.

I believe it will take a great deal of resolve and effort to alter
their past mistakes. The analogy is trying to turn the loaded super
tanker. There's a great deal of inertia. They sell $90 billion of
merchandise per year and are the second largest retailer after
WalMart.

Joe G

http://tinyurl.com/35ruep

2:08 p.m. February 20, 2007

ATLANTA - As The Home Depot Inc. reported a 28 percent drop in
fourth-quarter profit on Tuesday, its chief executive told analysts
something they've heard befo The company plans to focus more on its
retail stores and improve customer service.
But this time, new CEO Frank Blake was mum on how he planned to achieve
those goals, and the company did not provide guidance for 2007. Blake said
he was withholding answers to those questions until Home Depot's investor
conference next week. (more)

And the Magic 8-Ball he just bought on eBay arrives. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GROVER" wrote:
I know this NG has flogged this topic before but here's a little HD
update. Todays Wall Street Journal has a (section D) front page
article, describing some of their shortcomings and what they plan to
do to improve.

They are blaming their departed CEO, Nardelli. Success has a hundred
fathers, failure is an orphan.

snip

Guess Welch knew something when he didn't pick Nardelli to follow him.

As we once said of Nardelli's type, "His idea of long term planning is
What's for lunch", which is typical for his style of slash and burn
management.

He left a big pile of crap for someone to climb in order to regain
customer loyality.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 00:01:54 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

"GROVER" wrote:
I know this NG has flogged this topic before but here's a little HD
update. Todays Wall Street Journal has a (section D) front page
article, describing some of their shortcomings and what they plan to
do to improve.

They are blaming their departed CEO, Nardelli. Success has a hundred
fathers, failure is an orphan.

snip

Guess Welch knew something when he didn't pick Nardelli to follow him.

As we once said of Nardelli's type, "His idea of long term planning is
What's for lunch", which is typical for his style of slash and burn
management.

He left a big pile of crap for someone to climb in order to regain
customer loyality.

Not only did he screw up the reputation with customers, he did a lousy
job on investor relations as well. Their stock hasn't moved (except
downward in over 5 years). ... and for this he was supposed to get a
golden parachute?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 20, 6:01 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Guess Welch knew something when he didn't pick Nardelli to follow him.

As we once said of Nardelli's type, "His idea of long term planning is
What's for lunch", which is typical for his style of slash and burn
management.

He left a big pile of crap for someone to climb in order to regain
customer loyality.

Lew

Spot on, Lew. I couldn't agree more and don't know how it could have
been said better.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Guess Welch knew something when he didn't pick Nardelli to follow him.

Welch was no better.

Have you noticed his track record after he did not have the corporate
curtain to hide behind?

TMT

"GROVER" wrote:

I know this NG has flogged this topic before but here's a little HD
update. Todays Wall Street Journal has a (section D) front page
article, describing some of their shortcomings and what they plan to
do to improve.

They are blaming their departed CEO, Nardelli. Success has a hundred
fathers, failure is an orphan.

snip

Guess Welch knew something when he didn't pick Nardelli to follow him.

As we once said of Nardelli's type, "His idea of long term planning is
What's for lunch", which is typical for his style of slash and burn
management.

He left a big pile of crap for someone to climb in order to regain
customer loyality.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GROVER" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know this NG has flogged this topic before but here's a little HD
update. Todays Wall Street Journal has a (section D) front page
article, describing some of their shortcomings and what they plan to
do to improve.

They are blaming their departed CEO, Nardelli. Success has a hundred
fathers, failure is an orphan.

I believe it will take a great deal of resolve and effort to alter
their past mistakes. The analogy is trying to turn the loaded super
tanker. There's a great deal of inertia. They sell $90 billion of
merchandise per year and are the second largest retailer after
WalMart.

