Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default Mesquite floor - update

I had asked some questions at the beginning of the month regarding laying a
mesquite floor. The first was whether or not to use an underlayment or not
as the floor is glued down. I ended up nailing down 1/4" plywood every 6
inches per the APA recommendations. That was 3 weeks ago and my lower back
is still recovering from being stooped over with a nail gun for several
hours while I put in 3000 nails.

Especially for James Cubby Culbertson, I went through 15 gallons of Bostik's
Best urethane adhesive. My overall impression is that after using that
stuff, a nailed-down floor sounds like a piece of cake. My thoughts are
that a) it's easier to work with when it's warm and b) it wouldn't be so bad
if I could open a 5 gal container and just keep going until it was empty.
But I would generally stop after several rows to make sure that they were
pushed together tight. Then, the next day, I would have to cut away the
cured product on the top. I would also agree that the Bostik's Best
Adhesive Remover is a must-have product. It works like 10 times better than
mineral spirits.

The bottom line is that the floor laying portion is now complete. I put
down about 565 square feet and my father and I worked on it for two weekends
and I worked on it by myself for another weekend. Since, apparently, my
wife did not think this was difficult enough to begin with, she decided that
she wanted it laid at a 45 deg angle. I was prepared for an additional
amount of scrap with this, but even with it, I didn't get much. I figure I
ended up with only about 3% scrap. I had planned for more, so if anyone is
intereted in about 67 SF of mesquite flooring, let me know.

I'm now in the process of finding someone to sand and finish it. Most of
the quotes I have gotten are in the $2/SF area. If anyone here knows of a
sander/finisher in the western Chicago suburbs, let me know.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"todd" wrote in message

I'm now in the process of finding someone to sand and finish it. Most of
the quotes I have gotten are in the $2/SF area.

That would be a reasonable price down here in Houston. Do yourself a favor
and thoroughly check out your finishers ... they can negate all your hard
work quicker than it takes to tell.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"todd" wrote in message

I'm now in the process of finding someone to sand and finish it. Most of
the quotes I have gotten are in the $2/SF area. If anyone here knows of a
sander/finisher in the western Chicago suburbs, let me know.

todd

I would go with what Swingman is suggesting and perhaps educate yourself
before going out there and looking. I would give these guys a call and ask
questions about finishing. They have a store between Houston and Austin, TX
that is set up to sell Mesquite lumber in addition to furniture, paneling,
and IIRC flooring.

http://www.texaskilnproducts.com/txkiln1.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Since, apparently, my wife did not think this was difficult enough to begin with, she decided that
she wanted it laid at a 45 deg angle. I was prepared for an additional
amount of scrap with this, but even with it, I didn't get much.

I'm now in the process of finding someone to sand and finish it. Most of
the quotes I have gotten are in the $2/SF area. If anyone here knows of a
sander/finisher in the western Chicago suburbs, let me know.

todd

You may have increased the sanding cost by laying it at 45deg. When
you ask for quotes - by phone - not where the guy actually looks at
the floor, be sure to mention this detail. No surprises.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"todd" wrote in message
Especially for James Cubby Culbertson, I went through 15 gallons of
Bostik's Best urethane adhesive. My overall impression is that after
using that stuff, a nailed-down floor sounds like a piece of cake. My
thoughts are that a) it's easier to work with when it's warm and b) it
wouldn't be so bad if I could open a 5 gal container and just keep going
until it was empty. But I would generally stop after several rows to make
sure that they were pushed together tight. Then, the next day, I would
have to cut away the cured product on the top. I would also agree that
the Bostik's Best Adhesive Remover is a must-have product. It works like
10 times better than mineral spirits.
todd

Todd,
I'm glad some of my advice was useful! I hated using that stuff and like
you, believe a nail down install would be a piece of cake now. I still
find the odd mark on the floor where I left a spot of glue but the remover
seems to work pretty well even after it's cured a while. I put down about
750 sf of the stuff all by myself and a couple of months later, I'm thrilled
by what I got done but vow not to do it again! I did go the prefinished
route so I feel for you there but I do think you're being smart at farming
it out. Sit back, sip your favorite beverage and let them at it!
Cheers,
cc

More questions on mesquite flooring todd Woodworking 7 May 6th 06 01:08 AM
Wood filler for mesquite Dick Pewthers Woodworking 14 October 30th 05 04:29 AM
Mesquite Source? ROBERT IVEY Woodturning 3 January 28th 05 02:58 AM
Mesquite Mike Pio Woodworking 67 September 26th 04 09:51 AM
Mesquite turners. RW Woodturning 9 August 12th 04 05:18 AM