Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Totally Guy Songs (warning-these lyrics may be offensive to women-but maybe not)

It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot.

Now I'd like to look at the other side.

My all time favorite is, "Her Strut", by good ole Bobby Seger.

Next up would be,"Simply Irresistable", by Robert Palmer.

"She's Always a Woman", by Billy Joel.

"Maybelline", by various and sundry (came from Ida Red).

"Your Cheatin' Heart", Hank.

"LA Woman", Doors.

"Don't Take Your Love To Town", (sorry, that was a joke).

"Stray Cat Blues", Stones. (it's no hangin' matter...)

"Factory Girl", Stones.

"Waiting For A Flatulent Girl", (can't remember)

"My Girl", Temps.

Rock On Brothers...

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"LA Woman", Doors.

You know that is about LA, not about a woman?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:07:11 -0500, Tom Watson
wrote:

It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot.

Rock On Brothers...

Might I add "The Lemon Song" Led Zeppelin (Willie Dixon deserves
credit and got it in Court)

Mark
http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:
It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot.

Now I'd like to look at the other side.

My all time favorite is, "Her Strut", by good ole Bobby Seger.

Next up would be,"Simply Irresistable", by Robert Palmer.

"She's Always a Woman", by Billy Joel.

"Maybelline", by various and sundry (came from Ida Red).

"Your Cheatin' Heart", Hank.

"LA Woman", Doors.

"Don't Take Your Love To Town", (sorry, that was a joke).

"Stray Cat Blues", Stones. (it's no hangin' matter...)

"Factory Girl", Stones.

"Waiting For A Flatulent Girl", (can't remember)

"My Girl", Temps.

Rock On Brothers...

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

A Boy Named Sue
J. Cash

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 01:09:12 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"LA Woman", Doors.

You know that is about LA, not about a woman?

Diane Gardner.

Listen to the song; not what foolish people say about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:19:54 -0600, Bob Schmall
wrote:

A Boy Named Sue
J. Cash

"She came runnin' down the mountain doin' ninety miles an hour

When the chain on her bicycle broke..."

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 01:21:50 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 01:09:12 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"LA Woman", Doors.

You know that is about LA, not about a woman?

Diane Gardner.

Listen to the song; not what foolish people say about it.

You should have got the joke by now.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 8:07 pm, Tom Watson wrote:
It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot.

Now I'd like to look at the other side.

very strong list, brother Watson. Thou doth omitteth the following:

I'm Your Man- Leonard Cohen.
Closing Time- Leonard Cohen
Paradise- John Prine
Long Black Veil - Dave Matthews Band
Shattered- Rolling Stones
Human Cannon Ball- Butthole Surfers
What A Wonderful World - Ramones
Boston (The whole frickin' album)- Boston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot.

Now I'd like to look at the other side.

snip

I'm disappointed none of the UK folks have mentioned some Ivor Biggun songs,
like "Bras on 45", "No! No! No!", or "The Son of John Thomas Allcock".
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer

Posted to rec.woodworking

You got to include the Boss - Born to Run, Thunder Road ('You ain't a
beauty, but hey you're alright'), E-street Shuffle ('Little Angel
steps the shuffle like she ain't got no brains') Many, many more

George Thorogood/John Lee Hooker - One bourbon, One shot, One Beer

Most anything from ZZ Top - La Grange, Legs, . .

How about Frank Zappa - I don't know many women who appreciate the
humor in Dynamo Hum

Rich

On Feb 15, 9:57 pm, Michael White wrote:
Tom Watson wrote:
It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot.

Now I'd like to look at the other side.

snip

I'm disappointed none of the UK folks have mentioned some Ivor Biggun songs,
like "Bras on 45", "No! No! No!", or "The Son of John Thomas Allcock".
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 01:21:50 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 01:09:12 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"LA Woman", Doors.

You know that is about LA, not about a woman?

Diane Gardner.

Listen to the song; not what foolish people say about it.

You should have got the joke by now.

One of us doesn't have much of a sense of humor. I will be open minded
enough to allow it might be me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote:

It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot.

Now I'd like to look at the other side.

snip

"Your Cheatin' Heart", Hank.

Now that's a gooder.

