Gene T

Default Harry Potter Magic Wands + Scraps + Kids = FUN

Charlie,
Someone is selling the same type of wands on Ebay.
Gene
"charlie b" wrote in message
The summer's almost over and none of the neighborhood kids
could come up with summer woodworking projects. Then
the Harry Potter movie came out. "Can we make me a magic
wand?"

Magic Wands are perfect projects. A handle about 4 to 5
inches long, maybe 3/4 to one inch in diameter, the wand
end - 7 to 10 inches long, tapering from maybe 5/8 inches
to almost 1/4 inch. All those scraps and cut offs suddenly
become magic wand material and half the tools in the shop
get used.

Rip to get a square piece then turn them loose with a
block plane, SurForm or spoke shave to knock off the
corners then off to the mini-lathe to get the handle
round. You do the turning and they do the sanding to
make it nice and smooth. They block plane or spoke
shave or SurForm or sand the wand taper. You set up
the handle on the drill press and they drill the dowel
hole. Another drill press set up for drilling the
dowel hole on the wand part and they do the drilling.
They do the dowel glueing. They pick the finish and
Viola! - their very own magic wand!

So far
a rosewood handled bubinga wand
a maple handled ebony wand
a padouk handled pruple heart wand

On the list
mahogany handled maple wand
teak handled sage orange wand

Fun projects for kids and adult sorcerer's
assistant. And a worthy use of those precious
scraps you just couldn't part with. The
memories created will linger long after
a belief in magic is lost.

Will post some pics to a.b.p.w. when I can get
the ones already done back for a photo session.
Am hoping to include kids' descriptions of their
magic wands as well.

charlie b