Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
william kossack

Default format for wood turning club meetings

Our local woodturning club has a continual debate on meeting format.

Each meeting has lots of business to conduct including club bulk orders,
wood raffles, turning challange and general information. This leaves
maybe an hour and a half for a demo.

What meeting format do other clubs use?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"william kossack" wrote in message
news
Our local woodturning club has a continual debate on meeting format.

Each meeting has lots of business to conduct including club bulk orders,
wood raffles, turning challange and general information. This leaves
maybe an hour and a half for a demo.

What meeting format do other clubs use?

Depends on whether it's a business meeting or a demo meeting, I suppose.
Limit or eliminate the opposite.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
David Wade

William,

Our meetings have everything at one meeting. They are also being
extended 30 minutes to allow for more than a 45-minute demo. On a good
day we may be able to get an hour and a half. Mind you, this is usually
a club member demo. Professional demos are usually dedicated sessions on
a Saturday, occassionally a Friday night.

We meet on a thursday night at a senior center and must be out by 9PM.
The start time has been moved up to 6:30. The target is to have the
business and announcements done by 6:50 and the demo underway until a
little after 8:00, 8:15 at the latest. The rest of the meeting is the
challenge, show and tell, raffle, clean up, and getting out of there.

David

william kossack wrote:
Our local woodturning club has a continual debate on meeting format.

Each meeting has lots of business to conduct including club bulk orders,
wood raffles, turning challange and general information. This leaves
maybe an hour and a half for a demo.

What meeting format do other clubs use?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bill
Yes never enough time, but some of those things can be done in a
different way, for instance, the selling of products by members could
be advertised in the monthly news letter and with phone numbers and/or
order forms for the products and amount wanted, then it can be handled
quicker before or after the meeting, also club bulk purchase, outline
the products and possible price, also with a phone number or order
form, so as to take up the least amount of meeting time, our
raffle/ticket sales are done during the break, and yes time flies when
you're having fun.

Let us know what the outcome is going to be, I think all clubs have
those problems, and it could help us all.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:01:05 -0700, william kossack
wrote:

Our local woodturning club has a continual debate on meeting format.

Each meeting has lots of business to conduct including club bulk orders,
wood raffles, turning challange and general information. This leaves
maybe an hour and a half for a demo.

What meeting format do other clubs use?

here's our format, after one whole meeting of our local group that I attended...
lol

They started with announcements of upcoming events and who/where/how much for
tickets, hotel, etc..

next was show and tell.. probably 30 to 40 min. there..

followed by a 45 min demo

meeting "officially" ended and auction begun, along with more coffee brought in
and what I gathered was the "unofficial" meeting begun..

Note: after consideration, I like the "2nd" meeting... lets people know that
they can BS later and lowers the background noise and OT discussions during the
meeting...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

wrote:

Our local woodturning club has a continual debate on meeting format.

Each meeting has lots of business to conduct including club bulk orders,
wood raffles, turning challange and general information. This leaves
maybe an hour and a half for a demo.

What meeting format do other clubs use?

That sounds very much like ours.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Pretty much the same at Glendale Woodturners Guild, except we meet at
2pm, goes to 4pm on one Sunday per month, with about 30-45 minutes for
a demo by another member.
Pro demos are done on one or sometimes two Saturdays per month, some
for 2-3 hours and some for 6-7 hours with a lunch in the middle.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

wrote in message
ups.com...
Pretty much the same at Glendale Woodturners Guild, except we meet at
2pm, goes to 4pm on one Sunday per month, with about 30-45 minutes for
a demo by another member.
Pro demos are done on one or sometimes two Saturdays per month, some
for 2-3 hours and some for 6-7 hours with a lunch in the middle.

Satisfies the by-laws if you use different names, too. Robert's Rules allow
for limits in business meetings on comment and new business, but if it's not
a "business" meeting....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alan

We have about 200 members and about half make it along to the main
Saturday each month. There are also two midweek turning days and one
evening per month.
On the Saturday, there is a theme and usually 4 to 6 members
demonstrate from around 9am. A meeting takes place for 30 to 45
minutes mid morning, then more turning. After lunch it is Show and
Tell time followed by more turning and the departure of members. The
cleaning up is usually over around 3 to 3:30pm.
Any "professional" demonstrators appear on another day so as not to
disrupt the major Saturday meeting.

Safe turning,
Alan