Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Totally Guy Songs (warning-these lyrics may be offensive to women-but maybe not)

"'Cause I got Magnetic Mary
Ridin' on the dashboard of my car
....."

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:15:16 -0600, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:
Speaking of the CMT, one of my favorites was that brought to us by the
Pink and Pleasant Plastic Jesus Company of Del Rio Texas...

"I don't care if it rains or freezes
'slong's I got my plastic Jesus
Glued to the dashboard of my car
Doin' 90 I'm not wary..."

Posted to rec.woodworking

I submit

Lemon Tree (I prefer the Belafonte rendition)

and double down on

Long Black Veil - Dave Matthews

On 15 Feb 2007 18:45:10 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

On Feb 15, 8:07 pm, Tom Watson wrote:
It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot.

Now I'd like to look at the other side.

very strong list, brother Watson. Thou doth omitteth the following:

I'm Your Man- Leonard Cohen.
Closing Time- Leonard Cohen
Paradise- John Prine
Long Black Veil - Dave Matthews Band
Shattered- Rolling Stones
Human Cannon Ball- Butthole Surfers
What A Wonderful World - Ramones
Boston (The whole frickin' album)- Boston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Baby Take Off Your Dress - Joe Cocker
(Can't listen to that song without visualizing Kim Basinger
stripping to it in 9 1/2 Weeks)

Eileen - Keith Richards - recorded post humously (?)
(He's been dead for year right? )

Holy Mother - Erci Clapton
(there's a riff on this one that screams/pleads from the
depths of hell)

The Extremist - Joe Satriani

The Stars Spangle Banner - Hendrix
(patriotism and glory as seen by the guy being shot at and
bombed, surrounded by the dead and dying)

Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
(Knoffler can do kick as rock riffs or heart tuggers that'll
bring tears to your eyes)

Lay Lady Lay - Dylan - when he was actually singing

Just about anything by ZZ Tops (they do minor variations
of the same song - over and over and over again - and it
still kicks ass)

Blood on The Saddle - Tex Ritter

A Cripple on His Deathbead - Skip Spence - OAR album
he did EVERYTHING on it - played all the instruments,
wrote and sang the songs and recorded it all himself
trying to get out of a contract with Warner. The
"business" fried him - but once in a while, with a mike
in front of him and a guitar in his hand he'd come
back from where ever he normally was. If you were
lucky enough to be there it was something you remember
for a LONG time.

Anything by Les Paul - what a freakin' genious in so many
areas. Every electric guitar player should bow their heads
at the mention of his name. The Moody Blues should
send him a check every month - forever.

Time - The Chambers Brothers (plus a red haired irish
drummer)

Poncho and Lefty
Always on My Mind - Willy Nelson

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:10:24 -0800, charlieb
wrote:

Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
(Knoffler can do kick as rock riffs or heart tuggers that'll
bring tears to your eyes)

I have a _fantastic_ live version of that in my iPod.

If I play it in the shop I've been known to stop working to shed a
tear...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Schmall wrote:

| Morris, what's DeSoto Solar? Seriously.

It's the name of a business that manufactures and sells really good
passive solar air heating panels. Photos at the link in my sig.

"DeSoto Solar" is the DBA used because the shop (wannabe factory) is
located in DeSoto, Iowa and because "Morris Dovey" probably wouldn't
be much help to people looking for a product source.

As schedule and resources permit, I involve myself with related side
projects from time to time and you can see a bit of one (and a hint of
another) of the more interesting at
www.iedu.com/DeSoto/StirlingProject.html

I try not to be too serious and not for too long at a stretch - it
tends to make me cranky and impatient.

Seriously.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Totally Guy Songs?

Marty Robbins - pretty much every gunfighter ballad
Johnny Cash - Folsum Prison Blues
Waylon Jennings - Good Old Boys (theme song from The Dukes of Hazard)
Kenny Rogers - The Coward of the County
Jerry Reed - When You're Hot, You're Hot
Credence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising
Dave Dudley - Six Days On The Road
Michael Martin Murphy - Cowboy Logic
Hank Snow - I'm Movin' On
Jan & Dean - Little GTO
Merle Haggard - Workin' Man Blues
Toby Keith - Courtesy Of The Red White & Blue
Dean Martin - Standing On The Corner
Gordon Lightfoot - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Johnny Horton - Ballad Of The Green Berets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 3:01 pm, Tom B wrote:
"'Cause I got Magnetic Mary
Ridin' on the dashboard of my car
...."

wrote:

Speaking of the CMT, one of my favorites was that brought to us by the
Pink and Pleasant Plastic Jesus Company of Del Rio Texas...

"I don't care if it rains or freezes
'slong's I got my plastic Jesus
Glued to the dashboard of my car
Doin' 90 I'm not wary..."

Plastic jesus 's got to go
the magnet screws up the radio
riding on the dashboard of my car

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
(Knoffler can do kick as rock riffs or heart tuggers that'll
bring tears to your eyes)

I have a _fantastic_ live version of that in my iPod.

