Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

Only the Texas GOP could produce such a ****tard.

Parents Who Skip School Meetings Could Be Fined

AUSTIN, Texas -- Parents bewa Miss a meeting with your child's
teacher
and it could cost you a $500 fine and a criminal record.

A Republican state lawmaker from Baytown has filed a bill that would
charge
parents of public school students with a misdemeanor and fine them for
playing hooky from a scheduled parent-teacher conference.

Rep. Wayne Smith said Wednesday he wants to get parents involved in
their
child's education.

"I think it helps the kids for the parents and teachers to
communicate.
That's all the intent was," Smith said.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds like a good idea to me. Your child is more important than anything
else in the world. If it takes a $500 fine to get the parents to be
responsible then so be it.

wrote in message
ps.com...
Only the Texas GOP could produce such a ****tard.

Parents Who Skip School Meetings Could Be Fined

AUSTIN, Texas -- Parents bewa Miss a meeting with your child's
teacher
and it could cost you a $500 fine and a criminal record.

A Republican state lawmaker from Baytown has filed a bill that would
charge
parents of public school students with a misdemeanor and fine them for
playing hooky from a scheduled parent-teacher conference.

Rep. Wayne Smith said Wednesday he wants to get parents involved in
their
child's education.

"I think it helps the kids for the parents and teachers to
communicate.
That's all the intent was," Smith said.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
t:

Sounds like a good idea to me. Your child is more important than
anything else in the world. If it takes a $500 fine to get the
parents to be responsible then so be it.

I was part of a school that wanted parents to get involved. They came up
with one activity that they got everyone to do, and that was take the
rule sheet home and have a parent sign it. That's really getting
involved now. (All it really did was create hassle for me, having to
remember to bring the thing home and back again.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2 Feb 2007 18:59:01 -0800, "
wrote:

Only the Texas GOP could produce such a snip

Pretty much indicates where you are coming from

Parents Who Skip School Meetings Could Be Fined

AUSTIN, Texas -- Parents bewa Miss a meeting with your child's
teacher
and it could cost you a $500 fine and a criminal record.

A Republican state lawmaker from Baytown has filed a bill that would
charge
parents of public school students with a misdemeanor and fine them for
playing hooky from a scheduled parent-teacher conference.

Rep. Wayne Smith said Wednesday he wants to get parents involved in
their
child's education.

"I think it helps the kids for the parents and teachers to
communicate.
That's all the intent was," Smith said.

I can see where this may be a good idea. Particularly in schools that
are having "behavioral" problems with students whose parents are barely
older than the children the school is trying to educate. What is a school
to do when you have a discipline problem with a child and the parents
continually avoid meeting with the teacher? Since education is mandatory
and provided at taxpayer expense, there are some responsibilities that
parents should assume.

Of course the application of this law needs to be reasonable. Trying to
apply it to a parent who has an emergency situation the first time a
meeting is scheduled should not result in a fine, after the second or third
missed meeting however, it seems that the school should have some recourse.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 2, 8:59 pm, " wrote:

Only the Texas GOP could produce such a ****tard.

Parents Who Skip School Meetings Could Be Fined

SNIP

Rep. Wayne Smith said Wednesday he wants to get parents involved in
their
child's education.

"I think it helps the kids for the parents and teachers to
communicate.
That's all the intent was," Smith said.

Well, even if the others here won't say anything, I for one am proud
of you for standing up for your rights as a parent. As there are many
just like you that feel that skipping part of your child's needs are
there prerogative, that is no doubt what brought this about.

My best buddy is a teacher in a disadvantaged district, and believe
me, people like you make his job easy. Less than 30% of the parents
that make appts. to see him show. That's right, less than 30%. The
students that need a parent/teacher/prinicpal conference are not his
star students, and he feels since their parents have sent them to the
school to be raised rather than taking that on themselves (hey... they
just pumped 'em out), the school should get a little help with the
kids. Most likely source in their unenlightened eyes are the
parents. Progress reports go unanswered; emails ignored; phone calls
are unreturned.

