Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone Dave Balderstone is offline

Default rotary gun rack

In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 15:12:14 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Robert Bonomi
wrote:

In article 261220061241086700%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Pete C.
wrote:

I suppose I'm never interested in plans for an item because I never want
to clone it exactly. I always find something that I want to change or
adjust to better fit my needs, it's half the justification for building
vs. just buying something off the shelf.

What are these "plans" that I keep reading about?

They show what you built was *supposed* to look like. grin

But... how would anyone else but me *know* that?

Ah, so it now comes out. Those who don't use plans use this tactic
because that way nobody can see how things came out differently than
originally envisioned. Diabolically clever. :-)

Heh. Caught.

The jewelry box I managed to finish for SWMBO this year (pics to come)
started out by looking through a couple of Doug Stowes' books, then
evolved and morphed in my mind for a while as I looked for wood (cherry
and maple as it turned out, although the maple came later, when I
decided to put a drawer in the thing) then planed, glued up some for a
lid, pondered some more... made a mistake cutting one piece so revised
again... Etc.

I guess I find working from plans, well, *boring*. I don't want to make
something that's been made before by somebody else. I like looking at
plans to get ideas about how things have been done before and learn
from history, but that's really the extent of my desired involvement
with them.