Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lee Valley causes me only shame

The new flier from Lee Valley came yesterday and has caused me only
shame. There on page 3 I found Brass Bit Holders, developed to hold
various sizes of router bit shanks.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,56500&p=56500
For years I kept my router bits in an old cigar box. Friends
constantly
shamed and nagged me into making a better holder.
I finally sawed off a scrap of two-by-four and drilled
holes freehand at various angles. It was never beautiful, barely
functional, but seemed
to do the trick. A few months ago I built a new base for my router
table
and added a slick drawer with neatly arranged holes for my bits. At
last I
felt completely satisfied (shall we say smug) with my router bit
storage. Now
Robin tells me I must have brass barriers around the shanks of my
bits,
that simple holes drilled into the wood cause moisture migration and
will
corrode the shanks. I couldn't sleep last night for worry that
moisture may
already be doing it's nefarious damage .... once again I'm ashamed of
myself and my slovenly router bit storage system. Thanks Robin Lee.
BTW, when your bits are stored in a cigar box, rapid shaking will
always remove
sticky resin from the carbide edges. Can't say the same for my drawer
however.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Is this corrosion like invisible? I have stored my bits plain old wood
holes for years and don't see any damage; but if it is invisible maybe I
should buy all new ones?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

Is this corrosion like invisible? I have stored my bits plain old wood
holes for years and don't see any damage; but if it is invisible maybe I
should buy all new ones?

May depend on humidity level in the shop. Here in Saskatchewan it's
likely not an issue, but I lived for a while where the humidity could be
90% or higher and carbon steel started to rust pretty fast.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote

Is this corrosion like invisible? I have stored my bits plain old wood
holes for years and don't see any damage; but if it is invisible maybe I
should buy all new ones?

No problem, just send $19.95 plus $36 for shipping and handling to me for a
big can of Invisible Corrosion Remover.

Think of all the money you will save by not having to buy new bits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 14, 12:23 pm, "Toller" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Actually, it is invisible, and very toxic. If you send your old ones
to an address I'll provide you, they will be safely disposed of. But
hurry, before somebody suffers terrible health consequences.

-jtpr

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:23:43 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Is this corrosion like invisible? I have stored my bits plain old wood
holes for years and don't see any damage; but if it is invisible maybe I
should buy all new ones?

Well, I had all my bits in holes in a piece of ply, and then I got a
whiteside bit and stuck it in with the rest. After only a couple of
days the part of the shank that was in the hole was discolored. The
rest of the bits are fine. Maybe the other bits are coated and the
whiteside is plain.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 14, 12:00 pm, wrote:
[...]

The router table which Norm built a few seasons ago had a bit storage
drawer with out any brass barriers protecting the shanks. If this is
a real problem you could keep a dessicant bag in the drawer. I hear
the distant cry of over kill.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I gotta laugh. I got the same catalog yesterday, and I just finished a
new bit case (a rather overly-fancy walnut and spalted maple creation).
As soon as I saw those bit holders, my first thought was "Damn, now I
have to get me some of these if I really want this case to be first-rate.

Charlie M.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

I don't doubt it a bit (I obviously don't have my catalog yet); but
they're going to have to work hard to be purtier than the stuff I'm
already saving up for. Robin seems to make a practice of turning out
purty stuff out faster than I can afford to spend...

Well, have a look. Only one question on my part. From the picture, they
appear to be threaded, not just lipped for a press to fit insertion. I'm
wondering how one goes about screwing these inserts into the wood without
causing any damage to them?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...00&cat=51&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|| I don't doubt it a bit (I obviously don't have my catalog yet); but
|| they're going to have to work hard to be purtier than the stuff I'm
|| already saving up for. Robin seems to make a practice of turning
|| out purty stuff out faster than I can afford to spend...
|
| Well, have a look. Only one question on my part. From the picture,
| they appear to be threaded, not just lipped for a press to fit
| insertion. I'm wondering how one goes about screwing these inserts
| into the wood without causing any damage to them?
|
| http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...00&cat=51&ap=1

I think the appearance is deceiving. According to the description,
they're intended to be either dropped or pressed into a 5/8"D hole and
the spiral groove is meant to provide a "good mechanical glue lock if
permanent installation is desired." If you click on the "View" link
you can get a better look.

Another interesting question might be whether the center 1/4", 1/2",
or 8mm "bore" is stopped or through. If the latter, then one might
wonder just how effective they really are as moisture barriers...

