Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Compressor motor on ts

Toller wrote:
"As I understand it" a compressor motor is not sealed adequately to deal
with the dust the TS will produce. As long as it is the right size, speed,
etc. it will work; but it might not work long.
If you have no other use for the motor you can see how long it lasts.

Compressor motors are often "open drip-proof" or ODP. Better motors for
shop use are "totally enclosed fan-cooled", or TEFC.

While TEFC is nice, its not strictly necessary. For a while I owned a
decades-old Rockwell table saw with an ODP motor. You just need to blow
the dust out periodically.

Chris