Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Small Corner Cabinet

Hey all:

Wife asked me to build a small corner cabinet in a lav that we have.
It needed to be about 12x12x32.

Did it in about two days, using mostly scrap pine, poplar and some
scrap beadboard. Finished it with some oak for the outer siding rails
and top fascia plate. Never made a trip to the Depot! All was in
house!

I have a question? What to use for the top... I was thinking about
getting a 12" stair tread and cutting to fit. But I also thought some
of those new engineered materials like you would put on a kitchen
counter like Corian or Zodiaq or even make a Crete mold. I am sure I
can get a scrap of something pretty cheap!

Here is a progress of the build if anyone care's to see.

http://www.fvfowler.com/cabinet/index.html

Any ideas or comments are much appreciated! TIA

Phred
Posted to rec.woodworking

Very nice! I love the satisfaction of making something useful out of
stuff I already have just laying around the shop.

A piece of Corian or something similar would look great if you think you
have the tools and the know-how to work with it. Personally, I would
stick with theme of the oak frame. Glue up a rectangular slab from 3/4"
or thicker oak boards (unless you already have something wide enough),
cut it on a 45 large enough to give you a little bit of overhang on the
front, and maybe put an ogee or a roundover on the front.

Charlie
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:44:25 -0600, "Charlie M. 1958"
scribed:

Very nice! I love the satisfaction of making something useful out of
stuff I already have just laying around the shop.

A piece of Corian or something similar would look great if you think you
have the tools and the know-how to work with it. Personally, I would
stick with theme of the oak frame. Glue up a rectangular slab from 3/4"
or thicker oak boards (unless you already have something wide enough),
cut it on a 45 large enough to give you a little bit of overhang on the
front, and maybe put an ogee or a roundover on the front.

Charlie

Hey Charlie! Thanks for the reply.

I made a template out of cork sheet we had and took it in to the
company that made our granite countertops. Asked nicely if they had a
piece of ANY scrap about that size and they found me a piece of
Alabaster marble and would route the edges and square the back.

Price was $25.00 - It was scrap and were just using as a sample in the
showroom. I guess it always pays to ask!

I will update the finished project website when I have delivery of the
top.

In any case, it was a fun project to do with just the bit's and pieces
hanging around the wood shop. Also a certain satisfaction of doing it
on the cheap... Cost me nearly nothing...

Best

Phred

Small corner cabinet plans? Phred Woodworking 0 December 31st 06 06:10 PM
CORNER CABINET J T Woodworking 2 January 6th 06 04:41 PM
help with reparing chewed corner of cabinet [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 16th 05 02:21 PM
Corner Cabinet Construction Mike Pio Woodworking 6 September 29th 05 12:57 AM
Faceframe on a 45 degree corner cabinet. good ol' Bob Home Repair 3 October 31st 04 06:23 PM