Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Old Sears gadget for turning spirals with router

Some years ago Sears used to market a device for turning spirals on
legs. I am sure it had other uses as well. It was a bed with some
sort of mount above for seating a router. It had a crank on the end
and I believe was wire driven. You could turn the crank while running
your router and do spiral work quite easily. I am looking to buy one
but need to know what they are called first.

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bleau wrote:
Some years ago Sears used to market a device for turning spirals on
legs. I am sure it had other uses as well. It was a bed with some
sort of mount above for seating a router. It had a crank on the end
and I believe was wire driven. You could turn the crank while running
your router and do spiral work quite easily. I am looking to buy one
but need to know what they are called first.

Joe

Router crafter .. .. .. surprisingly, they are selling in new or
like-new condition on e-Bay for $175-$250
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Got one, never used it. A friend had one but needed space in his basement so
gave it to me. So now I just store it in case I find a need for it.

"__ Bob __" wrote in message
Joe Bleau wrote:
Some years ago Sears used to market a device for turning spirals on
legs. I am sure it had other uses as well. It was a bed with some
sort of mount above for seating a router. It had a crank on the end
and I believe was wire driven. You could turn the crank while running
your router and do spiral work quite easily. I am looking to buy one
but need to know what they are called first.

Joe

Router crafter .. .. .. surprisingly, they are selling in new or like-new
condition on e-Bay for $175-$250

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:33:55 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

Mon, Jan 29, 2007, 11:52pm
(Joe*Bleau) doth
sayeth:
Some years ago Sears used to market a device for turning spirals on
legs. snip

I'm not interested in one myself, but last time I looked in a Sears
catalog, or maybe it was last time I was in a Sears, they still carried
them. Admitted that was quite a bit back, but I'm wondering if anyone
has checked to see if they still carry them.

However, somewhere, I have seen, or have, plans to make a jig that
will do the same. Somewhere I've got plans for a jig for routing flutes
too, but something like that would be a lot easier to figure out. So
some googling might come up with plans so you can make one - be a lot
more flexible in use than a store-bought one, and you could paint it any
color you wanted - I recommend yellow.. .

Looked for one a while back--not on the Sears site or in the Sears
store or in the Sears catalog--it's an ex-product.

Legacy makes a number of ornamental mills that are somewhat upmarket
but serve a similar function http://www.legacywoodworking.com/ and
there's a cheap clone
http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=169889.

The Craftsman was a relabelled Trend Routerlathe or some ancestor
thereof http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/routerlathe/ but it appears
to have been discontinued. The manual is available for download from
Trend and they claim that they still stock all spares.

Here's a description of a big one that someone built for his own
use--no plans though
http://www.castlesimon.com/Projects/OrnamentalMill/tabid/56/Default.aspx.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0762101857 contains plans for
a shop made spiral turning jig.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:52:48 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

Got one, never used it. A friend had one but needed space in his basement so
gave it to me. So now I just store it in case I find a need for it.

I can not find one on eBay. Interested in selling yours?

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've got one of these.
It was given to me by a co-worker. I've never used it. I'm not even sure
that it's all there, but if you want it contact me off the newsgroup and
we'll arrange something.

--
Charley

wrote:

Got one, never used it. A friend had one but needed space in his basement

so
gave it to me. So now I just store it in case I find a need for it.

I can not find one on eBay. Interested in selling yours?

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you don't get something worked out here, contact me, I have one that
hasn't been used much with instructions I might part with. I hate to think
about boxing it up to ship.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at verizon dot net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bleau wrote:

I can not find one on eBay. Interested in selling yours?

Joe

You couldn't find one on eBay? There's four of them being auctioned
now. Search for "router crafter".

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...tSearch=Search

--
Jack Novak