As he will tell you, most of those kids never make it to their
senior year.

But as we all know, the kiddos have rights, too. Their dumbasses have
a right to stay just as stupid, uncaring, and ignorant as their
uncaring parents. It is a tradition with some that has been passed
from generation to generation. And my buddy will tell you too, some
of the parents that do show up have a lot of bad attitude about their
day being interrupted by the school calling; the only reason they show
up is the threat of expulsion or long term suspension. Then the
school would no longer baby sit; the parents would be fully
responsible. Sensing the lesser of two evils (and impending
responsibility), the parent go to the conference. I know you see
their point; really, who wants to put out any more effort than you
need to to take care of your kid?

Imagine someone wanting to break that cycle.

Thanks for standing up for all the other that are too stupid and lazy
to take care of their kids. Without people like you to bravely speak
up about how stupid it is to get parents involved in the education and
affais of their children, we wouldn't even realize how far out of hand
this whole parental involvement bull**** has gotten.

Good for you!

I will say though, I am not sure what being a Texan has to do with
anything... you weren't by chance sticking your tongue out when you
said that were you? This is the internet, so if you were you need to
let us know.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

It's really sad that a LOT of parents view school as something akin to
sending raw materials into a factory. They just want to pick up a
finished part at the end, and they blame the school for the problems.

My wife sees this even in Pre-K (She's a teacher for kids with special
needs).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Go get 'em.
It would be a whole other story if one of the teachers was to strike one of
the students.....you wouldn't be able to keep the parent away from the
school and they would attend every meeting between their attorney and the
school!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
My best buddy is a teacher in a disadvantaged district, and believe
me, people like you make his job easy. Less than 30% of the parents
that make appts. to see him show. That's right, less than 30%. The
students that need a parent/teacher/prinicpal conference are not his
star students, and he feels since their parents have sent them to the
school to be raised rather than taking that on themselves (hey... they
just pumped 'em out), the school should get a little help with the
kids. Most likely source in their unenlightened eyes are the
parents. Progress reports go unanswered; emails ignored; phone calls
are unreturned.

Yep, the ones who attend conferences are the parents of the kids whose
effort and results are generally the best. Can't say it publicly, or in the
lounge, which might be wired, because it's not the position of the NEA, but
over partitions in the john most teachers will confess to believing that
parental concern may be the reason for the kids' positive outcome.

Sometimes it's the village idiot who wants to raise your kids, what?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...
Sounds like a good idea to me. Your child is more important than anything
else in the world. If it takes a $500 fine to get the parents to be
responsible then so be it.

wrote in message
ps.com...
Only the Texas GOP could produce such a ****tard.

Parents Who Skip School Meetings Could Be Fined

AUSTIN, Texas -- Parents bewa Miss a meeting with your child's
teacher
and it could cost you a $500 fine and a criminal record.

A Republican state lawmaker from Baytown has filed a bill that would
charge
parents of public school students with a misdemeanor and fine them for
playing hooky from a scheduled parent-teacher conference.

Rep. Wayne Smith said Wednesday he wants to get parents involved in
their
child's education.

"I think it helps the kids for the parents and teachers to
communicate.
That's all the intent was," Smith said.

Leon, I'm sorry but your credibility just nosed dived here.

This is SO beyond anything close to an acceptable answer that it's
laughable.
You really think that good parenting, like morals, can be legislated? Wake
up.

People that habitually ignore the teacher will not give the meeting any
effort.
Attend or be fined? They'll show up and play cards or something.

The idea that a civil authority thought this was a real way to do something
useful for
children's education is nuts. He should be impeached.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Only the Texas GOP could produce such a ****tard.

Parents Who Skip School Meetings Could Be Fined

AUSTIN, Texas -- Parents bewa Miss a meeting with your child's
teacher
and it could cost you a $500 fine and a criminal record.

