Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

wrote:

| Only the Texas GOP could produce such a ****tard.
|
| Parents Who Skip School Meetings Could Be Fined
|
| AUSTIN, Texas -- Parents bewa Miss a meeting with your child's
| teacher
| and it could cost you a $500 fine and a criminal record.
|
| A Republican state lawmaker from Baytown has filed a bill that would
| charge
| parents of public school students with a misdemeanor and fine them
| for playing hooky from a scheduled parent-teacher conference.
|
| Rep. Wayne Smith said Wednesday he wants to get parents involved in
| their
| child's education.
|
| "I think it helps the kids for the parents and teachers to
| communicate.
| That's all the intent was," Smith said.

Sounds as if the Texan educators are sufficiently technophobic that
they daren't punch up a phone number when they have something to say
to a parent. I'm glad that isn't so daunting to teachers everywhere.

Also sounds as if Rep. Smith hankers to appear important/powerful by
criminalizing and (perhaps further) economically handicapping those
who don't do what he thinks they should.

Since justice has to do with equity (hence the scales in Justice's
hand - along with the sword), it would be interesting to hear Rep.
Smith expound on the justice of his bill - and to establish that $500
is, in fact, a fair and reasonable valuation of the stood-up teacher's
time. Perhaps that valuation could be used, in turn, to arrive at a
new salary schedule for Texas teachers.

I'm not sure that I think much of that criminalization stuff, tho. But
then, perhaps the Texans - or the Texas Legislature - feels that they
really do need more citizens with criminal records. Presumably, a
person with a criminal record is easier to intimidate and control...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar