Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sawstop demo on TV

At the risk of reopening an old thread, some people might be interested
in knowing that a recent episode of Ask This Old House had a
demonstration of the saw. It was part of a saw safety presentation by
Tom Silva.
John

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Feb 1, 4:36 pm, John Siegel wrote:
At the risk of reopening an old thread, some people might be interested
in knowing that a recent episode of Ask This Old House had a
demonstration of the saw. It was part of a saw safety presentation by
Tom Silva.
John

Did they do the hot dog test??? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"tom" wrote in news:1170379862.298180.154290
@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

On Feb 1, 4:36 pm, John Siegel wrote:
At the risk of reopening an old thread, some people might be interested
in knowing that a recent episode of Ask This Old House had a
demonstration of the saw. It was part of a saw safety presentation by
Tom Silva.
John

Did they do the hot dog test??? Tom

yes they did - they showed there was not a nick on the dog, but it didn't
look as dry as finger would be after a day of sawdust ...
And they didn't try a such a dry finger ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 1, 8:36 pm, Han wrote:
"tom" wrote in news:1170379862.298180.154290
@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

On Feb 1, 4:36 pm, John Siegel wrote:
At the risk of reopening an old thread, some people might be interested
in knowing that a recent episode of Ask This Old House had a
demonstration of the saw. It was part of a saw safety presentation by
Tom Silva.
John

Did they do the hot dog test??? Tom

yes they did - they showed there was not a nick on the dog, but it didn't
look as dry as finger would be after a day of sawdust ...
And they didn't try a such a dry finger ...

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Don't ruin it for me I won't get that episode until this weekend.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1 Feb 2007 17:42:52 -0800, "RayV" wrote:

On Feb 1, 8:36 pm, Han wrote:
"tom" wrote in news:1170379862.298180.154290
@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

On Feb 1, 4:36 pm, John Siegel wrote:
At the risk of reopening an old thread, some people might be interested
in knowing that a recent episode of Ask This Old House had a
demonstration of the saw. It was part of a saw safety presentation by
Tom Silva.
John

Did they do the hot dog test??? Tom

yes they did - they showed there was not a nick on the dog, but it didn't
look as dry as finger would be after a day of sawdust ...
And they didn't try a such a dry finger ...

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Don't ruin it for me I won't get that episode until this weekend.

spoiler space..............
..
..
..
..
The hot dog doesn't get cut through.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 00:36:46 GMT, John Siegel
wrote:

At the risk of reopening an old thread, some people might be interested
in knowing that a recent episode of Ask This Old House had a
demonstration of the saw. It was part of a saw safety presentation by
Tom Silva.
John

Just once I wanna see a guy/gal put their finger into a running blade
- now *thats* a test!

We already know your red hot won't be harmed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

George Max wrote:
SNIP

Just once I wanna see a guy/gal put their finger into a running blade
- now *thats* a test!

I'm waiting to see the true test of confidence, putting his OWN weiner
on the line!

;-)
Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Glen" wrote in message
I'm waiting to see the true test of confidence, putting his OWN weiner
on the line!

If his wiener is long enough to reach the blade, he's already confident!

Posted to rec.woodworking

George Max wrote:

Just once I wanna see a guy/gal put their finger into a running blade
- now *thats* a test!**

Well, it happened in a class at the local Woodcraft store. A student reached
over the blade to knock off a wood scrap and didn't raise her hand high
enough on the way back. Needed a bandaid.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

At the risk of reopening an old thread, some people might be interested
in knowing that a recent episode of Ask This Old House had a
demonstration of the saw. It was part of a saw safety presentation by
Tom Silva.
John

Just once I wanna see a guy/gal put their finger into a running blade
- now *thats* a test!

It has been done already.

Posted to rec.woodworking

oups.com...
George Max wrote:
Just once I wanna see a guy/gal put their finger into a running blade
- now *thats* a test!

Well, it happened in a class at the local Woodcraft store. A student
reached
over the blade to knock off a wood scrap and didn't raise her hand high
enough on the way back. Needed a bandaid.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

No blade guards?

If scraps are short enough a blade guard can create the same effect as a rip
fence and cause a pretty serious kick back if the piece gets trapped between
the blade and the inside side of the guard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 17:36:34 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

At the risk of reopening an old thread, some people might be interested
in knowing that a recent episode of Ask This Old House had a
demonstration of the saw. It was part of a saw safety presentation by
Tom Silva.
John

Just once I wanna see a guy/gal put their finger into a running blade
- now *thats* a test!

It has been done already.

but was it filmed?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
At the risk of reopening an old thread, some people might be interested
in knowing that a recent episode of Ask This Old House had a
demonstration of the saw. It was part of a saw safety presentation by
Tom Silva.
John

Just once I wanna see a guy/gal put their finger into a running blade
- now *thats* a test!

Nah, a REAL test would by a guy putting HIS wiener on the blade...

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George Max" wrote in message

Just once I wanna see a guy/gal put their finger into a running blade
- now *thats* a test!

It has been done already.

but was it filmed?

