DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fininshing a bee hive (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/188134-fininshing-bee-hive.html)

Phil Hansen January 4th 07 09:48 AM

Fininshing a bee hive

I have made a Zambian style bee hive for a customer. Problem is what
do I finish it with as the handbook with the plans does not give any
hints.
Wood primer and outdoor enamel?
Spar Varnish?
Exterior poly?
Generic material types would help as we do not get the brand names you
normally mention.
Thanks

******

eat the samoosa to reply

DonkeyHody January 5th 07 04:06 AM

Fininshing a bee hive

Phil Hansen wrote:
I have made a Zambian style bee hive for a customer. Problem is what
do I finish it with as the handbook with the plans does not give any
hints.
Wood primer and outdoor enamel?
Spar Varnish?
Exterior poly?

All the beehives I've seen were painted white, but if I ever saw a
Zambian style hive, its ethnicity was not apparent. I got curious and
did a quick google search. I found lots of advice from the people who
sell beekeeping supplies. They recommend painting the outside only
with latex paint, and one even sells a special paint that's supposed to
breathe better. I'd be very careful about using smelly or toxic
products.

DonkeyHody
"In theory, theory and practice should be the same. But in practice,
they're not."

Pat January 5th 07 04:20 AM

Fininshing a bee hive

I know a beekeeper that dips his hives in melted paraffin colored white.
The white color helps cool the hive in sunshine. Many times hives are left
unfinished.

Phil Hansen January 5th 07 05:26 PM

Fininshing a bee hive

Thanks for the suggestions.
I think the white latex (acrylic here) is the way to go.

******

eat the samoosa to reply