$500?? ... Hell, I'd put'em in jail for 30 days!

What on earth could be more important?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/27/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 11:05:07 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Barnett
wrote:

It's really sad that a LOT of parents view school as something akin to
sending raw materials into a factory. They just want to pick up a
finished part at the end, and they blame the school for the problems.

My wife sees this even in Pre-K (She's a teacher for kids with special
needs).

Trouble is that thanks to bussing kids all over Hell's half acre, some
parents can't _get_ to the frelling school. Poor people in the inner
city don't always have cars to drive to the suburban paradise that the
courts have decided is appropriate for schooling their kids, and the
school bus may be the _only_ bus that goes near there. Was the school
willing to send a bus to pick up the parent?

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Even? What do you think preschool was created for?
"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

My wife sees this even in Pre-K (She's a teacher for kids with special
needs).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

wrote in message
Only the Texas GOP could produce such a ****tard.

Parents Who Skip School Meetings Could Be Fined

AUSTIN, Texas -- Parents bewa Miss a meeting with your child's
teacher
and it could cost you a $500 fine and a criminal record.

$500?? ... Hell, I'd put'em in jail for 30 days!

What on earth could be more important?

Working the 2.5 minimum wage jobs required to pay the rent and put food
on the table perhaps... Outside of that or being in the hospital or
jail, not much...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Myxylplyk" wrote in message

Leon, I'm sorry but your credibility just nosed dived here.

This is SO beyond anything close to an acceptable answer that it's
laughable.
You really think that good parenting, like morals, can be legislated?
Wake up.

People that habitually ignore the teacher will not give the meeting any
effort.
Attend or be fined? They'll show up and play cards or something.

The idea that a civil authority thought this was a real way to do
something useful for
children's education is nuts. He should be impeached.

The schools simply want the parents involved and especially when the kid
gets into trouble.
You might as well **** your pants because you child has to go to school
also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

I can see where this may be a good idea. Particularly in schools that
are having "behavioral" problems with students whose parents are barely
older than the children the school is trying to educate. What is a school
to do when you have a discipline problem with a child and the parents
continually avoid meeting with the teacher? Since education is mandatory
and provided at taxpayer expense, there are some responsibilities that
parents should assume.

This is what the local news suggested that the law is being considered for.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George" wrote in message
t...

Yep, the ones who attend conferences are the parents of the kids whose
effort and results are generally the best. Can't say it publicly, or in
the lounge, which might be wired, because it's not the position of the
NEA, but over partitions in the john most teachers will confess to
believing that parental concern may be the reason for the kids' positive
outcome.

Sometimes it's the village idiot who wants to raise your kids, what?

The HS that my son graduated from had heavy parent involvement. At all of
the parent student meetings the principal an teachers preached that the
students that had parent involvement at the school were the ones that did
the best.
His graduation had 130 students of which half intended to go on to college.
His graduation class was awarded 1.5 million dollars in college scholastic
academic scholarships for those 65 students.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

Working the 2.5 minimum wage jobs required to pay the rent and put food
on the table perhaps... Outside of that or being in the hospital or
jail, not much...

Well the parents should have thought of that before neglecting their
children. You child is more important than any job or rent. Where there is
a will, there is a way. If the parent gets fined because he cannot attend
to his child's needs he needs to do better parenting at home so that the
child does not require a parent teacher meeting.
The parents are responsible for their children and the schools are not baby
sitters.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Trouble is that thanks to bussing kids all over Hell's half acre, some
parents can't _get_ to the frelling school. Poor people in the inner
city don't always have cars to drive to the suburban paradise that the
courts have decided is appropriate for schooling their kids, and the
school bus may be the _only_ bus that goes near there. Was the school
willing to send a bus to pick up the parent?

