Posted to rec.woodworking

Default rotary gun rack

I really need some help here. Does anyone know where I can buy a set
of plans for a rotary gun rack? Saw an ad in Shotgun News, but it
turned out to be discontinued. No luck on ebay, any firearm forum, or
using "ask". Anyone?

Posted to rec.woodworking

cheoreomacv wrote:

I really need some help here. Does anyone know where I can buy a set
of plans for a rotary gun rack? Saw an ad in Shotgun News, but it
turned out to be discontinued. No luck on ebay, any firearm forum, or
using "ask". Anyone?

Like a store display rack? You need plans for one??? Just go to the
store, look at theirs, make some notes and go clone it like Norm would.
It's not brain surgery...

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Like a store display rack? You need plans for one??? Just go to the
store, look at theirs, make some notes and go clone it like Norm would.
It's not brain surgery...

That's right. Once you get into the lofty atmosphere of a pro, it's
actually hard to tolerate someone that even needs plans. Plans are for
losers.

So, for all of us losers that need or want them from time to time
whether it be for measurements, design, tips, tricks, material lists,
hardware sources, etc., or anything else that you might WANT plans for
(???) try this:

http://tinyurl.com/ydupdz

Try a google search under "revolving gun rack" and you will find
success.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Dec 2006 08:06:46 -0800, wrote:

Like a store display rack? You need plans for one??? Just go to the
store, look at theirs, make some notes and go clone it like Norm would.
It's not brain surgery...

That's right. Once you get into the lofty atmosphere of a pro, it's
actually hard to tolerate someone that even needs plans. Plans are for
losers.

So, for all of us losers that need or want them from time to time
whether it be for measurements, design, tips, tricks, material lists,
hardware sources, etc., or anything else that you might WANT plans for
(???) try this:

http://tinyurl.com/ydupdz

Try a google search under "revolving gun rack" and you will find
success.

Robert makes a good point above, if you are doing a search, sometimes
searching for the item you are after using a synonym will resolve your
problem if you have no luck with your original search criteria (i.e.,
revolving rather than rotary).

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Pete C.
wrote:

I suppose I'm never interested in plans for an item because I never want
to clone it exactly. I always find something that I want to change or
adjust to better fit my needs, it's half the justification for building
vs. just buying something off the shelf.

What are these "plans" that I keep reading about?
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, Dec 26, 2006, 8:06am (EST-3) doth burble:
That's right. Once you get into the lofty atmosphere of a pro, it's
actually hard to tolerate someone that even needs plans. Plans are for
losers. snip

My first thought when I read that was, "What a crock". My second
thought when I red that was, "What a crock".

Any time a pro makes a one-off there may, or may not be plans
involved. I'm not a prob, but there seldom are plans involved.
However, there may, or may not be some measurements written down,
usually not. Most of my one-offs I prefer to wing it. More fun that
way.

But any time a pro makes duplicates of something, there are plans
involved. Might just be some measurements written down, maybe a story
stick, but something that will allow making identical copies - which is
what plans are after all. Just because they're no drawings on a piece
of paper, and you can't understand how it's done because of that,
doesn't make it not a plan. Sounds like the pros "do" tolerate people
needing plans after all.

I know of people who are talented enough to about make a scaled
plan of whatever they want to make without even using any drafting
tools. They're skilled enough to use no plans at all if they wanted.
Some of them do make their own detailed plans, and then work from them.
Others work from someone else's plans. They work from plans because
they like to work from plans. Pierod.

Then there's the people who like to work from other people's plans,
but make their own changes.

Then there's the people who like to look at plans, take an idea
from one plan, one from another, and make up their own plans. I'm kinda
in this area because I love to look at plans for inspiration.

Then there's the people who just decide what they want to make, how
they want to make it, or want it to do, and then go ahead and make it.
Maybe some measurements, maybe a rough sketch or two, or maybe just in
their mind. This is basically where I'm at. I've found out I can
pretty much visualize what I want to make, then go thru different
thought processes of how to do it. It may not be pretty, and I'm
inclined to paint some stuff yellow (often just to wind up the too-tight
people), but so far everything pretty much works the way I want it to.
And anytime I want to make dupes of anything I make patterns.