I have a DVD called Music For Montserrat (Arrow, Jimmy Buffet, Eric
Clapton, Phil Collins, Elton John, Mark Knopfler, Paul McCartney, Carl
Perkind and Sting.)
Mark Knopfler does a version of Brothers in Arms with a full orchestra
( IIRC conducted by George Martin at the Royal Albert Hall.)... let me
just say this... if that doesn't give you goose-bumps, you are not
alive.
Maybe that is the version you have. (McCartney's rendition of Golden
Slumbers is worth the price of the DVD alone.)

If I play it in the shop I've been known to stop working to shed a
tear...

No ****, eh?

PS, did ever hear any Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler 'duets'?
I don't play them often, because every time I do, I put my Tele away
in its case for a few days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Totally Guy Songs?

Leon Russell: A Song for You or Tight Rope

--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Anything by Barry Manilow, the BeeGees, Leo Sayer,...

Huh?

Oh, sorry. I thought you said totally GAY songs. (Not that there's anything
wrong with that)

B.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Good wife repellant music is Rob Zombie.....she leaves the shop in record
time as soon as "Black Sunshine" comes on, and yes it is nice to be alone
some days.

and IMHO for the list:

"The Jack" - AC/DC
"Girls, Girls, Girls" - Motley Crue
"Don't go away mad (just go away)" - Motley Crue
"Cherry Pie" - Warrant
"Uh! all night" - Kiss

Allen
"B A R R Y" wrote in message
et...

Totally guy songs:

Any and every Iron Maiden song.

Anything ever recorded by Rammstein.

All songs featuring Udo Dirkschnieder on lead vocals (Accept)

Most "Progressive Rock", especially newer bands like Dream Theater and
Coheed and Cambria. The extreme lack of women at Dream Theater shows is
as obvious as a Star Trek convention.

Rammstein is not just guy music, it's women repellant music. If I want my
wife to leave the shop, I simply cue up "Mein Tell" or "Reise, Reise" on
the iPod, and within seconds, I'm alone! G

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ballad of the Green Berets -- SSgt. Barry Sadler
Almost Heaven -- John Denver
Born of Frustration -- James 7
Washington Post March -- John P. Sousa

rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000714-2, 02/16/2007
Tested on: 2/17/2007 2:30:17 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just Wondering wrote:

Johnny Horton - Ballad Of The Green Berets.

Are you sure of that?

rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000714-2, 02/16/2007
Tested on: 2/17/2007 2:36:41 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill in Detroit wrote in news:12tdccq6v44eqb1
@corp.supernews.com:

Just Wondering wrote:

Johnny Horton - Ballad Of The Green Berets.

Are you sure of that?

Sgt. Barry Sandler is the guy known for it. A quick Wikipedia lookup
doesn't show anything about Johnny Horton.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:42:24 -0500, "Allen Roy"
wrote:

Good wife repellant music is Rob Zombie.....she leaves the shop in record
time as soon as "Black Sunshine" comes on,

That's good, as this allows you to save the nukes (Rammstein and
Accept) for when you really need them. G

"The Jack" rates with "Whole Lotta' Rosie" as my two favorite AC/DC
songs. "Sin City" can grab me on the right day.

I actually got to know the Warrant guys when they were up and coming,
as the opening act on "The Paul Stanley All-Star's" solo tour in '89.
To borrow a term from a famous movie, they "acted like pauncy
hairdressers". G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:25:43 -0500, "Buddy Matlosz"
wrote:

Anything by Barry Manilow, the BeeGees, Leo Sayer,...

Huh?

Oh, sorry. I thought you said totally GAY songs. (Not that there's anything
wrong with that)

What? No Leif Garrett?

(I only remember him from the movie "Joe Dirt"! G)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Bob Schmall" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
"Markem" wrote in message

Well with the recording contract giving them absolutely nothing money
wise, would you give away your work for free?
That artist/band _always_ pays for the recording in a "recording

contract"
... it wouldn't happen any other way.

I'm sure that's true, but Boston must have made so much from their debut
album that they could afford some studio time. The explanation I heard
was "creative stagnation." True?

Actually, "That" should have been "The". My typo.

The band _always_ pays.

Either they pay themselves upfront, which is much more common these days, or
under a "recording contract" the record company pays, but recoups the
recording/production costs out of record sales.

The fact that they had a "recording contract" ("recording" being the
operative word), and not a "Distribution deal", indicates the latter.

Either the way, the artist/band always pays recording and production costs
in some manner, so you're most likely correct in that it was "creative
stagnation" in Boston's case.

Then again, it could be just plain old unharmonious band politics ... after
an unspecified amount of time, bands are worse than the UN when it comes to
agreeing on _anything_!

Must be a mess of ex-band members here on the rec.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 17, 9:51 am, Bob Schmall wrote:

Must be a mess of ex-band members here on the rec.

I designed and built a few PA systems and played a little, so my
familiarity with the business is probably more in-depth than is
healthy... but somehow, I always avoided rehab.

