Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Compressor motor on ts

What happens if you mount a compressor motor on a table saw?
I have a salvaged 2 hp compressor motor from an old compressor. The motor
is not as old as the compressor was. It is a Granger replacement..

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
newsdZyh.4768$6P4.4158@trnddc06...
What happens if you mount a compressor motor on a table saw?
I have a salvaged 2 hp compressor motor from an old compressor. The motor
is not as old as the compressor was. It is a Granger replacement..

Is it a TEFC motor? Does it spin in the correct direction?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
newsdZyh.4768$6P4.4158@trnddc06...
What happens if you mount a compressor motor on a table saw?
I have a salvaged 2 hp compressor motor from an old compressor. The motor
is not as old as the compressor was. It is a Granger replacement..

You get high pressure sawdust blowing all over the place.

What is important is power, frame size (that determines shaft size),
voltage, rpm and rotation. It they are all the same or can be made the
same, it is compatible. Motors are usually made to certain specifications,
not a single use (although they do exist)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"As I understand it" a compressor motor is not sealed adequately to deal
with the dust the TS will produce. As long as it is the right size, speed,
etc. it will work; but it might not work long.
If you have no other use for the motor you can see how long it lasts.

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
newsdZyh.4768$6P4.4158@trnddc06...
What happens if you mount a compressor motor on a table saw?
I have a salvaged 2 hp compressor motor from an old compressor. The motor
is not as old as the compressor was. It is a Granger replacement..

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a "compressor motor" that turns the wrong way and is not reversible.
If your motor turns, or can be made to turn, the right way, go for it. I
expect most Grainger motors are reversible.
Most TS motors are 3600 RPM, I think, and the compressor motor is likely
1800, so you'll need a pulley with twice the diameter of the original.
Wilson
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
newsdZyh.4768$6P4.4158@trnddc06...
What happens if you mount a compressor motor on a table saw?
I have a salvaged 2 hp compressor motor from an old compressor. The motor
is not as old as the compressor was. It is a Granger replacement..

You get high pressure sawdust blowing all over the place.

What is important is power, frame size (that determines shaft size),
voltage, rpm and rotation. It they are all the same or can be made the
same, it is compatible. Motors are usually made to certain
specifications, not a single use (although they do exist)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
"As I understand it" a compressor motor is not sealed adequately to deal
with the dust the TS will produce. As long as it is the right size, speed,
etc. it will work; but it might not work long.
If you have no other use for the motor you can see how long it lasts.

Compressor motors are often "open drip-proof" or ODP. Better motors for
shop use are "totally enclosed fan-cooled", or TEFC.

While TEFC is nice, its not strictly necessary. For a while I owned a
decades-old Rockwell table saw with an ODP motor. You just need to blow
the dust out periodically.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
"As I understand it" a compressor motor is not sealed adequately to deal
with the dust the TS will produce. As long as it is the right size,
speed, etc. it will work; but it might not work long.
If you have no other use for the motor you can see how long it lasts.

Neither was the motor on my high end Delta contractors saw! Good old open
motor, just let the dust blow right on through!
If it turns the right direction, use it.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
newsdZyh.4768$6P4.4158@trnddc06...
What happens if you mount a compressor motor on a table saw?
snip

Thanks guys for the response. I know what to look for now. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Greg O wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message
"As I understand it" a compressor motor is not sealed adequately to deal
with the dust the TS will produce. As long as it is the right size,
speed, etc. it will work; but it might not work long.
If you have no other use for the motor you can see how long it lasts.

Neither was the motor on my high end Delta contractors saw! Good old open
motor, just let the dust blow right on through!
If it turns the right direction, use it.
Greg

My Delta Contractor saw also has the original ODP motor. The saw was
several years old when I bought it, about 8 years ago.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org