Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] jimmy@the.shoppe is offline

Default magnetic nail holder

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 04:45:10 GMT, "Mark Jerde" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Vacuum works best IMO. Small tube with a similar to the one with the
magnet but with
elongated slit (flatten the tube slightly for a elongated hole and more
suck) inside
surgical hose attached to a vacuum device.
Much better than a magnet because it will only pick up one nail at a time.
I invented and used such a device back when I was making doll furniture
years ago.
I could just stick it in the box of nails and suck up a single nail.
I had a couple different tubes for different brads. Worked great for
furniture tacks
as well.

I've filed your good idea. Thanks.

It worked very well for me. The trick is careful shaping of the tube end so the nails
slip into the slot easily. I made them out of both copper and aluminum.
If you're using brass escutcheon pins (those 1/2 little buggers are a bitch to
handle) vacuum is the ONLY way to work

I used a vacuum device that I bought from a friend in the TV repair business. I can't
recall what it was called but it was powerful and reasonably quiet and resided on the
floor with a foot switch.
I'm sure one of the many mini vacs sold for computers would work but I have no need
for one. All my brad nailing is done with air nailers now and I don't use the
decorative furniture tacks any more.