Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Projects for scraps

I want to glue together, (butcher block like), my scraps into useable small
planks. I thought this would be a good way to whittle down my overflowing
scrap bin and do make something nice at the same time. I could do a few
planks each evening to pass the time. General I keep pieces that are no
smaller then 2" x 6"
- I have a 12" planer, 6" jointer so whatever the glued up piece is I can
make good working edges and surfaces.
- Is there a process or guide on going about this? Are pieces cut to
uniform sizes first (most scraps are glueable as is).
- What are some good projects that can be made from the resulting small
glued up planks?
- The vast majority of the scraps are red oak so cutting boards are out.

Any thoughts to offer?
thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

trs80 wrote:
I want to glue together, (butcher block like), my scraps into useable small
planks. I thought this would be a good way to whittle down my overflowing
scrap bin and do make something nice at the same time. I could do a few
planks each evening to pass the time. General I keep pieces that are no
smaller then 2" x 6"
- I have a 12" planer, 6" jointer so whatever the glued up piece is I can
make good working edges and surfaces.
- Is there a process or guide on going about this? Are pieces cut to
uniform sizes first (most scraps are glueable as is).
- What are some good projects that can be made from the resulting small
glued up planks?

I made a flower stand with scraps glued together.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:18:26 GMT, "trs80" wrote:

I want to glue together, (butcher block like), my scraps into useable small
planks. I thought this would be a good way to whittle down my overflowing
scrap bin and do make something nice at the same time. I could do a few
planks each evening to pass the time. General I keep pieces that are no
smaller then 2" x 6"
- I have a 12" planer, 6" jointer so whatever the glued up piece is I can
make good working edges and surfaces.
- Is there a process or guide on going about this? Are pieces cut to
uniform sizes first (most scraps are glueable as is).
- What are some good projects that can be made from the resulting small
glued up planks?
- The vast majority of the scraps are red oak so cutting boards are out.

Any thoughts to offer?
thanks!

I don't know about gluing up scraps into planks, but there are two
time-honored ways of dealing with scrap in my shop- chessboards, if I
feel like doing flatwork, and segemented turning blanks, if I feel
like doing something on the lathe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

good tips. thanks
"Prometheus" wrote in message
[...]

Making Gold Solder from Scraps Heather Coleman Metalworking 8 June 30th 17 01:18 PM
Mesquite scraps todd Woodworking 10 June 15th 06 07:32 AM
making holdfasts, wonderdogs, ww and leg vises w/ scraps bent Woodworking 5 March 28th 06 04:18 AM
Help me I save scraps and can't get up or stop [email protected] Woodworking 8 September 26th 05 06:40 AM
Excess T&G Hickory Flooring scraps as a table top? Never Enough Money Woodworking 5 June 11th 05 04:40 AM