Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fininshing a bee hive

I have made a Zambian style bee hive for a customer. Problem is what
do I finish it with as the handbook with the plans does not give any
hints.
Wood primer and outdoor enamel?
Spar Varnish?
Exterior poly?
Generic material types would help as we do not get the brand names you
normally mention.
Thanks

******

eat the samoosa to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phil Hansen wrote:
I have made a Zambian style bee hive for a customer. Problem is what
do I finish it with as the handbook with the plans does not give any
hints.
Wood primer and outdoor enamel?
Spar Varnish?
Exterior poly?

All the beehives I've seen were painted white, but if I ever saw a
Zambian style hive, its ethnicity was not apparent. I got curious and
did a quick google search. I found lots of advice from the people who
sell beekeeping supplies. They recommend painting the outside only
with latex paint, and one even sells a special paint that's supposed to
breathe better. I'd be very careful about using smelly or toxic
products.

DonkeyHody
"In theory, theory and practice should be the same. But in practice,
they're not."

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Pat is offline

I know a beekeeper that dips his hives in melted paraffin colored white.
The white color helps cool the hive in sunshine. Many times hives are left
unfinished.

"Phil Hansen" wrote in message
I have made a Zambian style bee hive for a customer. Problem is what
do I finish it with as the handbook with the plans does not give any
hints.
Wood primer and outdoor enamel?
Spar Varnish?
Exterior poly?
Generic material types would help as we do not get the brand names you
normally mention.
Thanks

******

eat the samoosa to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the suggestions.
I think the white latex (acrylic here) is the way to go.

******

eat the samoosa to reply

Busy Bee David Merrill Woodworking 9 September 29th 06 05:25 PM
OBSERVATION BEE HIVE J T Woodworking 4 September 21st 06 01:15 AM
KENYAN HIVE ADAPTED FOR CALIFORNIA J T Woodworking 1 August 25th 05 04:00 PM
OBSERVATION HIVE J T Woodworking 0 August 17th 05 09:19 PM
bee swarm question for the bee experts Tim Mitchell UK diy 50 June 26th 05 10:24 PM