Posted to alt.home.repair
joemik

Default air compressor motor dies

Hi,

I am having some trouble with my ingersoll rand air compressor. It
charges up to 110 psi with no problems and as long as I don't use any
air tool I will have no problems. The problem is that when i do use any
air tool, even just for a couple seconds, the air compressor motor will
just turn off. It doesnt sound like there's a load on the motor when
this happens, it doesnt slow down a little bit then stall. its more of
as if someone just turned off a switch. I was hopeing someone could
help me out here because I am stumped. BTW, i just replaced the
unloader valve because i thought that was the problem but the same
thing was happening with the new unloader. Any Ideas??

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Assuming it's a single phase capacitor start motor, I'd guess the starting
capacitor is dead

"joemik" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am having some trouble with my ingersoll rand air compressor. It
charges up to 110 psi with no problems and as long as I don't use any
air tool I will have no problems. The problem is that when i do use any
air tool, even just for a couple seconds, the air compressor motor will
just turn off. It doesnt sound like there's a load on the motor when
this happens, it doesnt slow down a little bit then stall. its more of
as if someone just turned off a switch. I was hopeing someone could
help me out here because I am stumped. BTW, i just replaced the
unloader valve because i thought that was the problem but the same
thing was happening with the new unloader. Any Ideas??

Posted to alt.home.repair
joemik

the starting capacitor, whats that?

BTW, its a honda gas engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"joemik" wrote in message
oups.com...
the starting capacitor, whats that?

BTW, its a honda gas engine.

WTF! Why didn't you say that from the beginning? Leaving out a major piece
of information does not help to find a solution. Starting capacitors are on
electric motors, not gas engines. Most of us run compressors with electric
motors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas Kendrick

I had a gas-powered compressor in the past. The mechanism that
responds to the unloader must not be set right. The engine should slow
down when the unloader is dumping air rather than putting it into the
tank. When the unloader detects minimum pressure, two things should
happen:
- the engine should accelerate to a higher rpm
- the unloader valve should close such that pump output goes into the
tank
It sounds like the throttle linkage for the motor is not set correctly
for the unloader when it kicks back in.

On 27 May 2006 19:01:54 -0700, "joemik" wrote:

Hi,

I am having some trouble with my ingersoll rand air compressor. It
charges up to 110 psi with no problems and as long as I don't use any
air tool I will have no problems. The problem is that when i do use any
air tool, even just for a couple seconds, the air compressor motor will
just turn off. It doesnt sound like there's a load on the motor when
this happens, it doesnt slow down a little bit then stall. its more of
as if someone just turned off a switch. I was hopeing someone could
help me out here because I am stumped. BTW, i just replaced the
unloader valve because i thought that was the problem but the same
thing was happening with the new unloader. Any Ideas??

Posted to alt.home.repair
joemik

Sorry bout the left out piece of info....The engien slows down
correctly, at 110 psi. But once a use a small amount of air is used
with an air tool, that is when it dies. Its not dying when it reaches a
low psi at which the motor should accelerate. I can increase the
throttle with my hand and it will still die when air is let out.

joe