I agree that bussing is stupid but that a long buss trip for the parent is
simply one more lame excuse for not tending to your child's needs.
There is plenty of before hand warning of the consequences if a parent
misses a meeting. If it would present a hardship to attend a meeting for my
child's benefit I would see to it the my child understood what a hardship it
would be to attend a meeting far from home.
Its time to quit making excuses for not taking care of our children.

There are going to be a million other reasons this would be inconvenient for
the parents. My suggestion is to take steps to see to it that your child
stays out of trouble.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

Working the 2.5 minimum wage jobs required to pay the rent and put food
on the table perhaps... Outside of that or being in the hospital or
jail, not much...

Well the parents should have thought of that before neglecting their
children. You child is more important than any job or rent. Where there is
a will, there is a way. If the parent gets fined because he cannot attend
to his child's needs he needs to do better parenting at home so that the
child does not require a parent teacher meeting.
The parents are responsible for their children and the schools are not baby
sitters.

Well, one thing for sure, parents will not agree to meet with the
teacher, always with plenty of reason why they can't schedule the
meeting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

Working the 2.5 minimum wage jobs required to pay the rent and put food
on the table perhaps... Outside of that or being in the hospital or
jail, not much...

Well the parents should have thought of that before neglecting their
children. You child is more important than any job or rent. Where there is
a will, there is a way. If the parent gets fined because he cannot attend
to his child's needs he needs to do better parenting at home so that the
child does not require a parent teacher meeting.

The parents are responsible for their children

Nah, it's just those wacko conservatives that believe that...

and the schools are not baby
sitters.

Of course they are, it's just that the rich parents who can't be
bothered with parenthood can afford to send their kids to boarding
schools...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin K" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Well, one thing for sure, parents will not agree to meet with the teacher,
always with plenty of reason why they can't schedule the
meeting.

Yeah, and another thing is for sure also. If the parents start being fined,
99.9% of those excuses will start to disappear. The parents are going to
have the opportunity to schedule the meeting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

The parents are responsible for their children

Nah, it's just those wacko conservatives that believe that...

and the schools are not baby
sitters.

Of course they are, it's just that the rich parents who can't be
bothered with parenthood can afford to send their kids to boarding
schools...

Woah is me, is not an excuse as far as I am concerned.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Myxylplyk wrote:

You really think that good parenting, like morals, can be legislated?**Wake
up.

People that habitually ignore the teacher will not give the meeting any
effort.
Attend or be fined?**They'll*show*up*and*play*cards*or*somethin g.

He has a point, Leon. Sounds to me like that legislator's good intentions
went a bit awry.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
Myxylplyk wrote:

You really think that good parenting, like morals, can be legislated? Wake
up.

People that habitually ignore the teacher will not give the meeting any
effort.
Attend or be fined? They'll show up and play cards or something.

He has a point, Leon. Sounds to me like that legislator's good intentions
went a bit awry.

He is assuming a PTA or PTO meeting for a crowd. The proposal is more for
one on one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Myxylplyk wrote:

You really think that good parenting, like morals, can be legislated? Wake
up.

People that habitually ignore the teacher will not give the meeting any
effort.
Attend or be fined? They'll show up and play cards or something.

He has a point, Leon. Sounds to me like that legislator's good intentions
went a bit awry.

While you can't legislate morals or good parenting, we do have a loooong
history of punishing the bad of both ... just more of the same.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/27/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 09:30:29 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
.. .

Trouble is that thanks to bussing kids all over Hell's half acre, some
parents can't _get_ to the frelling school. Poor people in the inner
city don't always have cars to drive to the suburban paradise that the
courts have decided is appropriate for schooling their kids, and the
school bus may be the _only_ bus that goes near there. Was the school
willing to send a bus to pick up the parent?

I agree that bussing is stupid but that a long buss trip for the parent is
simply one more lame excuse for not tending to your child's needs.

If one can take a long bus trip there's no problem. The nearest bus
stop to any school around here is about 5 miles from the school. One
has to walk both ways if one doesn't have a car.