There are a few more **** kickers on my list, but Hank is still on top
of the list.

Then there is the non C/W, popular music market.

After Sinatra, who's left.

Joe Williams and Tony Bennett while quite good in their own right,
come in a distant 2nd.

Then there is the folk market.

Most are groups although Pete Seeger did some solo work.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 15 Feb 2007 19:36:20 -0800, "Richk" wrote:

You got to include the Boss - Born to Run, Thunder Road ('You ain't a
beauty, but hey you're alright'), E-street Shuffle ('Little Angel
steps the shuffle like she ain't got no brains') Many, many more

George Thorogood/John Lee Hooker - One bourbon, One shot, One Beer

That's "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 8:07 pm, Tom Watson wrote:
It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot.

Now I'd like to look at the other side.

"Good Old Boys Like Me" - Don Williams
"Pick-Up Man" - Joe Diffie
"Country Boy Can Survive" - Bocephus

I was thinking the other day that I never hear car songs like the
Beach Boys and Jan and Dean did back in the early sixties. I guess
it's hard to be very lyrical about a Honda Civic.

Dick Durbin

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

A Boy Named Sue
J. Cash

"She came runnin' down the mountain doin' ninety miles an hour

When the chain on her bicycle broke..."

"He was slippin' down that slope doin' 90 miles and hour
when a mogul flipped him in the air..."

That one's by the late Bob Gibson, sung by the Chad Mitchell Trio in the
early 60s. I'll bet it's the same melody.

"His jumpin' form was fine
until he ran into that pine
and two one-legged skiers left from there."

Bob
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot.

Now I'd like to look at the other side.

Dead skunk in the middle of the road.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
news

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 01:09:12 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"LA Woman", Doors.

You know that is about LA, not about a woman?

Diane Gardner.

Listen to the song; not what foolish people say about it.

You should have got the joke by now.

One of us doesn't have much of a sense of humor. I will be open minded
enough to allow it might be me.

Jeez, thanks Toller. We're so grateful.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 15, 8:07 pm, Tom Watson wrote:
It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot.

Now I'd like to look at the other side.

very strong list, brother Watson. Thou doth omitteth the following:

I'm Your Man- Leonard Cohen.
Closing Time- Leonard Cohen
Paradise- John Prine
Long Black Veil - Dave Matthews Band
Shattered- Rolling Stones
Human Cannon Ball- Butthole Surfers
What A Wonderful World - Ramones
Boston (The whole frickin' album)- Boston

Boston, yeah. I learned about them from my son and got to like them a
bunch. Too bad they committed careericide by waiting two years to bring
out their second album.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richk wrote:
You got to include the Boss - Born to Run, Thunder Road ('You ain't a
beauty, but hey you're alright'), E-street Shuffle ('Little Angel
steps the shuffle like she ain't got no brains') Many, many more

George Thorogood/John Lee Hooker - One bourbon, One shot, One Beer

Most anything from ZZ Top - La Grange, Legs, . .

How about Frank Zappa - I don't know many women who appreciate the
humor in Dynamo Hum

Rich

"Hot Rod Lincoln" by both Charlie Whatsisname and Whatsisname Cody and
the Lost Planet Airmen.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Totally guy songs:

Any and every Iron Maiden song.

Anything ever recorded by Rammstein.

All songs featuring Udo Dirkschnieder on lead vocals (Accept)

Most "Progressive Rock", especially newer bands like Dream Theater and
Coheed and Cambria. The extreme lack of women at Dream Theater shows is
as obvious as a Star Trek convention.

Rammstein is not just guy music, it's women repellant music. If I want
my wife to leave the shop, I simply cue up "Mein Tell" or "Reise, Reise"
on the iPod, and within seconds, I'm alone! G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Hall wrote:
"It's Hard to Kiss The Lips At Night" (that chew your a-- out all day long)
Notorious Cherry Bombs; AKA Vince Gill, Rodney Crowell

"If I'd Have Killed You When I Wanted To I'd Be Out by Now"
"I Hate Every Bone In Your Body But Mine"
First Prize For Brevity: two bar guitar riff, then "Get Outta Here!"
(I've heard that one played)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"How Come My Dog Don't Bark When You Come 'Round" by Buck Owens
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:48:07 -0600, Bob Schmall
wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 15, 8:07 pm, Tom Watson wrote:
It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot.