Like the man said, it ain't brain surgery. But personally, I
wouldn't want a rotating gun rack.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 261220061241086700%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Pete C.
wrote:

I suppose I'm never interested in plans for an item because I never want
to clone it exactly. I always find something that I want to change or
adjust to better fit my needs, it's half the justification for building
vs. just buying something off the shelf.

What are these "plans" that I keep reading about?

They show what you built was *supposed* to look like. grin

`
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Robert Bonomi
wrote:

In article 261220061241086700%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Pete C.
wrote:

I suppose I'm never interested in plans for an item because I never want
to clone it exactly. I always find something that I want to change or
adjust to better fit my needs, it's half the justification for building
vs. just buying something off the shelf.

What are these "plans" that I keep reading about?

They show what you built was *supposed* to look like. grin

But... how would anyone else but me *know* that?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

| I've even scaled from magazine photos of products.

Geez - I've been stonkered just trying to picture a rotating gun. Are
the magazines stationary or do they rotate too?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

| I've even scaled from magazine photos of products.

Geez - I've been stonkered just trying to picture a rotating gun. Are
the magazines stationary or do they rotate too?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

The magazine is stationary and the rotary gun is belt fed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Pete C. wrote:
I'm not a "pro", indeed I'm predominantly a metalworker, with wood on
the side. I am however pretty good at adapting and cloning designs from
things I've seen.

Knife maker?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Bonomi wrote:

What are these "plans" that I keep reading about?

They show what you built was *supposed* to look like. grin

Like the shed I bought recently, the plans look like a mansion, however
when built looks like the house from Greenacres.

Charles

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pete C. wrote:

Morris Dovey wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

| I've even scaled from magazine photos of products.

Geez - I've been stonkered just trying to picture a rotating gun. Are
the magazines stationary or do they rotate too?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

The magazine is stationary and the rotary gun is belt fed.

You've got it wrong the barrel is curved to the horizon so when you
fire, the high powered ammunition spins in a circle ;-) Charles

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chilla wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
I'm not a "pro", indeed I'm predominantly a metalworker, with wood on
the side. I am however pretty good at adapting and cloning designs from
things I've seen.

Knife maker?

"Certified Jack of All Trades", fairly decent at most. See my crappy
site for a look at a few projects I've thrown some stuff up about
http://wpnet.us

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chilla wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Morris Dovey wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

| I've even scaled from magazine photos of products.

Geez - I've been stonkered just trying to picture a rotating gun. Are
the magazines stationary or do they rotate too?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

The magazine is stationary and the rotary gun is belt fed.

You've got it wrong the barrel is curved to the horizon so when you
fire, the high powered ammunition spins in a circle ;-) Charles

Corkscrew stabilization?

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 15:12:14 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Robert Bonomi
wrote:

In article 261220061241086700%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Pete C.
wrote:

I suppose I'm never interested in plans for an item because I never want
to clone it exactly. I always find something that I want to change or
adjust to better fit my needs, it's half the justification for building
vs. just buying something off the shelf.

What are these "plans" that I keep reading about?

They show what you built was *supposed* to look like. grin

But... how would anyone else but me *know* that?

Ah, so it now comes out. Those who don't use plans use this tactic
because that way nobody can see how things came out differently than
originally envisioned. Diabolically clever. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 15:12:14 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Robert Bonomi
wrote:

In article 261220061241086700%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Pete C.
wrote:

I suppose I'm never interested in plans for an item because I never want
to clone it exactly. I always find something that I want to change or
adjust to better fit my needs, it's half the justification for building
vs. just buying something off the shelf.

What are these "plans" that I keep reading about?

They show what you built was *supposed* to look like. grin

But... how would anyone else but me *know* that?

Ah, so it now comes out. Those who don't use plans use this tactic
because that way nobody can see how things came out differently than
originally envisioned. Diabolically clever. :-)

Heh. Caught.

The jewelry box I managed to finish for SWMBO this year (pics to come)
started out by looking through a couple of Doug Stowes' books, then
evolved and morphed in my mind for a while as I looked for wood (cherry
and maple as it turned out, although the maple came later, when I
decided to put a drawer in the thing) then planed, glued up some for a
lid, pondered some more... made a mistake cutting one piece so revised
again... Etc.