Joe G

I would have never guessed they are that large. Both the local Lowes and HD
pale in comparison to Menards when it comes to traffic. Lowes and HD may
have 1 or 2 people manning the checkouts any time I have been there. Menards
all the check out stations are manned, with people standing in line!
I usually shop Lowes and HD or a local yard, just because there is less
people to fight with.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg O" wrote in
:

"GROVER" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

IIRC Menards is not nation wide as compared to the other two.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cothian wrote:

"Greg O" wrote in
:

"GROVER" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've certainly never heard of Menards before. I live in the
Cincinnati area.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Quite true. None around here (Seattle).

"Cothian" wrote in message

IIRC Menards is not nation wide as compared to the other two.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GROVER" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know this NG has flogged this topic before but here's a little HD
update. Todays Wall Street Journal has a (section D) front page
article, describing some of their shortcomings and what they plan to
do to improve.

They are blaming their departed CEO, Nardelli. Success has a hundred
fathers, failure is an orphan.

I believe it will take a great deal of resolve and effort to alter
their past mistakes. The analogy is trying to turn the loaded super
tanker. There's a great deal of inertia. They sell $90 billion of
merchandise per year and are the second largest retailer after
WalMart.

Joe G

They can start improvements with giving a 10% discount to those that use the
self serve check outs. If I am paying full price I want to be waited on by
a person.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I agree completely. They are, in effect, giving you the opportunity to do
their job for them, with no incentive.

"Leon" wrote in message

They can start improvements with giving a 10% discount to those that use

the
self serve check outs. If I am paying full price I want to be waited on

by
a person.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 01:56:03 GMT, "CW" wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
.. .

They can start improvements with giving a 10% discount to those that use

the
self serve check outs. If I am paying full price I want to be waited on

by
a person.

I agree completely. They are, in effect, giving you the opportunity to do
their job for them, with no incentive.

Well there is the incentive that you can often get out faster (if you are
buying the right i.e. well-marked merchandise). Not having to deal with
the body-pierced teenage goth moving at the speed of molasses who can't
find the right barcode on the merchandise of the customer in front of you
is a pretty big incentive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Well there is the incentive that you can often get out faster (if you are
buying the right i.e. well-marked merchandise). Not having to deal with
the body-pierced teenage goth moving at the speed of molasses who can't
find the right barcode on the merchandise of the customer in front of you
is a pretty big incentive.

May be true in some cases, but keep an eye on the DIY registers. Too often
they have people with no clue and it takes them four times the time a
regular cashier will check out a customer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
news

Well there is the incentive that you can often get out faster (if you are
buying the right i.e. well-marked merchandise). Not having to deal with
the body-pierced teenage goth moving at the speed of molasses who can't
find the right barcode on the merchandise of the customer in front of you
is a pretty big incentive.

Wrong, ;~) That body-pierced teenage goth moving at the speed of molasses
who can't find the right barcode on the merchandise was promoted to head
cashier over the self serve isles. He is your "go to" guy when you buy a
washer, or a bolt, or anything not packaged.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:35:44 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

They can start improvements with giving a 10% discount to those that use the
self serve check outs. If I am paying full price I want to be waited on by
a person.

But then how would they pay the guy who's job it is to stand behind
the self serve checkouts not doing anything?

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

They can start improvements with giving a 10% discount to those that use the
self serve check outs. If I am paying full price I want to be waited on by
a person.

But then how would they pay the guy who's job it is to stand behind
the self serve checkouts not doing anything?

Actually he is doing something. He's pressing the button that clears
the "please place item in the checkout area" message every time
somebody checks something too light to register on the scale that they
use to determine that something has been placed in the checkout area.

Lowes on the other hand just lets the customer clear that message.

home depot SeaKan Home Repair 19 August 5th 06 03:23 PM
FREE Home Depot Home Improvement How-To-Guide [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 2nd 06 11:06 PM
Home repair yes, home security light, not bright-update Spike Home Repair 1 December 20th 05 12:26 PM
home depot SeaKan Home Repair 123 December 18th 05 05:05 PM
Home Depot at home services, any good reports? [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 20th 05 07:27 PM