charlie b

Default Harry Potter Magic Wands + Scraps + Kids = FUN

The summer's almost over and none of the neighborhood kids
could come up with summer woodworking projects. Then
the Harry Potter movie came out. "Can we make me a magic
wand?"

Magic Wands are perfect projects. A handle about 4 to 5
inches long, maybe 3/4 to one inch in diameter, the wand
end - 7 to 10 inches long, tapering from maybe 5/8 inches
to almost 1/4 inch. All those scraps and cut offs suddenly
become magic wand material and half the tools in the shop
get used.

Rip to get a square piece then turn them loose with a
block plane, SurForm or spoke shave to knock off the
corners then off to the mini-lathe to get the handle
round. You do the turning and they do the sanding to
make it nice and smooth. They block plane or spoke
shave or SurForm or sand the wand taper. You set up
the handle on the drill press and they drill the dowel
hole. Another drill press set up for drilling the
dowel hole on the wand part and they do the drilling.
They do the dowel glueing. They pick the finish and
Viola! - their very own magic wand!

So far
a rosewood handled bubinga wand
a maple handled ebony wand
a padouk handled pruple heart wand

On the list
mahogany handled maple wand
teak handled sage orange wand

Fun projects for kids and adult sorcerer's
assistant. And a worthy use of those precious
scraps you just couldn't part with. The
memories created will linger long after
a belief in magic is lost.

Will post some pics to a.b.p.w. when I can get
the ones already done back for a photo session.
Am hoping to include kids' descriptions of their
magic wands as well.

charlie b
J. Clarke

charlie b wrote:

[...]

But where do you get the phoenix feather?

charlie b

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Dan Valleskey

You got fancy with it. My 8 y.o. HP wannabe is stuck with a pretty
little piece of cherry turned down. I did all the work, handed it to
him. I told him to let me know if it worked.

-Dan V.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:53:35 -0700, charlie b
wrote:

[...]

Wayne K.

Just imagining all these kids running around the neighborhood now playing
Pirates of the Caribbean. It's all fun and games till somebody loses an
eye.
Then the inquisition starts "where did you get that pointed stick?" "Mr.
Charlie made it for me."
You should put a warning label on them.
Some people just have to take the fun out of everything.
Wayne K.

"charlie b" wrote in message
[...]

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:11:59 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
charlie b wrote:

So far
a rosewood handled bubinga wand
a maple handled ebony wand
a padouk handled pruple heart wand

But where do you get the phoenix feather?

Mail order from Ollivander's, Diagon Alley, London UK, of course.

Dave Hinz
charlie b

J.Clarke
But where do you get the phoenix feather?

In Phoenix of course

Dan V
You got fancy with it. My 8 y.o. HP wannabe is stuck with a pretty
little piece of cherry turned down. I did all the work, handed it to
him. I told him to let me know if it worked.

Kid + imagination = magic (the wand is merely a catalyst

Wayne K.
Just imagining all these kids running around the neighborhood now
playing Pirates of the Caribbean.

Pirates of the Caribbean?

It's all fun and games till somebody
loses an eye. Then the inquisition starts "where did you get that pointed
stick?" "Mr. Charlie made it for me."

Wands are delivered to parent(s) along with a suggestion
"The Two Foot Rule"
(the tip of the wand can't get closer than two feet of another
human or the magic stops working) and that if the child
misbehaves the wand goes away for a day or two.

You should put a warning label on them.
Some people just have to take the fun out of everything.

Not in my neighborhood. The adults all keep an eye on
the kids and don't hesitate to intervene if te kids are
doing something they shoulldn't.

Kids sure keep things interesting

charlie b

..
J. Clarke

charlie b wrote:

J.Clarke
But where do you get the phoenix feather?

In Phoenix of course

Dan V
You got fancy with it. My 8 y.o. HP wannabe is stuck with a pretty
little piece of cherry turned down. I did all the work, handed it to
him. I told him to let me know if it worked.

Kid + imagination = magic (the wand is merely a catalyst

Wayne K.
Just imagining all these kids running around the neighborhood now
playing Pirates of the Caribbean.

Pirates of the Caribbean?

Currently playing on one or the other of the premium cable channels. Rather
amusing actually, if you go in for humorous ghost stories.

.