Lee Michaels is right, though, they are purty. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

I don't doubt it a bit (I obviously don't have my catalog yet); but
they're going to have to work hard to be purtier than the stuff I'm
already saving up for. Robin seems to make a practice of turning out
purty stuff out faster than I can afford to spend...

Well, have a look. Only one question on my part. From the picture, they
appear to be threaded, not just lipped for a press to fit insertion. I'm
wondering how one goes about screwing these inserts into the wood without
causing any damage to them?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...00&cat=51&ap=1

Didn't Robin include the special Brass Bit Holder Driving Tool??

Oh...., that must be another $17.95.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't doubt it a bit (I obviously don't have my catalog yet); but
they're going to have to work hard to be purtier than the stuff I'm
already saving up for. Robin seems to make a practice of turning out
purty stuff out faster than I can afford to spend...

Well, have a look. Only one question on my part. From the picture, they
appear to be threaded, not just lipped for a press to fit insertion. I'm
wondering how one goes about screwing these inserts into the wood without
causing any damage to them?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...00&cat=51&ap=1

They are not threaded into the board/plank/ply/whatever...the grooves are
glue grooves to aid in making a good mechanical joint if you decide to glue
them in.

On the other hand, they do look pretty cool...put for $2.00usd each, I can
make a buttload of them...maybe even play around with some titanium router
bit holders!

God, I love my job!

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 14, 11:00 am, wrote:
[...]

All the router bits I've ever bought (Jesada, CMT, Sears, Menards,
Payless, etc.) always came in a wooden box, with plastic inserts for
the shanks, or in plastic cases. I just leave the bits in the case or
box it came with. No rust on the shanks, no banging the edges
together. Keep them all in the same drawer so I know where they are
at. Haven't seen the need yet to make an official display case for
them. Never even thought about the shanks rusting. I've had quite a
few drill bits stored in the metal case they came in, or in wood
holes. Seems to me a metal drill bit case in a metal tool chest would
be a moisture magnet. My drill bits have not rusted in many years
stored this way. But Lee Valley should invent brass drill bit holders
too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

All the router bits I've ever bought (Jesada, CMT, Sears, Menards,
Payless, etc.) always came in a wooden box, with plastic inserts for
the shanks, or in plastic cases. I just leave the bits in the case or
box it came with. No rust on the shanks, no banging the edges
together. Keep them all in the same drawer so I know where they are
at. Haven't seen the need yet to make an official display case for
them. Never even thought about the shanks rusting. I've had quite a
few drill bits stored in the metal case they came in, or in wood
holes. Seems to me a metal drill bit case in a metal tool chest would
be a moisture magnet. My drill bits have not rusted in many years
stored this way. But Lee Valley should invent brass drill bit holders
too.

Good suggestion, I've kinda been worried about my drill bits too. A
brass holder for each and every one would be just the ticket to ease
my shame factor. I'm also excited about another item I found in the
new
Lee Valley flier ...... a long handled spider catcher!
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...14&cat=2,51555
Up to now I've been using my old block of wood router bit holder (sans
brass bit inserts) to smash spiders around the shop. For just $19.95
I can treat them with kindness and provide them a plastic spider
buddy. It can't get any sweeter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 15 Feb 2007 07:17:36 -0800, wrote:

[...]

If it really catches and releases them without harming them I might
get one. I see one or two of these guys
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/389463371/ every year and
I hate to smash them both because they're harmless and because they
make a big mess (they're huge, one of the largest North American
spiders), but having them running around the shop gives me the
willies. Be nice to be able to take them to the creek out back and
let them go where they can catch some minnows without bothering me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
[...]

Why not just get 'em a can of sardines and train them in how to open it?

Bill

rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000714-0, 02/15/2007
Tested on: 2/15/2007 9:21:40 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:21:40 -0500, Bill in Detroit
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
[...]

Shh. They might teach the cat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 4:05�pm, J. Clarke wrote:
[...]

let them go where they can catch some minnows without bothering me.- Hide quoted text -

DAMN! I wouldn't use the catcher on them. They might grab it from
your hand and beat you with it!

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Robin tells me I must have brass barriers around the shanks of my
bits, that simple holes drilled into the wood cause moisture

Yeah, but just think of how good your router bits will look. After all,
everybody knows that we don't buy tools and accessories to do any real
woodworking, we only buy stuff so we can brag to our buddies about the great
looking shop what we've got.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 14 Feb 2007 09:00:32 -0800, wrote:

The new flier from Lee Valley came yesterday and has caused me only
shame. There on page 3 I found Brass Bit Holders, developed to hold
various sizes of router bit shanks.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,56500&p=56500

Snip--

I spent hours on their website and then did a web search looking for
some type of cover for these inserts. LV doesn't even offer a brass
polishing kit (at additional charge, of course) to go with them. I
think I will wait until the polishing and protective cover issue are
resolved before sending in my order.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Geez - cut a guy some slack... we got asked for 'em... you vote with
dollars, we just put up the slate.

