Posted to rec.woodworking
MNFabLab MNFabLab is offline

Default Sawstop demo on TV

On Feb 3, 10:39 pm, (O D) wrote:
Is the saw stop worth the $4,000 if the company is no longer in
business? Say 5 years from now, this guy cannot stay in business, is
this saw worth the money you paid for it and equal to say a laguna. Now
I was not able to get an answer from saw stop via e-mail on the motor
frame size. I asked if it was OEM or had a nema frame size. It would be
very helpful if it was a nema size.
Now I understand , or at least I think I understand why other mfg. co.
did not sign up for this licence. The bottom line just went up 8% but
the info to saw stop would be how MANY saws mfg A sold and how many mfg
B sold . Just think how much that INFO would be worth to another
company. So the biggest concern right now is WILL they be around in 5yrs
or will I have an expensive grizzly ?

You're NOT going to have an expensive grizzly, your going to have a
cabinet saw that is better than a Unisaw, a 66, a PM 2000, or any
clone of said machine. I cannot speak to a Laguna, Hammer or similar
as I haven't used any of them. The Sawstop is simply the best
conventional cabinet saw on the market even if it doesn't stop.

With the #'s of SawStops already in institutional shops I think
SOMEBODY will continue to sell the brakes even if SS went under.
(Which i don't think they'll do) Mr. Gass has gotten a lot of
criticism for his tactics, but personally heard his story and I'm
convinced that his initial motivation was making a safer saw. Even if
the competition buys them out (I can see this happening) I don't think
they'll let it happen without continuing support for units already in
the field.

If one needed to "hack" the thing, I would think you could simply wire
the motor to a magnetic contactor which is connected to a low voltage
starter switch, just like any "conventional" saw.

I wouldn't want to be the responsible party if somebody tangled with
THAT tablesaw.

-Kevin