Now I'd like to look at the other side.

snip
Boston (The whole frickin' album)- Boston

Boston, yeah. I learned about them from my son and got to like them a
bunch. Too bad they committed careericide by waiting two years to bring
out their second album.

Well with the recording contract giving them absolutely nothing money
wise, would you give away your work for free?

Mark
http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Schmall wrote:
| Tom Watson wrote:
|| On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:19:54 -0600, Bob Schmall
|| wrote:
||| A Boy Named Sue
||| J. Cash
|| "She came runnin' down the mountain doin' ninety miles an hour
|| When the chain on her bicycle broke..."
|

| "He was slippin' down that slope doin' 90 miles and hour
| when a mogul flipped him in the air..."
|
| That one's by the late Bob Gibson, sung by the Chad Mitchell Trio
| in the early 60s. I'll bet it's the same melody.
|
| "His jumpin' form was fine
| until he ran into that pine
| and two one-legged skiers left from there."

Speaking of the CMT, one of my favorites was that brought to us by the
Pink and Pleasant Plastic Jesus Company of Del Rio Texas...

"I don't care if it rains or freezes
'slong's I got my plastic Jesus
Glued to the dashboard of my car
Doin' 90 I'm not wary..."

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markem" wrote in message

Well with the recording contract giving them absolutely nothing money
wise, would you give away your work for free?

That artist/band _always_ pays for the recording in a "recording contract"
.... it wouldn't happen any other way.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Bob Schmall wrote:
| Tom Watson wrote:
|| On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:19:54 -0600, Bob Schmall
|| wrote:
||| A Boy Named Sue
||| J. Cash
|| "She came runnin' down the mountain doin' ninety miles an hour
|| When the chain on her bicycle broke..."
|

| "He was slippin' down that slope doin' 90 miles and hour
| when a mogul flipped him in the air..."
|
| That one's by the late Bob Gibson, sung by the Chad Mitchell Trio
| in the early 60s. I'll bet it's the same melody.
|
| "His jumpin' form was fine
| until he ran into that pine
| and two one-legged skiers left from there."

Speaking of the CMT, one of my favorites was that brought to us by the
Pink and Pleasant Plastic Jesus Company of Del Rio Texas...

That name is loony enough to be true.

"I don't care if it rains or freezes
'slong's I got my plastic Jesus
Glued to the dashboard of my car
Doin' 90 I'm not wary..."

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Morris, what's DeSoto Solar? Seriously.

Bob?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Markem" wrote in message

Well with the recording contract giving them absolutely nothing money
wise, would you give away your work for free?

That artist/band _always_ pays for the recording in a "recording contract"
... it wouldn't happen any other way.

I'm sure that's true, but Boston must have made so much from their debut
album that they could afford some studio time. The explanation I heard
was "creative stagnation." True?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Schmall wrote:

Richk wrote:

You got to include the Boss - Born to Run, Thunder Road ('You ain't a

[zxorp

"Hot Rod Lincoln" by both Charlie Whatsisname and Whatsisname Cody and
the Lost Planet Airmen.

Commander Cody

Posted to rec.woodworking

Olebiker wrote:

On Feb 15, 8:07 pm, Tom Watson wrote:

It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot.

Now I'd like to look at the other side.

"Good Old Boys Like Me" - Don Williams
"Pick-Up Man" - Joe Diffie
"Country Boy Can Survive" - Bocephus

I was thinking the other day that I never hear car songs like the
Beach Boys and Jan and Dean did back in the early sixties. I guess
it's hard to be very lyrical about a Honda Civic.

Dick Durbin

My favorite title/group name was "Brontosaurus Stomp" by the Piltdown
Men. Can't remember the tune but the names live on.
remembering stupid stuff,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

"How Come My Dog Don't Bark When You Come 'Round" by Buck Owens

Or for an earlier version, try Prince Partridge. Love Buck Owens songs.
"Love's gonna live here" always does it for me. Have a friend who was
in Bakersfield when he passed on. Whole town went into mouring.
sigh,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
"Markem" wrote in message

Well with the recording contract giving them absolutely nothing money
wise, would you give away your work for free?

