Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default Mesquite scraps

I recently finished laying a mesquite floor here in the western suburbs of
Chicago. (In fact, they're downstairs sanding as I type this.) As such, I
have a quantity of scraps that I was going to throw out. Before I do, I
thought I would just ask if anyone might want them. I don't know if they'd
be good for smoking meat, but I thought I'd just ask before discarding them
since it's not a wood we see much of up here.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"todd" wrote in message

...I don't know if they'd
be good for smoking meat, but I thought I'd just ask before discarding

them
since it's not a wood we see much of up here.

Next to pecan, my favorite smoking wood. It they're not contaminated with
finish, soak in water and use some on top of your coals the next time you
"throw a steak/shrimp on the barbie".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Swingman wrote:

Next to pecan, my favorite smoking wood. It they're not contaminated with
finish, soak in water and use some on top of your coals the next time you
"throw a steak/shrimp on the barbie".

Heh. "Shrimp on the barbie" makes me smirk when Australians say it.
When I hear an American use it I want to laugh right out loud.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

I'll triple cooking with Mesquite if they are too small to be useful. Thin
Mesquite would make excellent
inlay or highlight material also.

"todd" wrote in message
I recently finished laying a mesquite floor here in the western suburbs of
Chicago. (In fact, they're downstairs sanding as I type this.) As such, I
have a quantity of scraps that I was going to throw out. Before I do, I
thought I would just ask if anyone might want them. I don't know if they'd
be good for smoking meat, but I thought I'd just ask before discarding them
since it's not a wood we see much of up here.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Jay Pique" wrote in message

Swingman wrote:

Next to pecan, my favorite smoking wood. It they're not contaminated

with
finish, soak in water and use some on top of your coals the next time

you
"throw a steak/shrimp on the barbie".

Heh. "Shrimp on the barbie" makes me smirk when Australians say it.
When I hear an American use it I want to laugh right out loud.

Go ahead ... folks who haven't traveled much further than the couch in front
of the TV often have that reaction to the phrase. On that note, it was rare
in the old days (in the early 60's, when Americans where rare as hens teeth
down under) to hear an Aussie use the word "shrimp" ... they mostly called
them prawns.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message
When I hear an American use it I want to laugh right out loud.

Go ahead ... folks who haven't traveled much further than the couch in
front
of the TV often have that reaction to the phrase. On that note, it was
rare
in the old days (in the early 60's, when Americans where rare as hens
teeth
down under) to hear an Aussie use the word "shrimp" ... they mostly called
them prawns.

LOL... They started calling them Shrimp when the prawns shrunk. I have seen
prawns a few times and they are BIG.

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

The pieces are mostly right triangles with 5" sides. I'll probably keep
some in case I get a smoke box for my charcoal grill, but I've got way more
than I need. I just thought I'd try to share the wealth.

todd

.net...

"todd" wrote in message
I recently finished laying a mesquite floor here in the western suburbs of
Chicago. (In fact, they're downstairs sanding as I type this.) As such,
I have a quantity of scraps that I was going to throw out. Before I do, I
thought I would just ask if anyone might want them. I don't know if
they'd be good for smoking meat, but I thought I'd just ask before
discarding them since it's not a wood we see much of up here.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"todd" wrote in message
The pieces are mostly right triangles with 5" sides. I'll probably keep
some in case I get a smoke box for my charcoal grill, but I've got way
more than I need. I just thought I'd try to share the wealth.

todd

Pie pan & foil = smoke box.

Since it is a charcoal grill, just toss some of the wood on top of the
coals.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:09:24 -0500, "todd" wrote:

I recently finished laying a mesquite floor here in the western suburbs of
Chicago. (In fact, they're downstairs sanding as I type this.) As such, I
have a quantity of scraps that I was going to throw out. Before I do, I
thought I would just ask if anyone might want them. I don't know if they'd
be good for smoking meat, but I thought I'd just ask before discarding them
since it's not a wood we see much of up here.

You willing to ship them north? I don't get down near Chicago much,
but I'd be happy to get my mitts on them for inlay and segmented
turnings.

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:09:24 -0500, "todd" wrote:

I recently finished laying a mesquite floor here in the western suburbs of
Chicago. (In fact, they're downstairs sanding as I type this.) As such,
have a quantity of scraps that I was going to throw out. Before I do, I
thought I would just ask if anyone might want them. I don't know if
they'd
be good for smoking meat, but I thought I'd just ask before discarding
them
since it's not a wood we see much of up here.

You willing to ship them north? I don't get down near Chicago much,
but I'd be happy to get my mitts on them for inlay and segmented
turnings.

If you pay the shipping, I'll put em in a box. Send me an email...my reply
email is valid.

todd

Mesquite floor - update todd Woodworking 4 May 28th 06 03:53 AM
Wood filler for mesquite Dick Pewthers Woodworking 14 October 30th 05 04:29 AM
Mesquite Mike Pio Woodworking 67 September 26th 04 09:51 AM
Mesquite turners. RW Woodturning 9 August 12th 04 05:18 AM
Harry Potter Magic Wands + Scraps + Kids = FUN charlie b Woodworking 7 August 11th 04 08:37 PM