Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default OBSERVATION BEE HIVE

http://members.aol.com/beetools/obhive.htm

This'd be kinda neat in a window.

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn
well they're after me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Great design there!
Just remember to make neat fit removable side covers for it (ply/masonite or
mdf) with handles and those swinging things to keep them on the perspex or
glass. IME they work better in the dark and don't have to spend all their
time blocking out the light & freezing their little backsides off.
Jock

"J T" wrote in message
http://members.aol.com/beetools/obhive.htm

This'd be kinda neat in a window.

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn
well they're after me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bees are absolutely fascinating. There is something amazing about taking off
the top of a hive and looking into a working super. Also, except for the
buzzing of the bees it tends to be very private and quiet. Where do all
those people go in a hurry?
By the way, when making a hive keep all movement areas for the bees to a
mzimum of 3/8" or the little suckers will glue the thing together on you.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

"J T" wrote in message
http://members.aol.com/beetools/obhive.htm

This'd be kinda neat in a window.

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn
well they're after me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Tim is offline

J T wrote:
http://members.aol.com/beetools/obhive.htm

This'd be kinda neat in a window.

I have made a nice Observation hive out of red oak. It had a mortised
lock in the lid to prevent someone from "accidentally" opening it. I
also used black 1/4 inch artists board (styrofoam sandwiched between
two heavy pieces of black paper found at any art supply shop), to use
as "Privacy curtains" for the bees. They would slide in and out as
needed on the outside of the plexiglass. Do NOT finish the inside of
the hive with any stain, varnish etc., leave it bare wood. Also make
sure base is wide enough to give solid support and prevent the
otherwise top-heavy hive from falling over...Bzzzzzzzz, OUCH!
The only problem is you really can't keep a hive like this going for
long. Maybe if you really work at it someone has but they need a large
hive to store plenty of honey for winter. Unless you constantly change
out filled frames of capped brood, (baby bees in the comb and place in
a real hive), the bees would want to swarm. Very challenging! Also as
was mentioned pay close attention to "Bee space"! Bees like 3/8 inch of
space between frames and frames, frames and walls. If too large a space
they will build comb. If too narrow, they will plug it up! Either way
it makes it harder to remove frames from hive.
But it is very cool observing the bees at work! I have some pics if you
would like to see the observation hive as it was just finished.
Tim

Posted to rec.woodworking

One of my many former hobbies was bee keeping. Still kind of miss it
but living in the city with close neighbors prone to spraying
insecticide willy nilly and who panic when a swarm alights on their
front door is a real drawback. Previous posters were correct,
observation hives aren't big enough to sustain a colony for long so be
prepared for swarms and to feed them over winter or buy new ones every
year. Many years ago I saw an observation hive that was in a service
station. It was made from the plexiglass gunners dome of a WWII
bomber. Now that was one large observation hive. Bees are fasinating
to watch though and interesting as hell. I have a story about a swarm
I gave away that people don't believe. Good luck.

Laguna vs MiniMax, a persion observation. Leon Woodworking 26 April 4th 06 10:50 AM
KENYAN HIVE ADAPTED FOR CALIFORNIA J T Woodworking 1 August 25th 05 04:00 PM
OBSERVATION HIVE J T Woodworking 0 August 17th 05 09:19 PM
My observation David Marks David Woodworking 39 May 27th 05 11:01 PM