That artist/band _always_ pays for the recording in a "recording

contract"
... it wouldn't happen any other way.

I'm sure that's true, but Boston must have made so much from their debut
album that they could afford some studio time. The explanation I heard
was "creative stagnation." True?

Actually, "That" should have been "The". My typo.

The band _always_ pays.

Either they pay themselves upfront, which is much more common these days, or
under a "recording contract" the record company pays, but recoups the
recording/production costs out of record sales.

The fact that they had a "recording contract" ("recording" being the
operative word), and not a "Distribution deal", indicates the latter.

Either the way, the artist/band always pays recording and production costs
in some manner, so you're most likely correct in that it was "creative
stagnation" in Boston's case.

Then again, it could be just plain old unharmonious band politics ... after
an unspecified amount of time, bands are worse than the UN when it comes to
agreeing on _anything_!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Olebiker wrote:

"Good Old Boys Like Me" - Don Williams
"Pick-Up Man" - Joe Diffie
"Country Boy Can Survive" - Bocephus

"The Truth About Men" by Tracy Byrd
"I'm Gonna Miss Her" by Brad Paisley
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

Boston, yeah. I learned about them from my son and got to like them a
bunch. Too bad they committed careericide by waiting two years to bring
out their second album.

I wished I had a nickel for every studio time dollar that was wasted back in
the early 80's trying to emulate Tom Scholz's guitar sound. Then he came out
with the "Rockman" processors ... one of the most brilliant folks in the
music business.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

"How Come My Dog Don't Bark When You Come 'Round" by Buck Owens

Or for an earlier version, try Prince Partridge. Love Buck Owens songs.
"Love's gonna live here" always does it for me. Have a friend who was
in Bakersfield when he passed on. Whole town went into mouring.
sigh,
jo4hn

I know the first time I ever heard it, many years ago, it sounded like
an older black guy singing it.... don't know if that is the one you're
talking about.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Schmall wrote:

I'm sure that's true, but Boston must have made so much from their debut
album that they could afford some studio time. The explanation I heard
was "creative stagnation." True?

Maybe Tom Scholz needed time to design and build new effects, before he
could start another record. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Then he came out
with the "Rockman" processors ... one of the most brilliant folks in the
music business.

Those things were all kinds of noisy, and not very roadworthy, though.

It's too bad they couldn't have made a "Pro" line that was less noisy
and used switches and connectors better than Radio Shack's cheapest!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
Then he came out
with the "Rockman" processors ... one of the most brilliant folks in the
music business.

Those things were all kinds of noisy, and not very roadworthy, though.

They were noisy in the studio, for sure. I still have a bass rockman around
somewhere that hasn't seen the light of day in 20 years or more.

It's too bad they couldn't have made a "Pro" line that was less noisy
and used switches and connectors better than Radio Shack's cheapest!

Oh well ... cheap was better than the 5 grand worth of vintage tube gear it
took to emulate in the studio, and that was at 80's prices.

I was proud to see someone come in with one ... that way "we" got the sound
he wanted without me having to jump through hoops, and most didn't play
quite enough for the noise to matter, or the amp was noisier to start with.

My only personal "gadget" for the past ten years or so has been a "SansAmp"
Bass driver DI.

.... it's probably "vintage" now.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

I was proud to see someone come in with one ... that way "we" got the sound
he wanted without me having to jump through hoops, and most didn't play
quite enough for the noise to matter, or the amp was noisier to start with.

Those were the only times I ever needed to gate bass DI's during live
shows for non-artistic reasons. G

Rockmans actually worked OK live for bass (which we would usually
compress anyway for hard rock & metal), but I thought the guitar
versions were a tad over compressed for live shows, they make the guitar
sound kind of plastic and lifeless. I've seen more guitar players mess
up the sound and sustain of an 80's+ Marshall (the JCM's with the
"screen" (not vinyl & piping) face) with too many effects.

I think I still have a Bass Rockman around too. It made a decent
headphone amp. My complaint about the switches comes from seeing more
than one change settings (or become suddenly silent) because a switch
didn't make properly.

But you're right... For the price? Excellent! And for the technology
of the time, very small!