Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] jimmy@the.shoppe is offline

Default magnetic nail holder

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:21:33 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"J T" wrote in message
looped, with the sticky out, works too. Me, I'd probably just hold the
nail with my fingers, and just tap to get it started, not hard enough to
hurt if I missed - I can usually find my fingers when I need 'em.

It could be a really useful tool for people with slightly unsteady hand
motion when swinging the hammer. I taught leathercraft at a local hospital
and experienced quite a few hits on the hand with the hammer when working
with quadriplegics. Fortunately, most of them didn't have sufficient arm
power to build up a really heavy swing of the wooden hammer.

Vacuum works best IMO. Small tube with a similar to the one with the magnet but with
elongated slit (flatten the tube slightly for a elongated hole and more suck) inside
surgical hose attached to a vacuum device.
Much better than a magnet because it will only pick up one nail at a time.
I invented and used such a device back when I was making doll furniture years ago.
I could just stick it in the box of nails and suck up a single nail.
I had a couple different tubes for different brads. Worked great for furniture tacks
as well.