There is plenty of before hand warning of the consequences if a parent
misses a meeting. If it would present a hardship to attend a meeting for my
child's benefit I would see to it the my child understood what a hardship it
would be to attend a meeting far from home.
Its time to quit making excuses for not taking care of our children.

So how does someone with no car and limited income get to a school
that does not have a bus stop nearby?

There are going to be a million other reasons this would be inconvenient for
the parents. My suggestion is to take steps to see to it that your child
stays out of trouble.

Like what? When some bully punches your kid out and your kid is
accused by the bully and his friends of starting the fight, how can
anything you do prevent that?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 09:22:10 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

Working the 2.5 minimum wage jobs required to pay the rent and put food
on the table perhaps... Outside of that or being in the hospital or
jail, not much...

Well the parents should have thought of that before neglecting their
children. You child is more important than any job or rent.

If you can't pay the rent then you and your child get to live in a
cardboard box on a heating grate, if you're tough enough to chase some
other homeless person off the heating grate.

Sorry, but putting a roof over the kid's head is part of taking care
of the kid and failing to do so is neglecting the kid.

Where there is
a will, there is a way. If the parent gets fined because he cannot attend
to his child's needs he needs to do better parenting at home so that the
child does not require a parent teacher meeting.

If fining the parent means that he and the kid end up living in that
box then how have you helped the kid?

The parents are responsible for their children and the schools are not baby
sitters.

No, the schools are not baby sitters, they are surrogate parents--that
is what the doctrine of "in loco parentis" means.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Well, one thing for sure, parents will not agree to meet with the teacher,
always with plenty of reason why they can't schedule the
meeting.

Yeah, and another thing is for sure also. If the parents start being fined,
99.9% of those excuses will start to disappear. The parents are going to
have the opportunity to schedule the meeting.

Why do you consider it so important that the parent appear at a
"school meeting"? Are you a teacher or something?

Personally I think that any teacher that can't handle the kids without
parental meetings should be fir^Hned.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..

"Pete C." wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

Working the 2.5 minimum wage jobs required to pay the rent

and put food
on the table perhaps... Outside of that or being in the

hospital or
jail, not much...

You child is more important than any job or rent.

Tell that to Social Services when they come to take your kids
away because you got fired for taking time off to attend one of
these meetings, and you can afford to feed them any more.

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
news

If one can take a long bus trip there's no problem. The nearest bus
stop to any school around here is about 5 miles from the school. One
has to walk both ways if one doesn't have a car.

If you are truely interested in you child's welfare and don't want a $500
fine you will find a way to get there. Plain and simple.

So how does someone with no car and limited income get to a school
that does not have a bus stop nearby?

Come on THINK, the first thin that comes to mind is to ask for a freind or
neighbor for a ride.

There are going to be a million other reasons this would be inconvenient
for
the parents. My suggestion is to take steps to see to it that your child
stays out of trouble.

Like what? When some bully punches your kid out and your kid is
accused by the bully and his friends of starting the fight, how can
anything you do prevent that?

Were you one of those people that always needed some one else to solve your
problems.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Well, one thing for sure, parents will not agree to meet with the
teacher,
always with plenty of reason why they can't schedule the
meeting.

Yeah, and another thing is for sure also. If the parents start being
fined,
99.9% of those excuses will start to disappear. The parents are going to
have the opportunity to schedule the meeting.

Why do you consider it so important that the parent appear at a
"school meeting"? Are you a teacher or something?

More importantly a one on one with teacher and or principal. I am not a
teacher and believe that too many teachers are ineffective. If you fail to
see the revelance you are probably one of those people that always points
the finger.

Personally I think that any teacher that can't handle the kids without
parental meetings should be fir^Hned.

Where do you live, Dream land? What public school will let a teacher
actually discipline a child without fear of a law suite?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

If you can't pay the rent then you and your child get to live in a
cardboard box on a heating grate, if you're tough enough to chase some
other homeless person off the heating grate.