Half of my friends are musicians, the other half are sober
businessmen.
I get invited to both parties.
What ties us together, is the hobby we sha we collect nude picture
of Bea Arthur and Helen Reddy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

Must be a mess of ex-band members here on the rec.

Nothing "ex" about it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

What ties us together, is the hobby we sha we collect nude picture
of Bea Arthur and Helen Reddy.

ROTFLMAO as the coffee comes spewing out of my mouth.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om,
"Robatoy" wrote:

Human Cannon Ball- Butthole Surfers

They recorded? Hot dam. They used to live in the upstairs of my duplex.
Rooooxanne...

--
"Keep your ass behind you."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill in Detroit wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:

Johnny Horton - Ballad Of The Green Berets.

Are you sure of that?

I apologize, the artist was Barry Sadler.

In case this was before your time, and your question comes from the word
"Beret" in the title, here are the lyrics. You decide if it's a Guy song.

Fighting soldiers from the sky
Fearless men who jump and die
Men who mean just what they say
The brave men of the Green Beret

CHORUS:
Silver wings upon their chest
These are men, America's best
One hundred men will test today
But only three win the Green Beret

Trained to live off nature's land
Trained in combat, hand-to-hand
Men who fight by night and day
Courage peak from the Green Berets

CHORUS

Back at home a young wife waits
Her Green Beret has met his fate
He has died for those oppressed
Leaving her his last request

“Put silver wings on my son's chest
Make him one of America's best
He'll be a man they'll test one day
Have him win the Green Beret”
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just Wondering wrote:

| Silver wings upon their chest

The guys who wear jump wings have their own songs that most people
will probably never hear. Some are nearly grim with determination
("Down from heaven comes 11 and there's hell to pay below") and some
acknowlege a heritage and an eagerness to live up to it ("We have a
rendez-vous with destiny").

All paratroopers seem to delight in singing "Blood on the Risers" to
the music of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" - about a rookie trooper's
final jump. The chorus starts out: "Gory, gory, what a hellova way to
die / He ain't gonna jump no more..."

I'm pretty sure they're guy songs. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

All paratroopers seem to delight in singing "Blood on the Risers" to
the music of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" - about a rookie trooper's
final jump. The chorus starts out: "Gory, gory, what a hellova way to
die / He ain't gonna jump no more..."

While doing PLF's off the mantel/bar/landing/table of any suitable "O" or
"NCO" club, just prior to closing time.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just Wondering wrote:

I don't need the lyrics. I can sing it from memory. ;-)

"It was bamibah, bamibah, bamibah wa-ooo"
"Yeah ... he's a trooper alright ... a garret trooper"

I had the album.

Bill

rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

All paratroopers seem to delight in singing "Blood on the Risers" to
the music of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" - about a rookie trooper's
final jump. The chorus starts out: "Gory, gory, what a hellova way to
die / He ain't gonna jump no more..."

While doing PLF's off the mantel/bar/landing/table of any suitable "O" or
"NCO" club, just prior to closing time.

Marines practicing "carrier landings" on tables, bar tops, etc.

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:06:08 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

All paratroopers seem to delight in singing "Blood on the Risers" to
the music of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" - about a rookie trooper's
final jump. The chorus starts out: "Gory, gory, what a hellova way to
die / He ain't gonna jump no more..."

While doing PLF's off the mantel/bar/landing/table of any suitable "O" or
"NCO" club, just prior to closing time.

Marines practicing "carrier landings" on tables, bar tops, etc.

Hmm. I'm reminded of an ex paratrooper who was always on about how he
knew how to land and for ten bucks he'd jump out that window. I
finally got sick of hearing him and gave him ten bucks. It was a 50
foot drop onto a fully laden bicycle rack.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 12:11 pm, Bob Schmall wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"Markem" wrote in message

Well with the recording contract giving them absolutely nothing money
wise, would you give away your work for free?

That artist/band _always_ pays for the recording in a "recording contract"
... it wouldn't happen any other way.

I'm sure that's true, but Boston must have made so much from their debut
album that they could afford some studio time. The explanation I heard
was "creative stagnation." True?

If I understand the way a typical contract works the label
gets most, or all of the profit from album sales while the
group makes money from concerts. Assuming of course,
that they do make money.

Boston's second album sounded a lot like the first. So much
so that many folks thought of them as a 'one-hit wonder' that
managed to stretch that hit over two albums. OTOH had
the second album been radically different, it might have bombed.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Harry Nilson's "You're Breaking my Heart"

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

If I understand the way a typical contract works the label
gets most, or all of the profit from album sales while the
group makes money from concerts. Assuming of course,
that they do make money.

That's pretty close ... the more famous you are, and the more albums you
have with a track record, the more favorable the terms you can negotiate on
a typical recording contract. Basically, the first time or two out of chute,
you get shafted ... labels, like any entity who writes the contract, can be
very creative in what comes out of gross to figure net.

For most any on in the music/recording business, the _real_ money is in the
publishing, not record sales, so those who write their own songs and manage
to hold onto the publishing rights can make a bundle.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07