We give router bit holders at N/C with the bits we sell... the glass filled
nylon ones. We try not to make judgements on what the market deems as
"necessary" - we just offer alternatives, and let each of you determine what
has value. Would I buy them - no. Would someone buy them - yes. Are they
reasonably priced - yes. It's just a progamming change on a lathe....and we
make them for our displays anyway.

Sheesh ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rob Lee" wrote

Geez - cut a guy some slack... we got asked for 'em... you vote with
dollars, we just put up the slate.

We give router bit holders at N/C with the bits we sell... the glass
filled nylon ones. We try not to make judgements on what the market deems
as "necessary" - we just offer alternatives, and let each of you determine
what has value. Would I buy them - no. Would someone buy them - yes. Are
they reasonably priced - yes. It's just a progamming change on a
lathe....and we make them for our displays anyway.

I see the problem here Robin. You were talking to those eskimo types who
frequent your stores in the barren north. They like pretty little thing
like this.

But most of us have never entered your stores. We live in other countries.
This miscommunication occurred because you have no stores in our country.
The solution is obvious.

OPEN SOME STORES SOUTH OF THE BORDER!!!

Then we will be able to observe first hand Lee Valley behavior and store
practices. Then we will no longer be culturally deprived and make such
glaring errors.

Puleeeeeez.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

I see the problem here Robin. You were talking to those eskimo types who
frequent your stores in the barren north. They like pretty little thing
like this.

But most of us have never entered your stores. We live in other countries.
This miscommunication occurred because you have no stores in our country.
The solution is obvious.

OPEN SOME STORES SOUTH OF THE BORDER!!!

Then we will be able to observe first hand Lee Valley behavior and store
practices. Then we will no longer be culturally deprived and make such
glaring errors.

Puleeeeeez.....

I'm with Lee on this one, Rob. I happen to be a very frequent visitor to
the store at Pinecrest and Iris, and this is something that needs to be
exported - badly.

I know from reading here that the US has some stores that approximate
what LV does up here, but I also know there's room for more of it, and I
think you'd make a killing in just about any place you opened up. Hell,
if you can make a go of it in Ottawa, BrokenButtPlug, Midwest US should
be a breeze.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 20, 12:13�am, Tanus wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:

[...]

Only because they sell generic replacement buttplugs

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 14, 12:00 pm, wrote:
The new flier from Lee Valley came yesterday and has caused me only
shame. There on page 3 I found Brass Bit Holders, developed to hold
various sizes of router bit shanks.http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,56500&p=56500
Now
Robin tells me I must have brass barriers around the shanks of my
bits,
that simple holes drilled into the wood cause moisture migration and
will
corrode the shanks.

If the object of the exercise is to protect the shanks from
corrosion the inserts should be made of zinc.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:46:11 -0500, Bill in Detroit

If the object of the exercise is to protect the shanks from
corrosion the inserts should be made of zinc.

--

FF

Fred ... the object of the exercise is to appease those who spend all
their time in the shop making things FOR the shop. You know, the guys
who laser-etch their story sticks and file their shavings by species,
size and moisture content. The guys who call Rob to buy a plane and he
DELIVERS it, personally.

Frankly, I think they look pretty neat. But I do my woodworking in a
basement shop with exposed joists, a cracked floor, not enough light,
cinder-block walls and a drippy pipe I keep meaning to get to.

Glad I'm not the only one. I did finally fix the drippy pipe though.
One of them anyway. Wanged a piece of 8/4 maple into it one day and
turned it from a "drippy pipe" to a "gusher" and figured that while I
was fixing it I may as well do a right job of it.

Still trying to clear enough space to get the jack under the outboard
end of the rotted joist though.

Maybe someday ... maybe someday.

Bill

Lee Valley Phil Hansen Woodworking 18 September 6th 06 06:51 PM
Lee Valley Joe Woodworking 26 April 12th 06 04:50 AM
Thank You Lee Valley (Rob Lee and staff) Groggy Woodworking 13 May 17th 05 07:35 PM
Lee Valley does it again! James \Cubby\ Culbertson Woodworking 26 December 10th 04 03:20 AM
Thanks, Lee Valley! Prometheus Woodworking 9 November 2nd 04 02:50 PM