Posted to alt.home.repair
kjulles2@______.com

Default CD player stops during songs

Not sure where to post this. I have a portable CD player that will
play 5 or 6 songs on a CD, then during the next songs it always stops
in the middle of songs. Sometimes it starts playing (where it left
off), after a few minutes. Other times it just stops and never starts
playing again unless I hit a button. It does not "skip", it just
stops during the song. It's always the 5th or 6th song and all higher
numbers. Is this just an electronic failure, or does the laser need
cleaning (and how)? I never had a CD player do something this weird.

Kelly

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Hi,

There are better groups to post it, but little can be helped. It sounds
like the mechanism which moves the laser is not working, the way it should.
The laser head moves from the inner edge of the CD to outer, during play.
If it stops in about the same place, but does not skip, something is
preventing it from moving. Sounds like a "basket case".

RichK

wrote in message

Not sure where to post this. I have a portable CD player that will
play 5 or 6 songs on a CD, then during the next songs it always stops
in the middle of songs. Sometimes it starts playing (where it left
off), after a few minutes. Other times it just stops and never starts
playing again unless I hit a button. It does not "skip", it just
stops during the song. It's always the 5th or 6th song and all higher
numbers. Is this just an electronic failure, or does the laser need
cleaning (and how)? I never had a CD player do something this weird.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What is it?
A stepper motor?
Maybe it just needs a little oil???
I oiled a stepper motor in a floppy drive and it worked a little
longer.

I never tore a CD player apart. Seems to me an old turntable with a
needle is much simpler.... Just change the needle yearly and it lasts
forever.
(and they say technology makes life easier).... NOT !!!!

Mark

-------------

wrote in message

Not sure where to post this. I have a portable CD player that will
play 5 or 6 songs on a CD, then during the next songs it always stops
in the middle of songs. Sometimes it starts playing (where it left
off), after a few minutes. Other times it just stops and never starts
playing again unless I hit a button. It does not "skip", it just
stops during the song. It's always the 5th or 6th song and all higher
numbers. Is this just an electronic failure, or does the laser need
cleaning (and how)? I never had a CD player do something this weird.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Clean the lens, but it is likely dirt Ive blowm out units with
compressed air that did the same thing, probably dirt inside it, see if
you can turn it on and off with the door open, push in the lock pin and
see were it is held up, if air wont help maybe try to force it through
the complete movement back and forth while it is trying to activate