Sorry, but putting a roof over the kid's head is part of taking care
of the kid and failing to do so is neglecting the kid.

Parenting is more than multiplying. If you cannot afford or take care of
kids don't have them.

Where there is
a will, there is a way. If the parent gets fined because he cannot attend
to his child's needs he needs to do better parenting at home so that the
child does not require a parent teacher meeting.

If fining the parent means that he and the kid end up living in that
box then how have you helped the kid?

How many people do you personally know that live in a box because of a $500
fine?

The parents are responsible for their children and the schools are not
baby
sitters.

No, the schools are not baby sitters, they are surrogate parents--that
is what the doctrine of "in loco parentis" means.

That is what liberals believe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Len" wrote in message

You child is more important than any job or rent.

Tell that to Social Services when they come to take your kids
away because you got fired for taking time off to attend one of
these meetings, and you can afford to feed them any more.

Len

Has that happened to you? Don't make up a problem before it exists.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
My best buddy is a teacher in a disadvantaged district, and believe
me, people like you make his job easy. Less than 30% of the parents
that make appts. to see him show. That's right, less than 30%. The
students that need a parent/teacher/prinicpal conference are not his
star students, and he feels since their parents have sent them to the
school to be raised rather than taking that on themselves (hey... they
just pumped 'em out), the school should get a little help with the
kids. Most likely source in their unenlightened eyes are the
parents. Progress reports go unanswered; emails ignored; phone calls
are unreturned.

Nailshooter, you put that point a lot more eloquently than I did and with
a lot more good humor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

wrote in message
roups.com...
My best buddy is a teacher in a disadvantaged district, and believe
me, people like you make his job easy. Less than 30% of the parents
that make appts. to see him show. That's right, less than 30%. The
students that need a parent/teacher/prinicpal conference are not his
star students, and he feels since their parents have sent them to the
school to be raised rather than taking that on themselves (hey... they
just pumped 'em out), the school should get a little help with the
kids. Most likely source in their unenlightened eyes are the
parents. Progress reports go unanswered; emails ignored; phone calls
are unreturned.

Nailshooter, you put that point a lot more eloquently than I did and with
a lot more good humor.

And unfortunately those that he aimed that at will wonder what just went
flying way over their heads.
What is it with all the people that want some one else to take
responsibility for their kids?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

| Only the Texas GOP could produce such a ****tard.
|
| Parents Who Skip School Meetings Could Be Fined
|
| AUSTIN, Texas -- Parents bewa Miss a meeting with your child's
| teacher
| and it could cost you a $500 fine and a criminal record.
|
| A Republican state lawmaker from Baytown has filed a bill that would
| charge
| parents of public school students with a misdemeanor and fine them
| for playing hooky from a scheduled parent-teacher conference.
|
| Rep. Wayne Smith said Wednesday he wants to get parents involved in
| their
| child's education.
|
| "I think it helps the kids for the parents and teachers to
| communicate.
| That's all the intent was," Smith said.

Sounds as if the Texan educators are sufficiently technophobic that
they daren't punch up a phone number when they have something to say
to a parent. I'm glad that isn't so daunting to teachers everywhere.

Also sounds as if Rep. Smith hankers to appear important/powerful by
criminalizing and (perhaps further) economically handicapping those
who don't do what he thinks they should.

Since justice has to do with equity (hence the scales in Justice's
hand - along with the sword), it would be interesting to hear Rep.
Smith expound on the justice of his bill - and to establish that $500
is, in fact, a fair and reasonable valuation of the stood-up teacher's
time. Perhaps that valuation could be used, in turn, to arrive at a
new salary schedule for Texas teachers.

I'm not sure that I think much of that criminalization stuff, tho. But
then, perhaps the Texans - or the Texas Legislature - feels that they
really do need more citizens with criminal records. Presumably, a
person with a criminal record is easier to intimidate and control...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 18:16:54 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
news

If one can take a long bus trip there's no problem. The nearest bus
stop to any school around here is about 5 miles from the school. One
has to walk both ways if one doesn't have a car.

