Posted to rec.woodworking

Default magnetic nail holder

was watch one of the how-to-show's the other day and saw a round tube
nail holder with a red rubber handle, can't remember if it was ask this
old house or Ron Hazelton show, but I can't find them anywhere has
anyone seen them anywhere? had a small u cut in end with a magnetic in
the tube.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sun, Jan 28, 2007, 11:07am (EST-1) (Doug*Brown)
doth queryeth:
Was it something like this?
http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=478154

Hah, that's kinda slick. Be easy enough to make one too. Stick a
small magnet in a tube, crimp the tube, or use gule, knotch the end of
te tube. Viola, nail holder. Of course, then you'd have one more
little gadget invented to solve a non problem to keep track of whenever
you want to use it. OR, you could just cut a little slit in the end of
a piece of scrap wood, just large enough to hold your nail, for free;
and, you won't need to worry about misplacingt it. A piece of tape,
looped, with the sticky out, works too. Me, I'd probably just hold the
nail with my fingers, and just tap to get it started, not hard enough to
hurt if I missed - I can usually find my fingers when I need 'em.

JOAT
Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
looped, with the sticky out, works too. Me, I'd probably just hold the
nail with my fingers, and just tap to get it started, not hard enough to
hurt if I missed - I can usually find my fingers when I need 'em.

It could be a really useful tool for people with slightly unsteady hand
motion when swinging the hammer. I taught leathercraft at a local hospital
and experienced quite a few hits on the hand with the hammer when working
with quadriplegics. Fortunately, most of them didn't have sufficient arm
power to build up a really heavy swing of the wooden hammer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Looks like a neat idea. Where I have the most trouble is with small
brads. (Yes I do sometimes still drive them by hand) I can't hold
them between my thumb & finger with enough left above to avoid hitting
thumb with hammer. I've often used a needlenose pliers to hold them
while starting but this gizmo looks like a better idea. Think I'll
make my own rather than purchase, though.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry" wrote in message
Looks like a neat idea. Where I have the most trouble is with small
brads. (Yes I do sometimes still drive them by hand) I can't hold
them between my thumb & finger with enough left above to avoid hitting
thumb with hammer. I've often used a needlenose pliers to hold them
while starting but this gizmo looks like a better idea. Think I'll
make my own rather than purchase, though.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org

This sounds like a job for:
http://www.bostonindustrial.com/35mataha.html
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:21:33 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"J T" wrote in message
looped, with the sticky out, works too. Me, I'd probably just hold the
nail with my fingers, and just tap to get it started, not hard enough to
hurt if I missed - I can usually find my fingers when I need 'em.

It could be a really useful tool for people with slightly unsteady hand
motion when swinging the hammer. I taught leathercraft at a local hospital
and experienced quite a few hits on the hand with the hammer when working
with quadriplegics. Fortunately, most of them didn't have sufficient arm
power to build up a really heavy swing of the wooden hammer.

Vacuum works best IMO. Small tube with a similar to the one with the magnet but with
elongated slit (flatten the tube slightly for a elongated hole and more suck) inside
surgical hose attached to a vacuum device.
Much better than a magnet because it will only pick up one nail at a time.
I invented and used such a device back when I was making doll furniture years ago.
I could just stick it in the box of nails and suck up a single nail.
I had a couple different tubes for different brads. Worked great for furniture tacks
as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

Why it worked so well with furniture tacks is because the slot in the tube would not
allow it enough vacuum to pick up the tack by anything but the shaft and magnets
don't work so good with brass tacks. g
Try it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Two things work well for small brads. A Warrington hammer is designed for
those situations. Also, a brad pusher works well.

"Larry" wrote in message
Looks like a neat idea. Where I have the most trouble is with small
brads. (Yes I do sometimes still drive them by hand) I can't hold
them between my thumb & finger with enough left above to avoid hitting
thumb with hammer. I've often used a needlenose pliers to hold them
while starting but this gizmo looks like a better idea. Think I'll
make my own rather than purchase, though.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Vacuum works best IMO. Small tube with a similar to the one with the
magnet but with
elongated slit (flatten the tube slightly for a elongated hole and more
suck) inside
surgical hose attached to a vacuum device.
Much better than a magnet because it will only pick up one nail at a time.
I invented and used such a device back when I was making doll furniture
years ago.
I could just stick it in the box of nails and suck up a single nail.
I had a couple different tubes for different brads. Worked great for
furniture tacks
as well.

I've filed your good idea. Thanks.

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 04:45:10 GMT, "Mark Jerde" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Vacuum works best IMO. Small tube with a similar to the one with the
magnet but with
elongated slit (flatten the tube slightly for a elongated hole and more
suck) inside
surgical hose attached to a vacuum device.
Much better than a magnet because it will only pick up one nail at a time.
I invented and used such a device back when I was making doll furniture
years ago.
I could just stick it in the box of nails and suck up a single nail.
I had a couple different tubes for different brads. Worked great for
furniture tacks
as well.

I've filed your good idea. Thanks.

It worked very well for me. The trick is careful shaping of the tube end so the nails
slip into the slot easily. I made them out of both copper and aluminum.
If you're using brass escutcheon pins (those 1/2 little buggers are a bitch to
handle) vacuum is the ONLY way to work

I used a vacuum device that I bought from a friend in the TV repair business. I can't
recall what it was called but it was powerful and reasonably quiet and resided on the
floor with a foot switch.
I'm sure one of the many mini vacs sold for computers would work but I have no need
for one. All my brad nailing is done with air nailers now and I don't use the
decorative furniture tacks any more.