I don't know, did you witness the signing of the declaration of
independence? If you are going in the direction of if YOU did not see it
happen you don't believe it,,,,,

Posted to rec.woodworking
O D O D is offline

Is the saw stop worth the $4,000 if the company is no longer in
business? Say 5 years from now, this guy cannot stay in business, is
this saw worth the money you paid for it and equal to say a laguna. Now
I was not able to get an answer from saw stop via e-mail on the motor
frame size. I asked if it was OEM or had a nema frame size. It would be
very helpful if it was a nema size.
Now I understand , or at least I think I understand why other mfg. co.
did not sign up for this licence. The bottom line just went up 8% but
the info to saw stop would be how MANY saws mfg A sold and how many mfg
B sold . Just think how much that INFO would be worth to another
company. So the biggest concern right now is WILL they be around in 5yrs
or will I have an expensive grizzly ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"O D" wrote in message
Is the saw stop worth the $4,000 if the company is no longer in
business? Say 5 years from now, this guy cannot stay in business, is
this saw worth the money you paid for it and equal to say a laguna.

The way businesses are bought and sold, what makes you think any of the
major tool manufacturers will be the same in five years? Just take a look
at DeWalt, Delta, Porter Cable, etc. Better think twice about buying a Ford
or Chevy too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 05:24:56 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"O D" wrote in message
Is the saw stop worth the $4,000 if the company is no longer in
business? Say 5 years from now, this guy cannot stay in business, is
this saw worth the money you paid for it and equal to say a laguna.

The way businesses are bought and sold, what makes you think any of the
major tool manufacturers will be the same in five years? Just take a look
at DeWalt, Delta, Porter Cable, etc. Better think twice about buying a Ford
or Chevy too.

The real question with Sawstop is how hard it is to hack the thing to
run without the cartridge if five years down the road you fire your
last one and Sawstop or their heirs or assigns is no longer able to
provide you a replacement.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Glen" wrote in message
I'm waiting to see the true test of confidence, putting his OWN weiner
on the line!

If his wiener is long enough to reach the blade, he's already confident!

Yours isn't, damn.

;-)
Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

The real question with Sawstop is how hard it is to hack the thing to
run without the cartridge if five years down the road you fire your
last one and Sawstop or their heirs or assigns is no longer able to
provide you a replacement.

Very easy to hack or just bypass. There are printed instructions in the
owners manual that tell you how to bypass the safety feature if you want to
cut metal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 1, 7:36 pm, John Siegel wrote:
At the risk of reopening an old thread, some people might be interested
in knowing that a recent episode of Ask This Old House had a
demonstration of the saw. It was part of a saw safety presentation by
Tom Silva.
John

Saw this episode over the weekend. I have seen the SS videos on the
web before so no big deal. The part I found amazing was the way Tommy
placed his hands while demoing the saw. Seemed like he had a lot of
confidence it would work as advertised.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 04:32:35 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"George Max" wrote in message
.. .

Just once I wanna see a guy/gal put their finger into a running blade
- now *thats* a test!

It has been done already.

but was it filmed?

I don't know, did you witness the signing of the declaration of
independence? If you are going in the direction of if YOU did not see it
happen you don't believe it,,,,,

I wasn't going there at all.

And I don't wanna go the other place either. I like the gadget, I
*don't * like the method the inventor is trying to use to get the
device in everyones saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 3, 10:39 pm, (O D) wrote:
Is the saw stop worth the $4,000 if the company is no longer in
business? Say 5 years from now, this guy cannot stay in business, is
this saw worth the money you paid for it and equal to say a laguna. Now
I was not able to get an answer from saw stop via e-mail on the motor
frame size. I asked if it was OEM or had a nema frame size. It would be
very helpful if it was a nema size.
Now I understand , or at least I think I understand why other mfg. co.
did not sign up for this licence. The bottom line just went up 8% but
the info to saw stop would be how MANY saws mfg A sold and how many mfg
B sold . Just think how much that INFO would be worth to another
company. So the biggest concern right now is WILL they be around in 5yrs
or will I have an expensive grizzly ?

You're NOT going to have an expensive grizzly, your going to have a
cabinet saw that is better than a Unisaw, a 66, a PM 2000, or any
clone of said machine. I cannot speak to a Laguna, Hammer or similar
as I haven't used any of them. The Sawstop is simply the best
conventional cabinet saw on the market even if it doesn't stop.

With the #'s of SawStops already in institutional shops I think
SOMEBODY will continue to sell the brakes even if SS went under.
(Which i don't think they'll do) Mr. Gass has gotten a lot of
criticism for his tactics, but personally heard his story and I'm
convinced that his initial motivation was making a safer saw. Even if
the competition buys them out (I can see this happening) I don't think
they'll let it happen without continuing support for units already in
the field.

If one needed to "hack" the thing, I would think you could simply wire
the motor to a magnetic contactor which is connected to a low voltage
starter switch, just like any "conventional" saw.

I wouldn't want to be the responsible party if somebody tangled with
THAT tablesaw.

-Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 1, 6:36 pm, John Siegel wrote:
At the risk of reopening an old thread, some people might be interested
in knowing that a recent episode of Ask This Old House had a
demonstration of the saw. It was part of a saw safety presentation by
Tom Silva.
John

One of my local tool stores, Puckett Tools, has a SawStop on the
floor. And I saw a flyer on the saw saying every month they gave
demos of the brake causing the blade to stop. Of course they also had
the prior welded together brakes/blades on top of the table to view.
My metro area is about 400,000 so I would suspect similarly sized
cities would have SawStops to see in person. Or make a trip to a big
town near you or stop when going through one on a vacation. They are
not difficult to find if you have an interest.