If you are truely interested in you child's welfare and don't want a $500
fine you will find a way to get there. Plain and simple.

How.

So how does someone with no car and limited income get to a school
that does not have a bus stop nearby?

Come on THINK, the first thin that comes to mind is to ask for a freind or
neighbor for a ride.

And why would any of them have cars?

There are going to be a million other reasons this would be inconvenient
for
the parents. My suggestion is to take steps to see to it that your child
stays out of trouble.

Like what? When some bully punches your kid out and your kid is
accused by the bully and his friends of starting the fight, how can
anything you do prevent that?

Were you one of those people that always needed some one else to solve your
problems.

If nobody needs anybody to solve their problems then why does the
teacher need the parent to solve her problems?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 18:21:08 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

.. .

Leon wrote:

Well, one thing for sure, parents will not agree to meet with the
teacher,
always with plenty of reason why they can't schedule the
meeting.

Yeah, and another thing is for sure also. If the parents start being
fined,
99.9% of those excuses will start to disappear. The parents are going to
have the opportunity to schedule the meeting.

Why do you consider it so important that the parent appear at a
"school meeting"? Are you a teacher or something?

More importantly a one on one with teacher and or principal. I am not a
teacher and believe that too many teachers are ineffective. If you fail to
see the revelance you are probably one of those people that always points
the finger.

I see, you've made two attempt now to make this about me.

Personally I think that any teacher that can't handle the kids without
parental meetings should be fir^Hned.

Where do you live, Dream land? What public school will let a teacher
actually discipline a child without fear of a law suite?

If that is what you see as the problem then you simply need to make it
lawful for teachers to discipline children without fear of a lawsuit
rather than fining parents for not kowtowing to teachers' demands that
they appear in a certain place at a certain time.

But you are actually introducing Constitutional issues here. By what
authority does a teacher have the power to order a parent to be in a
certain place at a certain time? Teachers are not police or judges,
they have no power to issue warrants. I suspect that the courts would
toss any such law in short order.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 18:24:29 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
.. .

If you can't pay the rent then you and your child get to live in a
cardboard box on a heating grate, if you're tough enough to chase some
other homeless person off the heating grate.

Sorry, but putting a roof over the kid's head is part of taking care
of the kid and failing to do so is neglecting the kid.

Parenting is more than multiplying. If you cannot afford or take care of
kids don't have them.

While I agree with this in principle, it is beside the point.

Where there is
a will, there is a way. If the parent gets fined because he cannot attend
to his child's needs he needs to do better parenting at home so that the
child does not require a parent teacher meeting.

If fining the parent means that he and the kid end up living in that
box then how have you helped the kid?

How many people do you personally know that live in a box because of a $500
fine?

I've never known anybody who had to pay a $500 fine for refusing to
kiss a teacher's butt.

The parents are responsible for their children and the schools are not
baby
sitters.

No, the schools are not baby sitters, they are surrogate parents--that
is what the doctrine of "in loco parentis" means.

That is what liberals believe.

No, that is what the _law_ believes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 18:25:17 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Len" wrote in message
.. .

You child is more important than any job or rent.

Tell that to Social Services when they come to take your kids
away because you got fired for taking time off to attend one of
these meetings, and you can afford to feed them any more.

Len

Has that happened to you? Don't make up a problem before it exists.

Leon, you simply are not in touch with reality. I'll wager that you
have a high income and/or no kids.

Company fined $3m for adware use EricP UK diy 3 November 8th 06 03:20 AM
format for wood turning club meetings william kossack Woodturning 9 March 14th 06 09:24 PM
London meetings kameliago UK diy 6 October 18th 05 11:27 AM
Fined for taking a leak.... Phil UK diy 27 July 30th 05 03:33 PM