Posted to rec.woodworking

Default We we make samples

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
I'm almost done with a Mission sideboard for my dining room. I made a
sample door panel to practice inlaying and show my wife inlays made of
QSWO (like the door), cherry. and maple, and give her the final
choice. The practice inlays came out GREAT! I sanded the panel,
spray bombed it with shellac & lacquer to get a better finished
effect, let it dry, and brought it to her.

Her: "What are those?"
Me: "Inlays, just like the Stickley sideboard you like"
Her: "I really like the door better without them"

So, I'll have three chamfered panels, and no inlay... G

I feel your pain.

I find SWMBO doesn't visualise well, so despite describing in detail what is
to be done, unless I can do a drawing Rembrant would have been happy with,
she can't see it, until I've made it and then she decides she doesn't like
it that way, and "Wouldn't it be easier if I left those bits off?"

E.G. SWMBO's mother recently had a stroke, now without getting too far into
the debate of what I can do for my dog that I can't do for her, her life is
pretty damned dismal. She will never, walk, sit or even eat again.

She can't see her TV in two of the three positions she spends each and every
hour in, so I say "I'll build her a trolley that the staff can wheel around
to match her position." So far so good.

I propose an H shaped arrangement with a double bar in the middle between
which is the DVD player. The TV fits into the space above the top bar and
corkboard covered doors close in front so pix of friends and relatives can
be positioned at her eye height.

SWMBO sees the H frame drawing and determines (magically without any
reference to scale or doimensions) that it will be too tall. I try to point
out that, it will be as tall as she wants it but no taller. She remains
firm. So until I present her with a drawing which shows the TV without the
doors or sides projecting either side of the TV, she is adamant that the
unit is too tall.

I give up and concede defeat.

I then say, "How high from the ground do you want the top of the TV?" That
was a mistake.

I get a very long story, with references to the mattress, bed, rails and
padding. None of which answers my question. I repeat the question and get
the same story, this time with the details in a different order

As Mr Smith of the TV show Lost in Space was fond of saying "The pain... the
pain."-

At least I havn't bought the corkboard in anticipation.

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

You might consider putting together a full-size model
of the piece using masking tape and poster board,
illustration board or something similar. It would help
those with different visualization skills. (I've even
used cut up cardboard boxes.)

Merry Christmas!

Jack Flatley
Jacksonville, Florida

--
One consolation about memory loss in old age is that
you also forget a lot of things you didn't intend to
"Mekon" wrote in message

> [...]
taller. She remains
| firm. So until I present her with a drawing which
shows the TV without the
| doors or sides projecting either side of the TV, she
is adamant that the
| unit is too tall.
|
| I give up and concede defeat.
|
| I then say, "How high from the ground do you want the
top of the TV?" That
| was a mistake.
|
| I get a very long story, with references to the
mattress, bed, rails and
| padding. None of which answers my question. I repeat
the question and get
| the same story, this time with the details in a
different order

| As Mr Smith of the TV show Lost in Space was fond of
saying "The pain... the
| pain."-
|
| At least I havn't bought the corkboard in

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I'm thinking about doing that, My wife wants a new entertainment center to
go under the new big screen TV I bought her for Christmas. I have it drawn
up in 3D CAD, complete with scale model of the TV and the walls it will go
up against. She still has a hard time visualizing what it will look like.
"John Flatley" wrote in message
You might consider putting together a full-size model
of the piece using masking tape and poster board,
illustration board or something similar. It would help
those with different visualization skills. (I've even
used cut up cardboard boxes.)

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Did that when building a cabinet for a built in warming drawer under a built
in oven with a built in microwave oven on top. My wife was concerned that
the microwave would be too tall for her height. Made a cardboard front and
measured and drew out each appliance with the required spacing between each
item to obtain her approval. Worked out well, she is happy.

Another story, in redecorating my grown son's room, she wanted a crown
moulding. The problem was the closet casing went from the floor to within 1
1/2" of the ceiling which meant that the crown moulding would have to be
terminated on each side. To get an idea of how close I should run the crown
moulding, I cut and terminated with a 45 degree wrap back to the wall to a
length of moulding. I then set up some poles to help support it and called
her in for approval while I held it up. Where I was standing in the middle
of a 16 foot length I could not see how close it ended up. I thought it was
a little long, and it would be easy to trim. She looked at it and said it
looked great, go ahead with it. After I nailed it up and was taking a rest
she went in the room and complained it was too close. She did not understand
that she had approved it in that location but was just looking to see if the
crown moulding looked good......... considering this was the second room, we
knew it looked good. Rather than destroy 16 feet of crown moulding in trying
to remove it, we just matched the other side of the closet the same way, and
it is still there.

"Mekon" wrote in message

> [...]
taller. She remains
| firm. So until I present her with a drawing which
shows the TV without the
| doors or sides projecting either side of the TV, she
is adamant that the
| unit is too tall.
|
| I give up and concede defeat.
|
| I then say, "How high from the ground do you want the
top of the TV?" That
| was a mistake.
|
| I get a very long story, with references to the
mattress, bed, rails and
| padding. None of which answers my question. I repeat
the question and get
| the same story, this time with the details in a
different order

| As Mr Smith of the TV show Lost in Space was fond of
saying "The pain... the
| pain."-
|
| At least I havn't bought the corkboard in

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Flatley" wrote in
:

You might consider putting together a full-size model
of the piece using masking tape and poster board,
illustration board or something similar. It would help
those with different visualization skills. (I've even
used cut up cardboard boxes.)

Merry Christmas!

Jack Flatley
Jacksonville, Florida

I've done the same with MDF...

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 16:18:06 GMT, "Mekon"
wrote:

At least I havn't bought the corkboard in anticipation.

I go though lots of MDF in anticipation. G

Gatorboard and hotmelt are my friends.

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
"...the new big screen TV I bought her for Christmas..."

Yeah, and I bought my wife a router...;+}

-Jim

Old Wood Samples brandom11 Woodworking 6 July 9th 17 02:50 PM
We we make samples Mark & Juanita Woodworking 0 December 24th 06 02:18 AM
We we make samples Leon Woodworking 0 December 24th 06 12:08 AM
Resaw Bragging Samples on a.b.p.w. Leon Woodworking 7 April 22nd 06 04:57 PM
Stain samples Sam Hopkins Woodworking 4 August 27th 03 04:33 PM