I guess I find working from plans, well, *boring*. I don't want to make
something that's been made before by somebody else. I like looking at
plans to get ideas about how things have been done before and learn
from history, but that's really the extent of my desired involvement
with them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 23:12:43 GMT, "Pete C." wrote:

.... snip

"Certified Jack of All Trades", fairly decent at most. See my crappy
site for a look at a few projects I've thrown some stuff up about
http://wpnet.us

Very nice projects. I'd say more than fairly decent.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pete C. wrote:
"Certified Jack of All Trades", fairly decent at most. See my crappy
site for a look at a few projects I've thrown some stuff up about
http://wpnet.us

Yeah I'm a JOT as well, not by design, but through necessity. I forge,
cast, mould, make all the tooling and equipment etc. etc. etc.

I am a Cutler by choice, but do a lot of other things as necessary or as
the wind takes me :-)

Regards Charles

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:24:40 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

I guess I find working from plans, well, *boring*. I don't want to make
something that's been made before by somebody else. I like looking at
plans to get ideas about how things have been done before and learn
from history, but that's really the extent of my desired involvement
with them.

I guess I am more pragmatic in this regard (at least right now). My
desire is to create things of utility as well as well-crafted and good
looking. Thus, if I need something, for example an entertainment center,
and can find a plan that has all the details worked out that fits my (and
of course the Overlord's) esthetics, then I will use the plans. I may make
modifications; for example, for the entertainment center, I replaced the
somewhat simplistic lower shelves with drawers in order to assure reduction
in future clutter, but for the most part, the plans are a means of laying
out the design without having to spend the design time to get there.

On the other hand, if I can't find plans for something that is going to
meet my needs, then I will design my own and draft up my own plans. I do
go to the extent of making drawings to make sure that the dimensions and
proportions look right and to identify any issues that might occur in
construction. I do not draft in the joinery methods or dimensions for the
joinery -- that I do when building the piece; I don't have the patience to
do 3D CAD mortise & tenons. Once the drawing is complete, I will start the
real construction. This is where your method does have its advantage --
there are times when, shall we say, adjustments need to be made because a
mortise was cut in the wrong location or a rail was interchanged with a
different rail of different dimension. While the end piece comes out
looking fine, there is still that paper trail showing that it wasn't
exactly as designed. (It was an engineering change -- yeah, that's the
ticket).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Ah, so it now comes out. Those who don't use plans use this tactic
because that way nobody can see how things came out differently than
originally envisioned. Diabolically clever. :-)

I sometimes use plans. It's nice to have a fully scaled drawing to note
engineering changes on.

Bill

--
Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're
doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0662-2, 12/26/2006
Tested on: 12/26/2006 11:29:10 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M61_Vulcan

--
There are two kinds of light--the glow that illuminates, and the glare
that obscures.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0662-2, 12/26/2006
Tested on: 12/26/2006 11:43:42 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Was: rotary gun rack

I used to work from plans. I was new.

Took a class at the Adult Ed woodshop, and decided to make the clock from
the Fine Woodworking magazine, becasue it was classier than the the one
that they were using, maybe ten years old, and from 'another magazine'.

Great looking cherry wood, including some really neat stuff that I resawed
from a nice piece that a friend gave me. I got to a particular place in
the process, and got stuck. It didn't work the way it was drawn or
measured. So I started again with some nice figured maple. And got stuck
again, in pretty much the same place.

Some folks can't immediately see where the plans were wrong.

A trip to Woodcraft, and four tools later, I had three ways of fixing the
problem. Now there are two Shaker style clocks with reproduction period
works in them, in my small den.

And I seldom work from plans any more.

Some things I can screw up on my own just fine, thank you very much.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pete C. wrote:

go clone it like Norm would.

Please, rather better than that I hope! It's a good while since I
needed to tar a piece of good cabinetmaking.

Gun Rack/Cabinet Plan .... Just the rack part... bremen68 Woodworking 4 February 13th 07 02:02 AM
INSPIRATION - Gun Rack J T Woodworking 0 February 7th 05 06:25 AM
Gun rack plans Patrick Fischer Woodworking 2 January 1st 05 07:33 PM
pro gun/anti-gun GMasterman Metalworking 0 November 26th 04 11:45 PM
OT- Writer Mark Steyn Compares Gun(g) Ho America To "Civilized" Europe or Why Law Abiding Gun Owners Reduce Crime Gunner Metalworking 26 January 11th 04 03:58 PM